GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really like to add a heated steering wheel to my 2016 SLT-1 Acadia. I can't seem to find any information on it. Had anyone successfully completed this swap?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Interesting... I've never really felt a need TBH.
I have a feeling that will be more work than you think. It's likely not just the wheel, but how to control it.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
I'd really like to add a heated steering wheel to my 2016 SLT-1 Acadia. I can't seem to find any information on it. Had anyone successfully completed this swap?
There would be no 'swap' to it since that wasn't even an option on Acadia back then. You'd be starting a modification with non-Acadia parts which would probably require a bunch more work, including some fairly complex wiring mods. Would be less costly in both parts and labor to just look into a heated steering wheel cover.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
There would be no 'swap' to it since that wasn't even an option on Acadia back then. ...
I take that back. It was a new 'standard feature' in 2016 on the SLT-2 and Denali trims (thank you, GMPartsDirect and GMC Acadia/Acadia Denali - 2016). You'd still be looking at some possible wiring mods to accommodate the heated steering wheel if your Acadia wasn't wired to accept that option. It might only have been available with the memory seat option, among others. If that's the case, wiring harnesses would be really different - likely BCM programming, too.

It would still be less costly in both parts and labor to just look into a heated steering wheel cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just need to find a junkyard with a similar vehicle and get the heated wheel and clockspring out of it. I think the swap would be easy, finding the parts will be difficult.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Have fun!! Let us know how much hair you have left when you finally get it to work. 🤣 🤣 🤣
I suspect it would be more cost and effort then a lifetime supply of Walmart winter gloves.

I will say the heated wheel is a nice touch, no pun intended. Have had multiple cars with heated seats and I never use those. My Caddy had two options not on my Acadia that I truly miss. Rain sensing wipers and the heated wheel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
...options not on my Acadia that I truly miss. Rain sensing wipers and the heated wheel.
I have the heated wheel on my Acadia and without a doubt it's appreciated since I really don't like wearing either hats or gloves. Never thought I'd miss the rain sensing wipers but I do - not a show stopper but nice to have.

Conversely I don't care one way or the other about heated seats but since they're automatic on mine they are a nice touch (no pun intended) - plus my wife won't let me buy a car without them, even though she doesn't have them in her car. o_O

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
I don't wear gloves unless I'm outside working or recreating (sometimes inside if I'm performing rocket surgery - lol). A leather steering wheel isn't hard on the hands when it's cold. Remote start seems to heat up the wheel enough as the interior gets warmer, too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually, a steering wheel cooler would be, uh, cool... (sorry) in the summer.
Heated; wouldn't complain if mine had one, but it heats up quick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For what this is worth, a guy over on Impala forums added a heated steering wheel to his Impala, which never came with them from the factory. I believe he used a Buick or Cadillac wheel with the heated steering wheel switch assembly and the requisite clock spring. He claimed the wiring was simple... he pinned it to the clock spring and grounded it accordingly, no BCM programming required. So I am going to go on a limb and say you can most likely do it if you procure an Acadia heated steering wheel with switch, the clock spring and the connector and a little extra wiring. It would be a very good idea to have wiring schematics on hand. Removal of the airbag, wheel and clock spring is pretty easy. If you do decide to pull this off, please post back with your results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes the 2015 Denali was the first to have the feature as my 2014 does not. I’m very interested in how this goes as I get older and the blood doesn’t flow as well my hands are cold on those -5 degree mornings. And that’s with parking in the garage.
if it was available in the model year likely the wiring harness is already configured. Doubt GM would have two harness part numbers for with and without.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
if it was available in the model year likely the wiring harness is already configured. Doubt GM would have two harness part numbers for with and without.
Factory options get different wiring harnesses quite often - like fog lights, halogen/HID headlights, memory seats, and others. Explore any parts list and you'll see that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes the 2015 Denali was the first to have the feature as my 2014 does not. I’m very interested in how this goes as I get older and the blood doesn’t flow as well my hands are cold on those -5 degree mornings. And that’s with parking in the garage.
Understand about a cold steering wheel on the hands . . . especially in low single or below " 0 " temps.
Will be interested to know what you decide or come up with.
Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Somebody on another forum was asking what was needed to install a heated steering wheel. When I searched for steering column wiring harnesses there were two listed, one with heat and one without. It probably would be cheaper for them to just stock one harness at the assembly plant but some bean counter probably did the cost analysis and found it was a few pennies cheaper to purchase both and just use what was needed for the options on the manifest.
I have the heated wheel, it is sure nice to have. It starts to get warm in 15 seconds, in a minute it is warm and a few minutes later it is hot, I wish that there was a way to regulate the heat without having to switch it on and off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a heated wheel and clockspring on ebay. The wheel came in Friday but the USPS had other ideas for the clockspring so hopefully next weekend I'll get a chance to attempt the install.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is the thread on Impala forums. Hopefully it will shed a little light on it for you...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts