GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Acadia fans!

I'm the proud new owner of a Saturn Outlook, and I enjoy reading this forum, so I just joined. Here are some pictures of my Outlook. It is an XR AWD with just about everything except a DVD and a sunroof.

Biz

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Boo hiss!! Go away..Acadia's only!!!! :p

Just kidding. Welcome aboard and sharp looking car you got there. Outlook looks better in white than the Acadia.

Please share your experiences with the vehicle.

Congrats and good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Every time I see an Outlook I wish the Acadia had hidden D-pillars like that. Great looking CUV! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey, nice pics. I like the dual exhaust treatment. Just curious cause you have a awd. Did your dealer advise you to keep it under 55mph for the first 500 miles?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sandman said:
Hey, nice pics. I like the dual exhaust treatment. Just curious cause you have a awd. Did your dealer advise you to keep it under 55mph for the first 500 miles?
No, he did not. I've never heard that before (maybe I should read the owner manual, LOL). Is this really recommended?

Biz

·
Registered
360 Posts
The recommended break in for ALL GM vehicles is 55 for the first 500 miles. This is old and can be disregarded.

The one thing I recommend (I used to deliver new Corvettes) is vary the RPMs for the first 500 miles. Do not keep it at a constant RPM for more than 5 minutes, which is extremely easy to do.

The reason for this is so you do not grove the sleeves in cylinders. Also this helps break in the new rear end...

Adam

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here's what pg 123 of the Acadia owners manual says about break in:

New Vehicle Break-In

Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• If you have all-wheel drive, keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a Trailer on page 371 for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

·
Registered
794 Posts
What Adam says makes sense. The Acadia owners manual says that for AWD your vehicle "will perform better in the long run" if you keep it under 55 for the first 500 miles. Since the requirement is not there for the fwd, I am guessing it has something to do with the AWD system. My dealer never mentioned the breakin to me, and I've been trying to figure it out ever since. I think I will start a new post and see if anyone has had a dealer mention the different breakin period.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Adam is right. I have several friends with newer Corvettes (both Z06 LS7s and Coupes/Conv w/LS2s) and a couple said they did not follow break in period (raced it on day one!) and now have whining noises from the rear differential--said it was caused by wear on one spot of the differential gear teeth instead of spreading across the face of the gear teeth. Not sure I fully understand. . .

As for the Corvette break-in, the Corvette manual is similar to the Acadia Manual.

Here's info from the C6 Corvette manual[/color]:
New Vehicle Break-In
[/color]Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one speed — fast or slow — for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time your new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.[/color]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats - I also have a Saturn Outlook.

No I am not lurking..... This forum just has a lot more information on it then the Saturn Fans forum!
Besides it's all in the family ;)

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Post up some pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts