GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am just wondering what is the inspection process like for the paint on a new Acadia before it leaves the plant. My dealer has recieved the 08 I ordered. Its white with black specks all over the hood , that will not rub out and spots on the top, between the roof rails, that look like the paint is stained or actually eaten off by something like brake fluid. I am hoping if these items would have been spotted at the factory they would have been taken care of at that point and not just pushed down the line and delivered. After looking at it I am guessing that the damage is caused from shipment. The vehicle was delivered at night so no one was at the dealer to refuse it at that point. I know the dealer is making a claim to either the shipper and possably GM, I am not too clear on that.
The dealer is having to strip these areas down to the metal and repaint. If I am not happy with the job I can refuse it and walk away or order another.
My Uncle is a former employee, retired, out of the Tonawanda engine plant so I know the hours you all have been working to keep up with demand I just hope that this is not a factory problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't accept that vehicle regardless of how nice the repaint looks. A repaint can never match the clear coat texture (orange peel) , durability or long term color retention/gloss of the factory paint. Over time, the repainted areas will begin to dull and fade faster. It's happened to me twice and I'm now committed to rejecting any new car with even the smallest defect that requires anything other than light buffing to correct.

Almost funny story (in hindsight) - I battled with Honda for over a year to get my 2001 Odyssey replaced due to a bad factory paint job. I mistakenly accepted it by not taking the time to carefully inspect the vehicle at delivery. I also picked it up at night. Ironically, after finally getting Honda to agree to replace the vehicle it turned out that our 2002 replacement also had a paint flaw, although not nearly as severe as the first. I threw my hands up in the air and just decided to drive it. I was exhausted from the experience. I can laugh at it now but one week after getting the 2002, my wife was backing out of the drive and side-swiped her Mother's brand new Buick Century. The best body shop in the area couldn't exactly match the metallic red color or the clear coat texture although I had seen worse. We drove it for a year and traded it away.

For $30,000.00 plus you should expect and receive a near perfect factory fresh finish.

·
Registered
123 Posts
EXCELLENT ADVICE TOM H... I AGREE, DO NOT ACCEPT THE CAR.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MsS42 said:
EXCELLENT ADVICE TOM H... I AGREE, DO NOT ACCEPT THE CAR.
Do not take the vehicle. You should get another one with a discount from GM or the shipper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like it could be rail dust from shipping. And yes, it's a pain in the butt. If in fact it is rail dust, it's either wet sanding or get another vehicle. The rail dust (iron) just embeds itself. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What ever happened to covering the vehicle with a covering during transport? I would insist on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My money is on rail dust as well, and I would probably ask for another car too, but I have found that a clay bar with detailing spray can sometimes remove it. Good luck, Erik

·
Registered
122 Posts
Every car that gets shipped on a train has some amout of rail dust as well as a long list of other environmental contaminates. That is why I have clayed and waxed the last 5 new cars as soon as I took possession (provided the build date was 30 days or greater). The difference between the fresh factory finish and that same finish after claybar and wax is night and day. It's truly amazing just how much embedded junk is on your new car's finish. Putting that first coat of wax on without a clay treatment just seals it in and lets it do it's damage to the paint.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My parents had a 2000 Ford Explorer with this "rail dust" or fallout (as it is sometimes called) all over it - roof, hood, and sides. Really gritty. I used Meguiars clay bar and removed the fallout, then waxed it. You should have seen the finish after I did this! Perfectly smooth and shiny. Over time this will happen again; using the clay bar will take this stuff out. The best thing is to wax your car at least once per month, as it will protect the paint.

Hopefully the dealer tried this already...if they are repainting, I would forget it and order another. I agree that the dealer's paint job will never match exactly. If they go down to metal, I doubt they will provide the same rust proofing as the factory. The dealer repainted a small part of my car's fender near the bottom, and while the paint matched the paint texture didn't. I was fine with it because it wasn't really noticeable, but then again the car wasn't $30K+. I would never accept this again. Get a new car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
gig229 said:
My parents had a 2000 Ford Explorer with this "rail dust" or fallout (as it is sometimes called) all over it - roof, hood, and sides. Really gritty. I used Meguiars clay bar and removed the fallout, then waxed it. You should have seen the finish after I did this! Perfectly smooth and shiny. Over time this will happen again; using the clay bar will take this stuff out. The best thing is to wax your car at least once per month, as it will protect the paint.

Hopefully the dealer tried this already...if they are repainting, I would forget it and order another. I agree that the dealer's paint job will never match exactly. If they go down to metal, I doubt they will provide the same rust proofing as the factory. The dealer repainted a small part of my car's fender near the bottom, and while the paint matched the paint texture didn't. I was fine with it because it wasn't really noticeable, but then again the car wasn't $30K+. I would never accept this again. Get a new car.
Good points gig! I clay all my cars at least once a year but usually twice (spring and fall). I happen to use Zaino clay and polishing products but there are many excellent products that will get the job done. Like you, I also try to wax monthly but at a minimum I wax 4 times during the 6 month warm season. The UV protection is critical to a long lasting paint finish. Plus, I just love the look and feel of the car after a clay and wax treatment. It's better than what comes from the factory.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tom, I agree, I love the Zaino products. I put another coat on the Acadia this afternoon, making three since I got it Memorial Day. It looks outstanding. :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
122 Posts
ewillie1 said:
Tom, I agree, I love the Zaino products. I put another coat on the Acadia this afternoon, making three since I got it Memorial Day. It looks outstanding. :cheers: Erik
Yea...I just did my Volvo XC70. Wash, clay, 3 coats of Z2. I hit it every few days with a quick Z6 spray and wipe. I also did a complete interior detailing. The Volvo is 3 years old and looks absolutely brand new. It would outshine anything sitting on the showroom floor. Amazing results!!! It's an incredible product line.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tom: I'm amazed how easy it is to keep a vehicle clean once the base Zaino products have been applied. The Z6 keeps it nice between washes, and I find bugs don't stick to the hood. Can't say enough about their products. Erik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts