GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer just located a 2008 Acadia for me. It is an SLT-2 in White Diamond Tricoat with Ebony interior. It has all of the bells and whistles, NAV, DVD, etc BUT it does not have heads up display. Is this feature worth ordering another one, or should I just take the one they found me? In other words, is Heads Up Display worth it? Just a question for all of you owners out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The HUD in our Acadia was a last-minute add-on. We LOVE it. I miss it when I drive my car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is the first vehicle I have ever owned with HUD. Thought it was a distraction when I test drove the car, but now I cannot live without it! I love having the song titles and navigation turns display infront of me. ;D

·
Registered
362 Posts
I love the HUD as well. I really miss it when driving our other car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
HUD was the selling feature years ago with the wife's Buick Rendezvous, and the one in the Acadia takes it to a whole new level. When I was considering ordering an '08, I told the salesman it was a must-have...

edit...there's one consideration I just thought of... A couple years ago, the Rendezvous needed a new windshield...instead of $350 or so, the HUD somehow made it a $2500 windshield. It didn't change our mind on the new car though...

·
Registered
389 Posts
So, how does a zero deductible for windshield replacement work if it costs $2500?!?!? Is it still Zero and the insurance eats it or is there a max for the windshield coverage and you pay the difference? Always wondered about that...I have no idea but I guess it could vary from carrier to carrier.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Your insurance agent will try and find a cheap replacement. You may have to fight them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The windshield only cost us the $100 deductable, but I imagine the insurance industry will impose a premium...sooner or later.

(I have no idea if the Acadia has a special glass for the HUD)...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The HUD is the reason I am buying the Acadia over the Outlook. Trust me, it is the only reason.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The hud is great i had a grand prix with it and replaced two windshields and it was around 200 dollars more because of the special gold inlay for the hud. In all the total without insurance was 600 dollars, i think 2500 is a bit high. The insurance paid all but the 100 dollar deduct.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had HUD in both of my Grand Prix's and have loved it, the latest one in my 2007 is much better then the one in my 1999. I specifically ordered the Acadia because of the HUD option. It is a great feature and in my opinion should be offered on many more vehicles. It always makes me feel good to know that on all of the more expensive brands I see driving down the road that this is one feature that none of them have. Completely worth the extra couple of hundred extra dollars.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can honestly say that it would be hard to ever buy a car again with out HUD.

When I drive the wife's P/T, or the F150, it distracts me to have look and find the speedometer.

For real.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found it distracting at first, and often turn it off. The nice thing is, you can turn it on and off, as well as move it around. It is nice to see your info on the windscreen...I am still adjusting to mine. Probably comes down to how fast you want to be in your new car.
Can't say I use mine that much...but maybe in time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I hate to be the party pooper but I thought it was great the first few months I have had it but the novelty is wearing off. I find myself mostly turning it off these days, particularly in busy traffic. I currently only use it much when I'm manually controlling gears and now that I've discovered that enabling the trailering option pretty much takes care of my gear control issues, I really don't use it much at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Love it. Don’t want to live without it. Bought it expecting it to be a novelty but now find myself dependent on it. Like others, when I drive a car without it I become confused and have to hunt for the speedometer.
Reasons I like it:
1) Able to monitor speed much easier (even when speeding. Great for when the radar detector goes off, I already see the speed I’m going!)
2) Turn signals appear in the HUD… prevents me from becoming blinker-man and looking like a jackass
3) XM Radio song title is displayed. VERY COOL.
4) Tachometer, outside temp, and hi-beams indicators… all good info.

I’d actually love it if they made the HUD larger, put the gas and engine heat up there and got rid of the dash. That would make for an interesting looking interior.
If I were to buy a car again I would prefer it to have a HUD.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wanted the HUD because it's a cool gadget (and because the airplane I crewed in the Navy didn't even have one). My wife thought it was a novelty and probably would not have ordered it if I hadn't insisted. Now she loves it as much as I do. I rarely look at the speedometer on the dash any more (and a tach with an automatic is superfluous) so I really only scan the temp occasionally. Not necessarily a deal-breaker for most, but we find it useful. My only complaint is that I'd like it to dim a bit more. I always ran a very dark cockpit at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts