GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on way home from work I noticed that my headlights were not working. Neither the low or the hi beams work. The led lights around the perimeter of the headlight work, the running lights work and the fog lights work. I tried different positions on the headlight switch from auto to on but no change. I checked the two 10 amp fuses (LT Hi Beam and RT Hi Beam) and found them to be good. The manual also shows right and left daytime running lamp fuses - I checked them and they are good. The manual also shows right and left daytime running lamp relays as well as a high beam headlamps relay. I have not tried replacing the bulbs yet (approx $65.00 price tag) because I didn't think both left and right bulb would fail at the same time. I had replaced both left and right bulbs with Sylvania Silver Star zXe halogen bulbs in September of last year (so only 1 year on the bulbs) . Any ideas before I open the new bulb package or have to take it to the dealership. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
It seems unlikely, but possible, that both bulbs would burn out at the same time. Find a way to apply power to the old bulbs before you open the new ones to be sure if they're burned out or not. Halogens don't need a special starter (ballast) to get them lit. If the old bulbs light, you'll have to dig deeper into the problem. Use a VOM, or test light to trace the headlight power if you find the bulbs are good.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
p.s. Use nitrile gloves (not latex) or oil-free tissue to handle the bulbs. Any oil from your fingers/skin which comes into contact with the bulb can drastically shorten its life.

p.p.s. I also added your vehicle's information in the signature block of your profile. Everyone will now know what you're driving. That way you won't have to use it in a thread title, again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The headlights, low or high beams, on my 2013 Acadia won't come on. All the other lights work, and when you try to turn on the high beams you hear a clicking sound. None of the fuses are blown. Does anyone know what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck finding a resolution to the headlight problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,001 Posts
Maybe both lights have burned out. It doesn't occur often, but has happened before to a few vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! Our lights went out the other night same as you described. Any updates to your issue? My thought was the same that they shouldn't all go out at the same time. I also checked fuses and they were good. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
No resolution yet. I tweeted GMC over the weekend. They actually called today and offered to set up an appointment for me with the nearest dealer. They made sure I knew I will be responsible for all cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
let me know if you find anything out. We are bringing in our car tomorrow to get it looked at. If I find something out, will let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My headlights are working now. After pulling and checking all the fuses & relays, tracing the schematics for the headlights, and anything else you can think of, the darn headlights blew at the same time. Didn't think it could happen but it did. Just changed them out and they work great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here! Both blew out at the same time. I checked the fuses and everything looked good. Our AC went out for the third time so I had the tech check for shorts and he said it was just bulbs burnt out. Anyway, I bought new bulbs and installed them and they work fine. They wanted 200 to change them. I had them changed in about 30 minutes after watching a youtube video.

Side note, the rear evap goes out frequently and if you have one of the fault units, try to get the dealer to pay a portion. They know it is an issue that should be a recall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts