GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what size the aux connector is on the front of our stereos? ??? ???

I DO NOT have the NAV stereo. ;D

I have a Sony Ericsson Walkman cell phone on which I have stored 2GB of mp3's. I'm trying to find the necessary cables to connect my cell phone to the stereo so that I can play my mp3's. 8)

I'm not sure if this will work, but I know audio cables are generally very cheap, so I think it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Are you reffering to the headset style plug in the front of the Head unit. IF so I am guessing it would be a 3.5mm plug. LIke this one here

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're in luck - it can be done easily.

I'm assuming the Enclave and Acadia non Nav systems have the same aux jack. Enclave non-nav front Aux Jack is a 3.55mm (commonly referred to as mini stereo jack).

Most cells are the same - a 2.55mm headphone jack. You can go to your cell carrier store (Sprint in my case) and they usually have the connector for your setup. If not try RadioShack and get a "male 2.55mm to male 3.55" connector. You plug the 2.55mm into your cell headphone jack and then the 3.55mm end into the Acadia Aux jack and use the phone as your MP3 player.

I have a Nextel that I have 2GB of music on and it works great.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, but they are all contradicting.

So far we've got..........1/8 inch, 3 mm, 3.5 mm and 3.55 mm. ???

Now which one is it? Does anybody have one that they can try?

Twins and Bonk: The links you provided look like what would probably be the right cable, except for our conflicting sizes (as noted above). :(

jtsh: my cell phone has a weird connector on it so the 2.55 mm headphone jack won't work. That's why I need to find the size of the connector on the stereo, then I should be able to go to my cell phone's website and find the cable that I need. Then is will be running from my phone's strange connector to the 1/8 ", 3 mm, 3.5 mm or 3.55 mm[/color] jack on the stero.

I just need to nail down the right number[/color], then I can proceed.

For what it's worth, I have a Sony Ericsson W580i Walkman cell phone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think when people talk 1/8", 3.5 and 3.55 they are all talking about the same thing. It is just a mini-stereo jack nothing special, as stated before Radio Shack or your phone supplier should have one and should be able to help you

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Are you reffering to the headset style plug in the front of the Head unit. IF so I am guessing it would be a 3.5mm plug. LIke this one here
This one that I posted is what I use to hook my Ipod into my stereo and it works. They list as a 3mm. But as Colorado said, I think they are all the same, just different terminology used for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PGH,

I checked out your phone. Here is what you need:

The accessory for your phone is called "Music Cable MMC-70". Here's the link http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/overview/mmc-70?cc=us&lc=en

This will connect your phone to a 3.5mm jack. It's outlined in the description.

(FWIW - Yes we are all talking the same thing - the key term is "Mini-stereo jack". The exact measurment is 3.55mm - you will find that designation on some materials. The more common designation is 3.5mm (leaving the .05 off promotional materials). They are both the same. I probably screwed things up referring to it as a 3.55mm. (I'm looking at my Sprint Stereo headphones box at this moment and they call it 3.5mm on the box). Very rarely will you see the 1/8" designation. )

Just order that MMC-70 connector and forget the rest of our hot air.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! ;D :thumb: ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's called a 1/8th-inch or 3.5mm line-in (auxiliary/aux-in) jack. This is the standard on most mp3 player headphones - I agree that most cell phones have a 2.5mm input, you will need to purchase an adapter - I went to Wal Mart and purchased a Scosche kit which bad a complete 3.5 mm cable (3.5 mm on both ends) and it also inluded a 2.5mm female input and a 3.5mm male output:

Product Features

* Adapter for cell phones with 2.5mm headphone jack and an Apple® iPhone headphone jack included
* Also includes an adapter for airplane headphone jacks
* Headphone splitter allows for two 3.5mm headphones to be plugged into 1 jack of the same audio device
* 3' 3.5mm extension audio cable extends the length of your headphone cord

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
johnway said:
It's called a 1/8th-inch or 3.5mm line-in (auxiliary/aux-in) jack. This is the standard on most mp3 player headphones - I agree that most cell phones have a 2.5mm input, you will need to purchase an adapter - I went to Wal Mart and purchased a Scosche kit which bad a complete 3.5 mm cable (3.5 mm on both ends) and it also inluded a 2.5mm female input and a 3.5mm male output:

Product Features

* Adapter for cell phones with 2.5mm headphone jack and an Apple® iPhone headphone jack included
* Headphone splitter allows for two 3.5mm headphones to be plugged into 1 jack of the same audio device

How much do those run?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks jtsh!!

The Sony website wanted $26+ (including S&H) for the MMC-70 audio cable. :eek: :eek:

I ended up getting it on eBay for a grand total of $6.77 (free shipping)! :thumb: :thumb: ;D ;D

It was the OEM cable too (i.e., Sony Ericsson), not some aftermarket supplier cable. :blob:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good deal PGH!! Enjoy - Now I'm off to find a nice vehicle mount for my Motorola i880 so I can attach it to the Enclave instead of it just flopping around.

·
Registered
681 Posts
bonk1313 said:
johnway said:

Product Features

How much do those run?
Around $15.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts