GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can you ask WickedGoat if the whole steering wheel is heated? On the Enclave only the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock leather part are heated, the simulated wood section is not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you ask WickedGoat if the whole steering wheel is heated? On the Enclave only the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock leather part are heated, the simulated wood section is not.
Just asked my wife, being that I don't drive the Acadia enough to honestly know... she said the 2 and 10 o'clock positions only are heated, not the wood trim on the top of the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Just asked my wife, being that I don't drive the Acadia enough to honestly know... she said the 2 and 10 o'clock positions only are heated, not the wood trim on the top of the wheel.
Pretty interesting since I've heard a lot of driving schools are teaching folks to drive with their hands at 8 and 4 o'clock. That's supposed to be so they don't get arms injured or hand-slapped in the face when the air bags deploy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I haven't been to driving school in many years.
Things have changed since you learned to drive
If you have a child taking driver's ed, it's time to learn the latest updates to the subject.
Parental hand dropping car keys into teen driver's hand

If you've been driving for 20 or more years, you know how to teach your teenager how to drive, right?
Maybe. Things have changed a bit since you took driver's education and if you have a new teen driver in your house, here's a quick look at new developments to keep in mind:
  • Lower your hands. You probably learned to keep your hands at the '10 and 2 o'clock' positions on the steering wheel. Today, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommends drivers put their hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. One reason for the change is to potentially keep hands out of the way if the airbag deploys.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
The Acadia's steering wheel is made for a full-handed grasp at points both lower and higher than 3 and 9 o'clock. My passenger bus driving instructor preferred his students use 4 and 8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I got my ebay heated wheel and clock spring installed and working today. I ended up splicing into the power wire for the second row usb charger and attached the ground under the dash. It's working well so far.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Well I got my ebay heated wheel and clock spring installed and working today. I ended up splicing into the power wire for the second row usb charger and attached the ground under the dash. It's working well so far.
Is the power wire switched so you can't inadvertently leave the steering wheel heater ON and drain the battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Is the power wire switched so you can't inadvertently leave the steering wheel heater ON and drain the battery?
Yes that was one of the only power feeds I could find that was switched.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Yes that was one of the only power feeds I could find that was switched.
Are you sure it was a USB feed? Seems like a 12VDC power feed for the cigarette lighter receptacle or 110VAC inverter would have voltage needed for a heating element. USB ports are max 5VDC, plus very low amperage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Are you sure it was a USB feed? Seems like a 12VDC power feed for the cigarette lighter receptacle or 110VAC inverter would have voltage needed for a heating element. USB ports are max 5VDC, plus very low amperage.
I followed it all the way to the dual usb plug.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
I followed it all the way to the dual usb plug.
Hope it's just another wire in the harness and not direct feed to the USB. Would be worthwhile to check that out. Might want to be wary about blowing a fuse while using the heater, regardless of where you tapped into power. That's a lot of additional power draw.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
There's a 10 amp fuse on that circuit. I had the same concern but I'll just wait and see what happens.
If you run into any trouble, you can look through the factory service manual (FSM) for a wiring diagram of the stock steering wheel heater set up and make any needed mods. There's a link to an FSM in the 'GMC Acadia' part of the forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good for you! I had a good feeling that you would be able to get it done with minimal issues, since the Impala uses similar wiring and electronics. I am still considering it for my Impala but the weather has been pure crap lately to go junk yard shopping.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am quoting myself because the whole lower section of the wheel is heated as well. Today was the first day I have been in the Acadia in several weeks and my wife told me that she was wrong when I asked her about the wheel being heated. So to correct myself, the entire wheel, with exception of the wood trim section, is heated.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
So to those who have it, or installed one, are you happier? I'm currently driving a 2020 Caddy which has one. To some degree it's nice. But I find the inside of my hands being nice and warm, but not the backs of my hands or my thumb much. Plus you have to hold on to the wheel with both hands to get the advantage.
I do not find my Acadia steering wheel to feel all that cold, even on the coldest days.
In other words... I can take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
So to those who have it, or installed one, are you happier? I'm currently driving a 2020 Caddy which has one. To some degree it's nice. But I find the inside of my hands being nice and warm, but not the backs of my hands or my thumb much. Plus you have to hold on to the wheel with both hands to get the advantage.
I do not find my Acadia steering wheel to feel all that cold, even on the coldest days.
In other words... I can take it or leave it.
I can certainly live without it but the heated wheel is one of the things I miss from my CTS,....along with the rain sensing wipers.

I think you said you were driving an XT4, what are your impressions? XT4 will be on my short list for my next vehicle.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can certainly live without it but the heated wheel is one of the things I miss from my CTS,....along with the rain sensing wipers.

I think you said you were driving an XT4, what are your impressions? XT4 will be on my short list for my next vehicle.
Honestly... feels like what it is, a Chevy with doodads. It has some nice features, good safety adders, decently finished, but the Acadia is nicer for me.
It's immediately apparent that it's a 4 banger, but you should be fine with that power-wise with how light you are on the throttle. Feels and sounds like a 4 though, never owned one, I'll stick with that.
Do not like the non permanently defeatable auto shut off. That's probably common now, but I would avoid it like the plague.
The ride is a bit more harsh if you hit irregularities in the road, it has very low profile 20's, mine has 17's. This is not a Corvette. It should not have 20's IMO. And yet at the same time it is not as firm over speed bumps for example.
The seats are stiff, not much give. Plus being leather they are chilly in the morning at first. I'm not a leather fan. Add that the material is not "rich Corinthian leather" (gotta be older to get that one).
It's a loaner while they're looking at my tranny. I would not trade in any regard.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts