GMC Acadia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Acadia with 88,000 miles suddenly has headlights that will not turn on. Could this just be a blown fuse? Which fuse is it? Is this something I can easily fix myself. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
braddeverly said:
My 2007 Acadia with 88,000 miles suddenly has headlights that will not turn on. Could this just be a blown fuse? Which fuse is it? Is this something I can easily fix myself. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
could be as simple as the fuse. Update your siganture with vehicle details. That will help some others here. Do you have HID? Can you flash your highbeams?
Do your foglights work? Do you have your owners manual? The manual will show you the location of the fuses and what fuse controls what.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
+1 for what bonk said.

As I recall on a headlight switch question, all Acadias have automatic headlights, a feature1 that cannot be overridden unless you do so each time you drive. In addition to what bonk posted:

(The key may need to be on for this)

1) In the auto position (default position), when the light sensor on top of the dash is covered and 30-45 seconds have elapsed (or it is dark :)), do they come on?

2) If you rotate the switch to the on position, do they come on?

If:
1=No and 2= Yes, the sensor is probably defective.

1=Yes and 2=No, the headlight switch is probably defective.

1= No and 2= No, check fuses per the owner's manual.

1 I feel much safer when I drive at night knowing this is present so that other drivers, not realizing it is dark, will be driving with their headlights on. I'm looking for it to be a FMVSS soon. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
And how about the dash lights which dim a bit when the headlights come on? This could assist with your process of elimination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It is a 2007 Base Model Acadia with AWD. I have automatic headlights but no HID. The daytime running lights also are not working. The highbeams and the foglights do work. Since i have just under 90,000 miles on it I no longer have any recourse with GM under warranty, unless i am missing something.

The fuses are also fine. I am afraid this could get expensive.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,561 Posts
This might sound impossible, but if your high beams, fog lights, tail lights, etc. are working, maybe there's a chance that both low beam bulbs have burned out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speleos said:
This might sound impossible, but if your high beams, fog lights, tail lights, etc. are working, maybe there's a chance that both low beam bulbs have burned out.
I hope that is all it is, i just have a hard time imagining them both going out at the same time. I am certain both were working the day before. How hard is it to change the low bulb beam bulbs. Where can i buy them?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
You can search the forum for headlights; the process can be a little bit of work. The cost shouldn't be too bad since you don't have HID; are you looking to change them yourself? Taking it to the dealer will cost you more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jsimms said:
You can search the forum for headlights; the process can be a little bit of work. The cost shouldn't be too bad since you don't have HID; are you looking to change them yourself? Taking it to the dealer will cost you more.
Question - The Daytime running lights are not working either. Do these use the same bulb as the low beam lights? Before I go and change the low beams I want to be sure that its definitely not something else. Thanks for all the help!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,561 Posts
braddeverly said:
Question - The Daytime running lights are not working either. Do these use the same bulb as the low beam lights? Before I go and change the low beams I want to be sure that its definitely not something else. Thanks for all the help!
I think they are the same!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Yes they are the same; DRL and low beams are the same
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
braddeverly said:
Thanks for the replies. It is a 2007 Base Model Acadia with AWD. I have automatic headlights but no HID. The daytime running lights also are not working. The highbeams and the foglights do work. Since i have just under 90,000 miles on it[/color] I no longer have any recourse with GM under warranty, unless i am missing something.

The fuses are also fine. I am afraid this could get expensive.
While the time you have owned the vehicle is relatively short (2 years or so), the miles tell a different story. Due to the DRL function, the low beams will be the first to go since they are always on when you are putting miles on the vehicle.

If you search the Xenon Depot board here, there is a thread and/or a link that shows headlight replacement. It is aimed at HID installation, but the bulb process is the same. You may want to upgrade while at it, or if it is too complex, let a shop do the repair.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Due to the DRL function, the low beams will be the first to go since they are always on when you are putting miles on the vehicle.
Since I have read the bulb change thread; I will turn off my automatic headlights during the day with good weather to try and save some life on the bulbs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
I'm not sure the DRLs are controlled by the headlight switch- have you checked this? On the other late model GM car I've owned, they came on with the motor running & parking brake released regardless of headlight switch position. I think the automatic trans vehicles have to be in gear as well- no experience with these.

Regardless, it's really too bad that the Acadia doesn't have a "normal" headlight switch. I was thinking the auto headlights were recently mandated but found they are not (yet). My 2009 Dodge lets you put (and keep :)) the switch in auto or off. I keep it "off" since when I pull into the garage in "auto", the lights come on for like 15 seconds.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
The DRL's will go off when you turn the automatic headlights off, I have verified this operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have a 2008 SLT2 that just did the same thing - we only have 20,000 miles. Everything works except BOTH the headlamps AND we do NOT have highbeams. (so parkings lights, fog lamps, taillights, etc. work). We tried looking at the fuses but really could not pinpoint which one is for the lamps. ??? Any luck solving your problem?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,561 Posts
Alright DavesAcadia! :thumb: Now we need to hear from the original poster (braddeverly) and find out what solved his headlight problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
jsimms said:
The DRL's will go off when you turn the automatic headlights off, I have verified this operation.
Ditto for the 2009 SLT2, also verified.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top