GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found one listed on ebay, I currently do not have heads up and would love to add it (have it in the corvette and love it) is it possible to add now? how difficult would it be?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think something about the windshield glass is different

·
Registered
250 Posts
hopefully it uses the same glass... i'm interested in the HUD also.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The glass is different. I have HUD and had a piece of Ike hit the corner and it had to be replaced. It cost upwards of $600 to have it replaced.

(HUD does come out of the dash.)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Unless the dash has the cut-out for the HUD; you will need a new dash. Not sure about the windshield, but I don't think there is a special windshield for HUD models vs non HUD models. The $600 the mckcab paid is about right; I had my 05 Envoy windshield replaced for just about the same cost and the Envoy doesn't have a HUD option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I know that there is no "special" glass, all it is simply a reflection, anyone who has driven thier acadia in the sun knows about the reflection of the chrome air vents in the windshield, freaking blinding!! My dash does not have the cut out for it, I realize that it would have to be cut to fit....no big deal really. Was more curious is it just a plug and play type of thing after the dash has been cut to fit, or is there more to it than that.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
gowings said:
Well I know that there is no "special" glass, all it is simply a reflection, anyone who has driven thier acadia in the sun knows about the reflection of the chrome air vents[/color] in the windshield, freaking blinding!! My dash does not have the cut out for it, I realize that it would have to be cut to fit....no big deal really. Was more curious is it just a plug and play type of thing after the dash has been cut to fit, or is there more to it than that.
You can have those air vents replaced by flat black one's; it also includes the air vents on the driver and passenger side. I had them replaced as well as Blue. Just tell your dealer about the blinding and there is a TSB to replace them. Here is pic

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
gowings said:
Well I know that there is no "special" glass, all it is simply a reflection, anyone who has driven thier acadia in the sun knows about the reflection of the chrome air vents in the windshield, freaking blinding!!
Weird because we have LOTS of sun down here in the south, and I have never noticed or been irritated by a reflection in the windshield from the chrome vents and I don't have HUD. Maybe there IS a different type windshield glass that is more reflective when HUD is ordered. That would explain the "blinding" refections from the vents that you and others have complained about.

On the original posters note, I sure would like to add the HUD as well....but feel that it would be way too complicated. Unless I could find one with the entire dash piece in a wrecked vehicle, then I might consider it. Is there a "plug in" harness on all Acadias to facilitate connecting the HUD, or would we have to splice into the wiring somewhere(scary)?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
ccaats said:
Weird because we have LOTS of sun down here in the south, and I have never noticed or been irritated by a reflection in the windshield from the chrome vents and I don't have HUD. Maybe there IS a different type windshield glass that is more reflective when HUD is ordered. That would explain the "blinding" refections from the vents that you and others have complained about.

On the original posters note, I sure would like to add the HUD as well....but feel that it would be way too complicated. Unless I could find one with the entire dash piece in a wrecked vehicle, then I might consider it. Is there a "plug in" harness on all Acadias to facilitate connecting the HUD, or would we have to splice into the wiring somewhere(scary)?
The chrome wasn't refelcting into the windshield; it is reflecting sun into my eyes; still have the same problem with sun reflecting off the trim piece around the gear shift

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Retrofitting it depends on your skill set and budget. "Anything is possible", as the saying goes, but this would require removing the dash- not an easy job to me. As with the other "Can it be done?" type of projects, the best way to plan for this is to invest $150 in a shop manual or get the wiring info from Alldatadiy. I doubt anyone here has had the dash apart to see if the harness is there.

As to the windshield, I looked at the Safelite website. They do not give an online quote for the Acadia. I tried Autoglass.net and they gave a quote that does not say anything about the HUD. I then tried Safelite with a '96 Pontiac Bonneville (a car I used to own that had a HUD). Safelite asked if it had a HUD. Autoglass.net did not. I then went to GM parts Direct and input a 2008 Acadia. For the windshield, it showed w/o HUD and with HUD:
W/o hud (Prices are list and net w/o shipping)
07-09 $375.85 $230.62

W/hud
07-09 $502.97 $308.62 <--- $78 more[/color]

Based on this, the windshield is different for HUD equipped vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
... don't forget the "controls" for the HUD on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. These adjust the brightness and tilt of the display.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
gowings said:
Well I know that there is no "special" glass, all it is simply a reflection, anyone who has driven thier acadia in the sun knows about the reflection of the chrome air vents in the windshield, freaking blinding!! My dash does not have the cut out for it, I realize that it would have to be cut to fit....no big deal really. Was more curious is it just a plug and play type of thing after the dash has been cut to fit, or is there more to it than that.
There is for sure special glass for the HUD. My 97 Grand Prix had HUD and the first time the windshield was replaced they did not use the HUD glass and the HUD reflection was blurry and I could not read it. The windshield had to be replaced the 2nd time with the new glass compatible with HUD. I think that you will need to replace the windshield as part of the install.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Interesting; thanks for the info about the windshield

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And so I was proven wrong, thanks! :thumb: I was originally told that in my corvette there was no difference so just assumed this was the case with the acadia. I have since learned that cars equipped with a HUD have a different windshield. The windshield has a layer of reflective film laminated between the two layers of safety glass. Additionally, the HUD windshield is .3mm thicker at the base and tapered toward the top. This taper is designed to set the focal point of the HUD precisely in the area where the projector projects the HUD image on the glass. In case anyone else was interested.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Acadia Aficionado said:
The chrome wasn't refelcting into the windshield; it is reflecting sun into my eyes; still have the same problem with sun reflecting off the trim piece around the gear shift
On sunny days it's not the chrome parts that irritate me, it's the reflection in the windshield of the large cut out in the dash for HUD. LOL Go figure!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Irish said:
On sunny days it's not the chrome parts that irritate me, it's the reflection in the windshield of the large cut out in the dash for HUD. LOL Go figure!
A dash cover helps; at least in mine it does

·
Registered
370 Posts
Acadia Aficionado said:
A dash cover helps; at least in mine it does
Wow, I haven't had to buy one of those since leaving Arizona. ;D But you're right, good solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am an ex-vehicle design for a GM competitor and worked on HUD systems. Certain HUDs require a special film that is built into the windshield glass in order to pick up the unit's image. However, more expensive units do not require the special film and rely on higher display power. Sorry to lack specificity, but it is a case by case design.

·
Registered
533 Posts
In previous years (may have been solved by now) HUD was not an option in the Buick Enclave. The reason was that there was a sound insulating layer in the windshield glass that the other three Lambda vehicles ( Chev, GMC, Saturn) did not have. And, because of that layer, the HUD was not an option for the Buicks. However, that may have changed in recent years if they found a solution to the issue.

Smooth[/color] <><

1 - 20 of 22 Posts