GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove factory grill?

I need to remove it in order to attach a billet grill to it, then reinstall both as a set. The billet comes with bolts that go through the plastic honeycomb OEM, but the straps that keep it in place are impossible to attach to the back unless I remove the OEM first, although they say you can. Lol...

(similar to this one: http://sestrims.com/v3/gmc-acadia-chrome-billet-grill-20082009-p-281.html )

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I can't get photos right now.
But I don't know that you will have to totally remove the grille to complete this project.
If you open the hood, running along the front section in a U shape there is a black plastic covering that hides the space between the grille and the radiator. There are some pop out clips and phillips screws holding that in place. .
When you have removed that cover, there are some more screws on the left and right sides in the back by the headlights. This is a tight spot, but when you remove those bolts, it allows more access to the back of the grille.
I will take photos tommorrow of it, and post them. It really isn't that bad. Once you start pulling the main plastic cover from the engine compartment, you will find the bolts that need to come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well I guess I had gotten about halfway there...

I previously took the plastic cover off, then looked around and didn't see anything else that looked removable. I guess it may have been my confidence level due to the fact that this is my wife's pride and joy...gotta be careful! I have taken my own car apart without giving it a second thought!

Standing by for the pics, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I didn't want to take mine apart, so hopefully these photos will help some. If you need a better photo let me know, i will see what I can do. By removing these screws, it will loosen the top part of the grille, hopefully that will give you enough room to get the new one mounted. If you have to take the grille totally off, I will not be able to help you further, Cause I have not done that. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just thought I'd add a couple of photos and suggestions. Make sure you remove the clip and screw (see pic) so that you can pull the bumper out enough to reach bolt with a wrench, it makes things a lot easier. Once you remove the plastic cover shown in the post above and then these to fasteners you can start removing the grille. There are I believe 4 screws on top of the grille to be removed (philips) and then two bolts on the interior (see second pic for where those are located; these require a 7mm wrench). Once those are removed you can begin "un-latching" the clips around the grille. Be careful, on the SLT/SLE models they are plastic and will break if pulled too hard. I suggest using a flathead screwdriver on the back side of these clips to allow them to release, you'll see what I'm talking about when you begin doing it. And that's it. I"ll also note, when I re-installed the Denali grille, the clips are different and don't seem like they snap in very well, but IMO if you can get a few to snap that will be enough to hold the grille on along with the 6 screws up top. This took me about 30-45 minutes to do but is very easy if your a DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For some reason the pics aren't uploading. If you need to see them email me and I can send them to you. All the pic shows however are the screw and clip that attaches the bumper to the frame that stands in between the grille and the headlamps.

·
Super Moderator
22,590 Posts
low23 said:
For some reason the pics aren't uploading. ...
Gee, I wonder why?? I guess the site administrators don't care to fix this long-term problem. Maybe they work for Toyota!! :facepalm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts