GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may know, the HUD will not be available on the Enclave for the '08 model year vehicle to be released this summer due to incompatibility of the HUD with the special sound-proofing laminate they are putting in the windshield of the Enclave to assure that it is the quietest SUV on the road. I just received an e-mail from Tim Okenka, the Buick Product Manager for GM, that their engineers are hard at work trying to resolve this incompatibility and are close to being able to do so. They hope to have HUD be available on the Enclave by the '09 model year, its second year of production.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is HUD on the saturn? I was trying to price an Outlook equivelent to our Acadia, and I could not find HUD as an option.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
mitchl said:
Is HUD on the saturn? I was trying to price an Outlook equivelent to our Acadia, and I could not find HUD as an option.
No. HUD is not available on the Outlook. That's one big reason I'm leaning toward the Acadia.

·
Registered
310 Posts
loach said:
No. HUD is not available on the Outlook. That's one big reason I'm leaning toward the Acadia.
We were going to pass on HUD, because my wife and I thought it was just a stupid waste of $350; but when we went to order our car, we asked the dealer to let us ride in a loaded SLT2 so we could take an hour or so to finalize exactly what we wanted (it was pretty much a base SLT2 with the bench, and maybe a DVD at that point). Within a block from the dealer, my wife noticed the HUD, and said that she thought it might be useful. About a half mile further, she said- "That might keep me from getting a ticket"--- ding, ding, ding SOLD!

When I started driving a little bit later I too was sold, it is so natural how you start using it, and then the really cool instrument panel does start to look cool but also complex. I can't believe that Buick is passing on it for this year, the Rendevous has been selling that feature for a while, and you would think they would make sure they have it. After we decided we wanted it, we decided that it was nolonger an option.

On my wife's comment about the ticket, I did realize later, that she currently drives a V8 Grand Cherokee, which is very fast off the line, and has no trouble accelerating on the highway also. ( slightly lower HP than the Acadia, but a lot more torque, and about 1,000 less lbs). I kinda wonder even with her lead foot, if she has avoided it in the Jeep, would she even get one in the Acadia anyway? The Acadia rides nicer at 80 though than the Jeep, so maybe her speed will creep up more often.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My wife also seems to be sold on the HUD. She is about 5'3" and in a lot of vehicles when she tilts the wheel to a comfortable position, it blocks the view of the gauges. Something to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the HUD in my Corvette for the last two years and it is invaluable. Main reason I'm leaning towards the Acadia rather than the Enclave.
I don't understand why soundproofing on the windshield would matter. You can retrofit the HUD in the Corvette into non OEM equipped cars with ordinary windshields and they work fine.
Methinks it is typically planned GM feature creep through the model life cycle. In three years it'll get a V8, heated and cooled seats and headrest video instead of flipdown.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Don't own one yet, but I think the HUD is an awesome feature and a must have for my Acadia.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the issue has to do with the lamination of the windshield and it not being able to reflect the HUD images properly, or at all for that matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the HUD on my Pontiac Grand Prix back in 2001. I did not get it on my new Acadia just because I couldn't find the color and other options I wanted on the vehicle from the dealer lot (I was dealing with the Presidents day sale dates). Anyway, nice option but when I got a crack in my windshield from a flying rock, it almost costs twice as much to replace the windshield according to my insurance company. I guess that's why we have insurance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't imagine that the windshield would be different because of the HUD. Seems to me the option would be a lot higher if it was. Its just reflecting back off the glass or at least thats the way I look at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a different windshield for HUD. It will work with a normal windshield, but the display looks pretty bad and won't work well in daylight. I would prefer that the engineers at GM get it right before they offer a HUD in the Enclave.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So, imagine the day when you get the inevitable rock chip and big crack, and need a new windshield for your HUD-equipped Acadia.

Do you have to be sure the insurance and glass companies use a correct (factory or OEM equivalent) windshield so the HUD still works properly?

Whenever I've replaced windshields in other vehicles, it seems like the glass is always some off-brand supplier I've never heard of.

Think this will be an issue down the road?

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my buddies old Pontiac Bonne, he had a HUD, and when he replaced the windshield it did cost him a lot more. They have to use the proper one, and it needed to be ordered and they wanted more to install it too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
SOM said:
On my buddies old Pontiac Bonne, he had a HUD, and when he replaced the windshield it did cost him a lot more. They have to use the proper one, and it needed to be ordered and they wanted more to install it too.
I don't know what the extra cost would be or whether or not, depending on the circumstances, insurance would cover replacement but I must say I really like the HUD. When I first test drove the Acadia I didn't like it, I thought it was distracting but now that I have it I'm glad I do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes special glass is used in HUD equiped models... It will work w/regular glass but you will notice a difference in bright sunlight. This has been an issue on Corvettes for years... Simply a cool tool that I am surprised is not on other models.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After driving my Acadia for over a year-and-a-half with HUD, I realize that I haven't actually looked at the gauges very much at all (the tach is on the left, isn't it?).

I'm constantly looking for the HUD display in the windshield of my Jeep, wishing that it was available on that vehicle as well.

When I replace the Acadia in 2011 -- when the Acadia's rumoured to be shelved -- I'll be hoping the Lambda-based Escalade has HUD!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Gills said:
When I replace the Acadia in 2011 -- when the Acadia's rumoured to be shelved ...
That's an interesting rumor. What is the basis for the rumor, if I may ask?

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
125 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts