GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day after we bought our Acadia, I unknowingly drove over a hazard which sliced the sidewall of the left front tire. It lost all air within two minutes and I called Onstar for assistance. The Goodyear Fortera 18" isn't commonly stocked by either my GMC dealer or the local Goodyear dealer. The GMC service department ordered the tire from the Goodyear dealer who ordered the tire, which had to come from Tennessee. The tire arrived here in Upper Michigan last night, after ten days of waiting. In the meanwhile I have driven it on a few short trips to town on the compact spare, which has worked fine, but mostly it's been sitting in our garage. Be sure to note that the vehicle knows when the compact spare is on, and shuts down both the Tire Pressure Monitor System and the All Wheel Drive. I'm probably the first in the country to waste an expensive tire within 24 hours of owning the car/truck! Has anyone tried to purchase and install a full size spare?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you put the spare on the front? If you did, since the AWD is disabled, I would go ahead and take one of the fullsize tires of the rear and move it to the front. That way you have same size tires on the drving axle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Sanrivman,

I'm also a Yooper, but haven't lived there since 1981. My folks still live there and are complaining about the big snowstorm last week (they got about 5 feet).

Say yah to da UP, eh?

I'm in Utah now.

back to topic...

Other people have posted here that a full size spare is not recommended for the storage location. Something to do with its size and possible heating? If you do a topic search, you'll probably find some good info.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
The owner's manual specifically warns against storing either a full-size flat tire or a full-size spare under the vehicle. In fact, the manual contains an unintentionally comical (to me) description (including diagrams) of where and how to store a flat tire.

Kelly

·
Registered
59 Posts
sanrivman said:
The day after we bought our Acadia, I unknowingly drove over a hazard which sliced the sidewall of the left front tire.
I'm probably the first in the country to waste an expensive tire within 24 hours of owning the car/truck! Has anyone tried to purchase and install a full size spare?
Sorry to hear that your first 'boo-boo' happened on day two :eek:hno: Just curious: how much does a new Fortera cost? I took a rider on my insurance to cover just that event (about $50-60 per year). Hopefully that's the worst thing to happen to you and your Acadia for many years to come!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tirerack has them listed as in stock on their website for $179.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife damaged the right front tire on her Acadia. Called the dealer at 4:00 PM drove home with a new tire at 6:00 PM. The service department stated that the 19" Goodyears are hard to find also they had check multiple suppliers to locate the replacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I learned something interesting last week. America's Tire Store will insure your tires for $22.00 each. This includes rotations, balancing, flats, and road hazards. It even offers a minimum mileage guarantee. GM won't even touch that. (Please note I do not work for ATS) And please do not feel bad, I too lost a tire and my windshield in the first 90 days I owned my prized 02 Black GP GTP, it does diminish that new car feel somewhat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts