GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if someone posted this information already. Yesterday, I discovered while driving in the rain that when you're in automatic light control setting and you turn on the wipers, the vehicle switches from daytime running lights to turning on the headlights, tail lights, license plate lights. This was easily identfiable since I have the HID lights. For those of you with the nav system, the nav display does not display in night mode if you have it set to auto. Helpful feature for those of you that live in states requiring the lights to be on when the wipers are on.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cool...Maine is that way, although it's funny to see the idiots who don't turn them on in hard rain or snow. :banghead:

·
Registered
261 Posts
'Helpful feature for those of you that live in states requiring the lights to be on when the wipers are on.

I had never heard of that before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's a great idea! NC requires you to turn on your lights. I haven't driven my Acadia in the rain yet so I haven't discovered this feature.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i noticed that too. when you turn the lights on in the yukon every thing turns on but in the acadia the dash lights or the nav does not turn on. cool, but i like the dark mode on the nav.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That is great, did not notice that as I drove to work today in the rain and snow, I will have to pay attention on the way home. I need some nice weather here on the weekend so I can detail the Acadia, I've had for over three weeks and I have not been able to detail yet. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
luvmyacadia said:
'Helpful feature for those of you that live in states requiring the lights to be on when the wipers are on.

I had never heard of that before.
It's the law in quite a few states.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you sure?

I haven't stood in front of my Acadia in the rain to see if it switches from DRL to HID and other exterior lamps on when the wipers are turned on. You said you were driving...how could you tell from inside the car?

Let's say you just clean the windshield with the wipers. Seems odd that would turn other lights on and then off when finished. To me, as a driver outside of the Acadia, that would be distracting.

If Acadia does this, it's another sophistication for her. When I've turned on the wipers in daylight, I haven't noticed the interior dash and control lights coming on or changing. This would mean that Acadia has even more combos for the auto light system.

Just FYI, there isn't anything in the manual that states lights come on with the auto system when wipers are used.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I heard in Canada it is a required feature on all cars produced in the last few years. I'm glad it made it's way south of the border!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Canuck said:
New car ideas, hockey players and doctors is what we ship down south....
If you play hockey. . . you need a doctor close by!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rae,
I will eat 1/2 crow.

I tried this after work when I got home since it was misting. If you turn the wipers on any of the intermittent settings, you just have the DRL on. You have to up the wipers to the low continuous speed or high speed for lights to switch to on and the other lights to turn on. When you go back to intermittent, it turns back to DRL in several seconds.

It is a very handy feature, but my experience is that my wipers are on full low or high speed very rarely, as I mix RainX in my wiper fluid. With the water beading and the aerodynamics of most vehicle windshields, the water just blows away.

Very interesting that this IS NOT mentioned in the Acadia owners manual.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Rae,
I will eat 1/2 crow.

I tried this after work when I got home since it was misting. If you turn the wipers on any of the intermittent settings, you just have the DRL on. You have to up the wipers to the low continuous speed or high speed for lights to switch to on and the other lights to turn on. When you go back to intermittent, it turns back to DRL in several seconds.

It is a very handy feature, but my experience is that my wipers are on full low or high speed very rarely, as I mix RainX in my wiper fluid. With the water beading and the aerodynamics of most vehicle windshields, the water just blows away.

Very interesting that this IS NOT mentioned in the Acadia owners manual.
What mixture do you use and is their a particular RainX that you use. I know they have several out now, the original plus a few others.

·
Registered
246 Posts
dchillrat said:
I heard in Canada it is a required feature on all cars produced in the last few years. I'm glad it made it's way south of the border!
Hmm, I learn something new every day :banana:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sometimes I just buy gallons of the RainX premixed when it's on sale.
I have several bottles of RainX solution made for mixing into washer fluid. One takes 2 oz/gal, the other 1 oz/gal. Don't exactly know the difference between the 2 other than color.

Do not use the RainX fluid that you clean and treat windows and mirrors with. I forgot to add that I first clean and treat the windshield with regular RainX and periodically after several washes. Also, I don't know if they make it anymore, but there is a RainX for mirrors (like in your bathroom) that I've used on the interior of the windshield to prevent fogging.

Hope this isn't confusing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't used it for years. Doesn't rain that much in Southern California but I was thinking of doing the windows with it. When I was in the auto parts store a few weeks ago I noticed several different types. I left with none but I figured next time maybe I would pick one up. I'm headed to Boston over the weekend so I should take a bottle with me and use it on the rental.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts