GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had my Acadia in for some service... some regularly scheduled stuff, some TSB/recall items. One item was the Heated Washer Fluid wiring. Now when I press the heated washer fluid switch the DIC gives me the normal pending message for about 5 - 10 seconds and then changes to says "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" without having sprayed any washer fluid. The regular (unheated) system works fine.

Anyone have this problem, any ideas? :help:

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a recall for the heated washer system. They are to install a fuse to prevent overheating/fire on the control circuit board. Either they did this wrong or they didn't have the parts for it. If they didn't have the parts for it, GM says to pull the fuse for safety reasons.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They either pulled the fuse out. Or when they replaced the wiring harness, didn't put the fuse back in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check to see if the fuse is there, and if so, if it is OK. I'll let you know what I find. Is this on the fuse block or an in-line fuse somewhere? I guess I'll start with the manual and on the fuse block.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The underhood fuse is good, so they must have disconnected something when they performed the recall service and not re-connected it? I guess it's back to the dealer (it's hard enough to find the time to do these things once... never mind having to do it again because of someone's shoddy workmanship). :mad:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If they pulled the fuse you wouldn't have a message at all. Mine was pulled for a couple of months after it did exactly what yours is doing. The dealer didn't tell me they had pulled the fuse and I thought they had taken everything, but when the recall parts came in, the messages came back!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had my Acadia in yesterday... they told me it was not part of the Heat Wiper Wiring recall (as determined by VIN numbers). The unit worked fine, until I brought it in for other service (oil change, wiper arm recall, front passenger area seam sealing, tire rotation, etc.) The heating unit needs to be replaced and will take "a couple of days" to get. Covered by warranty. Hmmmm?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I noticed the same issue, but only since I had the recall done for the heated washer fluid. When the car sits for a while and it is cold outside, you turn on the heated washer fluid. The DIC message tells you it is 'ON'. After the 5-10 seconds, it just turns off. One or two more cycles later (of turning it on, and it turning off by itself), it finally works. I had it into the dealership on Monday to check this out, and they couldn't get it to happen. Once it is in a warm environment (in the garage at the dealership) it appears to work.

When I picked up the car, it didn't work the first time, but worked the next time. They can't do anything until they observe the situation.

Is there a know problem with the heating unit? Or a TSB?

-Bill

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
wfyehl said:
Is there a know problem with the heating unit? Or a TSB?

-Bill
Nothing I can find in the SI database.

Do you get the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message, or does it just stop the cycle?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
tm59 said:
The heating unit needs to be replaced and will take "a couple of days" to get. Covered by warranty. Hmmmm?
I am wondering how they are getting parts for it, didn't the company making them go belly up?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Mine has always had a big delay from the time it starts until the water comes out. It pauses while heating, and then I hear the pump running, and then nothing comes out. Sometimes at the end of the 1st cycle a little bit will come out, but usually it is not until the 2nd cycle that any hot fluid comes out. I am not sure if it is normal, but I am assuming the way mine works is normal.

After hot water comes out the first time, from that point forward it works just fine until I have not used it for a few days.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When mine did work it would sputter a bit on the first cycle, and then work great on the next. When it was really cold it would take a bit of time to sputter and then work well. Now it takes about 5 seconds when it is warm (after being in the garage [heated] overnight), or take about 20 seconds when it has been out in the cold and then give me the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message. I tried several times in a row and always the same result: "Heated Washer Fluid System Off".

Parts? I didn't know the manufacturer went belly up. I'm not sure where the parts will come from, unless the GM supply chain still has units available (while supply lasts). Or maybe I will be getting the "we're sorry but that part is no longer available" phone call. That would really tick me off.

I'll keep you posted. ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Nothing I can find in the SI database.

Do you get the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message, or does it just stop the cycle?
I get both the "Heated Washer Fluid System On" then after about 5-10 seconds I'll get the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message. Monday, when we the temp was 15F and wind gusting 15-25 MPH, it would take 2-3 cycles of turning it on, "Heated Washer Fluid System On" and shutting off on its own, "Heated Washer Fluid System Off", before it would finally work. When it would finally work, it put out quite a bit of steam from the temp differential.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
tm59 said:
When mine did work it would sputter a bit on the first cycle, and then work great on the next. When it was really cold it would take a bit of time to sputter and then work well. Now it takes about 5 seconds when it is warm (after being in the garage [heated] overnight), or take about 20 seconds when it has been out in the cold and then give me the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message. I tried several times in a row and always the same result: "Heated Washer Fluid System Off".

Parts? I didn't know the manufacturer went belly up. I'm not sure where the parts will come from, unless the GM supply chain still has units available (while supply lasts). Or maybe I will be getting the "we're sorry but that part is no longer available" phone call. That would really tick me off.

I'll keep you posted. ???
Yeah I am pretty sure they are no longer around. they stopped the option with 09's from what I read on here.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
wfyehl said:
I get both the "Heated Washer Fluid System On" then after about 5-10 seconds I'll get the "Heated Washer Fluid System Off" message. Monday, when we the temp was 15F and wind gusting 15-25 MPH, it would take 2-3 cycles of turning it on, "Heated Washer Fluid System On" and shutting off on its own, "Heated Washer Fluid System Off", before it would finally work. When it would finally work, it put out quite a bit of steam from the temp differential.

-Bill
Here's a description of the Automatic Shutdown Protection for the heated washer fluild system (you may have a condition present that is causing it to shut down to protect itself). If it is extremely cold outside, the second fault may be causing the system to shut down, but that really doesn't explain why it would shut down after 5-10 seconds. Your dealer should check it out though as diagnosing something like this on the interweb leaves much to be desired. ;D

Automatic Shutdown Protection Feature
Below are automatic shutdown modes built into the heated wash system. When any of these modes are activated, the heated assembly will shut down and request the IPC to transition the DIC to display the HEATED WASHER FLUID WASHER SYSTEM OFF message.

• Under Voltage -- The system will shut down if battery voltage goes under 10 volts for 5 seconds.

• Fail to Heat -- The system will shut down if the fluid does not heat by 5°C (41°F) within 28 seconds.

• Fail to Cool -- The system will shut down if the fluid does not cool by 2°C (36°F) 4.75 seconds.

The following shutdown modes will require an ignition cycle to resume normal operation:

• Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Temperature Over Threshold -- The system will shut down if the unit PCB is greater than 125°C (257°F) for more than 2 seconds.

• Temperature Sensor Shorted High -- An internal heater assembly measurement. The system will shut down if an internal short is detected.

• Automatic Over Temperature -- The system will shut down if fluid temperature exceeds 85°C (185°F) for 2 seconds.

• Automatic Over Voltage -- The system will shut down if battery voltage exceeds 16.4 volts for 4 seconds.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Similar problem here. Get the on message, wait a little while and then it turns off without any juice being sprayed. If I they use the regular sprayer, it squirts WWF. I can then use the heated system immediately after this with no problem.

Mine doesn't happen all the time, kind of sporadic. I did not have the recall work done yet.

Chris P.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I called today and the dealer said the parts were in for the upgrade. 2 months ago they disabled my system and said I would need to wait for the parts. I'm getting them installed on Tuesday...they said it takes 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Automatic Shutdown Protection Feature
Below are automatic shutdown modes built into the heated wash system. When any of these modes are activated, the heated assembly will shut down and request the IPC to transition the DIC to display the HEATED WASHER FLUID WASHER SYSTEM OFF message.

• Under Voltage -- The system will shut down if battery voltage goes under 10 volts for 5 seconds.

• Fail to Heat -- The system will shut down if the fluid does not heat by 5°C (41°F) within 28 seconds.

• Fail to Cool -- The system will shut down if the fluid does not cool by 2°C (36°F) 4.75 seconds.

The following shutdown modes will require an ignition cycle to resume normal operation:

• Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Temperature Over Threshold -- The system will shut down if the unit PCB is greater than 125°C (257°F) for more than 2 seconds.

• Temperature Sensor Shorted High -- An internal heater assembly measurement. The system will shut down if an internal short is detected.

• Automatic Over Temperature -- The system will shut down if fluid temperature exceeds 85°C (185°F) for 2 seconds.

• Automatic Over Voltage -- The system will shut down if battery voltage exceeds 16.4 volts for 4 seconds.
GeoHawk,

Since my wife's Acadia doesn't require an ignition cycle, it would mean one of the Under Voltage, Fail to Heat, Fail to Cool modes. I have never tried the heated washer fluid option in the summer months, so Fail to Cool makes no sense. Since this started happening after the recall was performed, it could be the Under Voltage condition (connection with new harness), or the Fail to Heat.

What's next to do. The dealership doesn't know what to do, and it never happens for them. I will try to run some tests, but I don't think I have access to put a temp probe in the washer fluid reservoir, or put a volt meter in line with the power to the heater.

Any other suggestions?

-Bill

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My dealer called today: the parts are in (I also order the 2-way remote). I set up an appointment for both on Tues. (12/23).

Bill- I would think the most common fault is failure to heat. The "failure to cool" sounds like a safety mechanism to shut the whole thing off in the event that the temperature switch fails and it continues to heat. eg. If the the fluid doesn't start to cool after the cycle ends then the entire system shuts down. IMO. A low voltage situation may cause other electrical problem (with other systems). Again, just my thoughts.

I think the dealer told me that my system was not heating. I don't think it heats the whole reservoir, that would be a lot of fluid to heat up.

I will post again after my service appointment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
how hot does the water get. When I used mine I could not tell any difference.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts