GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Not sure how to know for sure. I do know that it steams when cold outside and it really does melt the frost off. (although I'm not sure if that is what it is for as it might shatter the glass if too cold??)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
The system in my Silverado did an OK (not great) job of melting some light ice from the freezing rain here yesterday. The wife used the remote start on the Acadia so she didn't need the heated washer fluid on her's.


Going back to wfeyhl's problem, I'm not sure how the washer fluid tubing is routed (e.g. don't know if it follows the same tubing whether the heated system is used or not). I wonder if priming the system (running a non-heated cycle), as MedicRxDoc did, prior to using the heated system may be necessary in some instances. I'm just thinking out loud here that maybe the heating chamber may not have washer fluid in it to heat up initially which is why his system could be getting a Fail to Heat error.

And for GTO JUDGE, the system is supposed to heat the fluid to about 160 F (70C).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I wonder if priming the system (running a non-heated cycle), as MedicRxDoc did, prior to using the heated system may be necessary in some instances. .
Only problem there is running the chance of breaking the windshield wiper crank arm that they replaced. Hopefully it wouldn't happen, but someones replacement just broke the other day, mentioned in the recall thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
OK, I tried a test yesterday. I turned the heated washer fluid on, then waited for it to turn off. I then used the windshield washer control to spray the windshield, and it came out steaming (so it heated up the fluid some). After that, I turned on the heated washer fluid, and it worked as expected.

I am now confused. Why did it heat up the fluid, but then turned itself off? Or did it heat it up too hot?

-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
wfyehl said:
so it heated up the fluid some

-Bill
How do you know that the fluid that came out was heated? I remember hearing that this is a small reservoir that the heated WWF system uses. When I sprayed mine after it turned off, I just assumed that it was the regular temp fluid. I didn't see any puffs of steam like I do when it is really cold and use the heated fluid.

I am confused with this problem as well. Maybe we are lucky and ours if functioning properly and won't catch fire like the recall is for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
How do you know that the fluid that came out was heated?
The fluid steamed when I tried it just like when it does when it doesn't turn off. It might not have been as hot, I didn't measure it. As cold as it has been here (2 degrees F with wind chills close to -15), I tried the washer fluid without heating it, and it just froze on the windshield. Since it steamed and didn't freeze on the windshield, I gather that it indeed heated up some.

-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
Thanks. Sure sounds like it was heated. Since the problem it not reproducable all of the time, I just don't think a dealer would do anything about it if they can't replicate the problem. I will ask when I have my recal work done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Bonk,

Had my system repaired yesterday... new heating unit, covered under warranty. Now works great, dealer said no problem getting parts ( but he may not know it's discontinued due to manufacturer going out of business)

I'm back to being a happy Acadia owner! ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
tm59 said:
Bonk,

Had my system repaired yesterday... new heating unit, covered under warranty. Now works great, dealer said no problem getting parts ( but he may not know it's discontinued due to manufacturer going out of business)

I'm back to being a happy Acadia owner! ;D
Great NEWS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Yeah I am pretty sure they are no longer around. they stopped the option with 09's from what I read on here.
I have an 09 slt2 awd and it has it. In fact it wasn't optional so i'm guessing it is now standard?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Lyth said:
bonk1313 said:
Yeah I am pretty sure they are no longer around. they stopped the option with 09's from what I read on here.
I have an 09 slt2 awd and it has it. In fact it wasn't optional so i'm guessing it is now standard?
Build Date?
I will look here later, but I am pretty sure I saw someone say that it was even removed from the window sticker.

I believe it was standard on the SLT2 when they had it, it is gone now. Found it, from another [/color] thread.


gbakay said:
According to the GM Distribution Update the heated windshield washer was deleted...

Week of 9/29/2008
Effective 9/29/2008, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:


Interior section-(PDD) Convenience Package, deleted entirely.
Interior section-(VBS) Limited Promotion Option, Remote vehicle starter system, changed footnote 1 to read "Requires (BTV) Remote vehicle start. Not available with Fleet or Government orders."
Interior section-(BTV) Remote vehicle start, deleted footnote 1 entirely. Also, moved the RPO code to the Free Flow RPO Code column.
Exterior section-(XA7) Windshield washer fluid system, heated, deleted entirely.
Exterior section-(QT5) Wheels, 4 - 18" x 7.5" (45.7 cm x 19.1 cm) machined aluminum, changed the symbol from "A" to "--".

As for the 2007-08 Acadia's with the heated windshield washer, I'm guessing there are no replacement parts since the manufacturer claimed bankruptcy. As far as I know, they were the only company producing heated windshield washers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Here is a photo of a window sticker from Smooth posted on 11/06 for his 2009 SLT2 Built 9/15.
Posted here
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I have to check the build date but on my sticker it lists heated windshield washer fluid under standard equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Does anyone have the procedure for changing the heater module for the washer fluid. 2007 Acadia that quit working and dealer says they will not warranty even though it exhibited all the symptoms of the recall. I can get the heater for $50.00 less and it should not be that hard to install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
meanmarv said:
Does anyone have the procedure for changing the heater module for the washer fluid. 2007 Acadia that quit working and dealer says they will not warranty even though it exhibited all the symptoms of the recall. I can get the heater for $50.00 less and it should not be that hard to install.
Are you out of warranty? If not go to another dealer. Has the recall expired?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I thought the recall simply added an in-line fuse or something for safety, did it not? I do not think it involved replacing the heating module. That may be why the dealer can not or will not replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
zman said:
I thought the recall simply added an in-line fuse or something for safety, did it not? I do not think it involved replacing the heating module. That may be why the dealer can not or will not replace it.
I don't recall the details as I don't have it on my 09 and my 07 Outlook didn't fall in the recall, but your probably right. But, if he is still in the warranty period they are obligated to replace it, as long as he didn't take a hammer to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
khansen30 said:
I don't recall the details as I don't have it on my 09 and my 07 Outlook didn't fall in the recall, but your probably right. But, if he is still in the warranty period they are obligated to replace it, as long as he didn't take a hammer to it.
If the supplier is out of business and no parts available I think he is going to have a hard time getting it replaced. I am not sure if there is a legal out or not but I recall dealers simply disconnecting it and telling people to pound sand when others have tried to have a defective unit replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
The recall was due to a GM wiring issue. Original equipment (non recalled) replacement parts are available for $50 at alphathermusa.com. AlphaTherm will also answer any heated wash technical questions you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Have been having problems with the heated washer fluid not working at all. when the button is pushed nothing comes up on the DIC and nothing happens, the first time it did not work the maxi fuse under the hood was blown. Dealer replaced fuse and worked twice then blew the fuse again. Second time the dealer replaced the heater module and fuse and it worked for a few months granted it was warm out and never used for about two months then it got cold outside and we used it a few times and now it is no longer working again, fuse is blown again. so back to the dealer for the third trip I was just wondering if anyone else was having trouble with blowing fuses. its an 09 so it is outside of the recall. I can definitely se why they were discontinued for 2010.
 
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Top