GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Acadia, 1st i have drivers side headlight go out along with the fog like.
Checked fog light was unplugged, i bought a new bulb for the headlight. Had a hard time removing the old bulb connector was melted.
Finally got the old bulb out put the new one in after some wiggling got the bulb to light up. However it was very hot immediately, worked for 1 day and went out again.
That was a week ago, yesterday the passengers side went out as well. Every other light on the car works fine. Anyone know what is causing this and what is the fix?

·
Super Moderator
19,290 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Seems as though the light socket (connector) may be burnt enough to cause the problem. That was a common with early Acadias on both halogen- and HID-equipped vehicles. The sockets can be replaced. Best to solder and heat shrink the wires if the sockets are changed. Don't butt splice them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Seems as though the light socket (connector) may be burnt enough to cause the problem. That was a common with early Acadias on both halogen- and HID-equipped vehicles. The sockets can be replaced. Best to solder and heat shrink the wires if the sockets are changed. Don't butt splice them.
Not meaning to hijack but thought I'd jump in as my driver side low beam is on its 2nd melted socket on my 2010 halogen model. Is there no permanent solution? I'm considering leaving the cover removed as it does seem to get pretty hot down there but it's probably unwise as dust and stuff will likely get in there. Just frustrated lol, it's not terribly fun to work with the way it is setup down there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Best solution is to buy, splice in and solder a new headlight connector. Then apply some silicon dielectric grease to the contacts on the bulb and connector contacts. This may help in preventing oxidation and high resistance which heats up and then melts the connector.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Best solution is to buy, splice in and solder a new headlight connector. Then apply some silicon dielectric grease to the contacts on the bulb and connector contacts. This may help in preventing oxidation and high resistance which heats up and then melts the connector.
I've done that once already, the replacement connector is almost melted through a few months later. Was the Dorman "high temp" connector I put on. I'm just wondering if LEDs would help with heat generation in that area, it gets really warm especially if engine at full operating temp

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've done that once already, the replacement connector is almost melted through a few months later. Was the Dorman "high temp" connector I put on. I'm just wondering if LEDs would help with heat generation in that area, it gets really warm especially if engine at full operating temp

LED replacements would indeed help. As long as you have a projector type housing.
The LED bulbs only draw about 2 amps . . so much less than the halogen bulbs.
I have 9012 LED bulbs installed in our 2019 Acadia. They work very well. As long as the replacement bulb can be "indexed" to the correct 180 degree position of the flat sides containing the LED chips . .. that is what is key.
Here are two below and also Diode Dynamics is supposed to have some and Xenon Depot or Headlight Revolution.

Auxito 9012 LED

Alla Lighting 9012

1 - 6 of 6 Posts