GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to prolong the life of my headlights (now that I've had the pleasant experience of having to get one replaced), I've been turning off the automatic control when it's daylight outside so that they don't continue to turn on and off as I drive through shaded areas or whatever. They seem to turn on and off a lot on just my drive in to work every day. Anyway, I noticed something weird today... though the DRLs are turned off, the dash lights and whatnot continue to be automated in that they dim and brighten depending on if I'm driving through a sunny or cloudy area. Must be controlled separately because the headlights definitely weren't coming on. Just thought it was strange and wanted to share. :) It's almost kind of annoying to have the lights inside dimming and brightening on a freaking 35 mile trip to work in the morning, but if I turn the music up loud enough, I don't hear them click on and off. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
How do you know the headlights werent coming on when the dash was dimming and brightening?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonk1313 said:
How do you know the headlights werent coming on when the dash was dimming and brightening?
Because I could see my Acadia's reflection in the back of the vehicle in front of me. And also that little red light on the knob that turns the auto headlights off didn't light up. When that is lit, I know the headlights are on.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
In an effort to prolong the life of my headlights (now that I've had the pleasant experience of having to get one replaced), I've been turning off the automatic control when it's daylight outside so that they don't continue to turn on and off as I drive through shaded areas or whatever. They seem to turn on and off a lot on just my drive in to work every day. Anyway, I noticed something weird today... though the DRLs are turned off, the dash lights and whatnot continue to be automated in that they dim and brighten depending on if I'm driving through a sunny or cloudy area. Must be controlled separately because the headlights definitely weren't coming on. Just thought it was strange and wanted to share. :) It's almost kind of annoying to have the lights inside dimming and brightening on a freaking 35 mile trip to work in the morning, but if I turn the music up loud enough, I don't hear them click on and off. LOL
The UV sensor on your dash controls your instrument lighting level; you are basically overriding the headlamp control when you turn off the DRL's. The DRL's receive input from the sensor to determine if they should be in DRL mode or night mode

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsimms said:
Web Raven said:
The UV sensor on your dash controls your instrument lighting level; you are basically overriding the headlamp control when you turn off the DRL's. The DRL's receive input from the sensor to determine if they should be in DRL mode or night mode
My first thought was "Thank you Captain Obvious" LOL But that's just rude. :) :p

Thank you for pointing out what I did come to the realize already... that they must be controlled separately when they were not functioning together anymore. I just wanted to post here and share that with everyone in case someone else might be thinking they're on crack when their auto-headlights are turned off, but their dash lights, etc. continue to dim and brighten.

I suppose if I wanted to stop that from happening, I'd have to find that dang sensor and put something over it... but I'm too lazy to be bothered with that.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Uh; if you know of the sensor; I would think you knew where it was located :). Anyway; for reference; it's on the middle part of the dash next to the vents; looks like a bubble

EDIT: Sorry I was just happy that I actually knew a technical answer to something instead of having to search the forum for answers

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jsimms said:
Uh; if you know of the sensor; I would think you knew where it was located :). Anyway; for reference; it's on the middle part of the dash next to the vents; looks like a bubble
I know where that little bubble is. I see it all the time. Just sitting there on my dash serving it's purpose... which is obviously to annoy me by clicking my instrument lights on and off while I drive. Maybe I'll toss Scrat over it. Scrat serves no purpose other than to sit on my dashboard and stare at me.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
jsimms said:
I know where that little bubble is. I see it all the time. Just sitting there on my dash serving it's purpose... which is obviously to annoy me by clicking my instrument lights on and off while I drive. Maybe I'll toss Scrat over it. Scrat serves no purpose other than to sit on my dashboard and stare at me.
You mentioned that you "hear" the click of the lights as they change; I don't recall hearing it, but then again I'm not listening for it. I usually have XM8 turned up

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If in fact the lights didn't come on that is truely odd that it adjusts the interior trim lights. Interesting find Web.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Could this be an SLE-SLT thing?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey Web, did you know that by turning off the headlights you are actually helping save the planet? It's all about energy consumption. The less energy the car consumes, the lesser fuel it need to burn, hence the lesser CO2 emissions. I think we should all stop using the drl automatic control.

:angel:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
preytor said:
Hey Web, did you know that by turning off the headlights you are actually helping save the planet? It's all about energy consumption. The less energy the car consumes, the lesser fuel it need to burn, hence the lesser CO2 emissions. I think we should all stop using the drl automatic control.

:angel:
I used to turn off my DRL's on my Envoy; only because they were $50 a pair!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jsimms said:
You mentioned that you "hear" the click of the lights as they change; I don't recall hearing it, but then again I'm not listening for it. I usually have XM8 turned up
I don't hear it unless I have the radio off for whatever reason. Then I hear it click. Listen next time. It does actually make a sound. :) That, or superb hearing is one of my super-powers.

preytor said:
Most excellent! Not only am I saving myself money because these lights shouldn't wear out as quickly... but I'm also saving the planet. :thumb: You guys are welcome. :angel:

bonk1313 said:
If in fact the lights didn't come on that is truely odd that it adjusts the interior trim lights. Interesting find Web.
I thought so, which is exactly why I posted it.

Side Note: I just figured out that you can use the "insert quote" feature from any of the replies to one thread to insert multiple quotes into just one post thereby only needing to post ONE response instead of going back and responding to each person. That's cool. Makes life a little easier when trying to answer multiple things at once.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just my 2 cents ::)
Mythbusters tested the theory of options consuming fuel as well as ac, windows up or down, ect. and it was found to be inconclusive due to it being so close. Today's new cars are actually extremely efficient. You would be better off removing as much dead weight in the car as possible, ie seats, radio passengers, you know.. that kinda stuff... also, removing the lights would also help loose some more weight and maybe put in some lanterns!!! :) :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, on a more serious note, the relay in the lt driver side panel is likely what you hear clicking as it engages, also if you have the hid option and they are on, they will make a sound engaging..... :) :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Silverado02 said:
Oh, on a more serious note, the relay in the lt driver side panel is likely what you hear clicking as it engages, also if you have the hid option and they are on, they will make a sound engaging..... :) :cheers:
Yeah, that's what my b/f told me, that it's a relay making the noise. I figured as much. Like I said, with the radio on, you don't notice it. Or at least, I don't. :)

No HIDs here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
:thumb:
likely the lighting relay in the junction box. :-*

·
Registered
250 Posts
Silverado02 said:
Just my 2 cents ::)
Mythbusters tested the theory of options consuming fuel as well as ac, windows up or down, ect. and it was found to be inconclusive due to it being so close. Today's new cars are actually extremely efficient. You would be better off removing as much dead weight in the car as possible, ie seats, radio passengers, you know.. that kinda stuff... also, removing the lights would also help loose some more weight and maybe put in some lanterns!!! :) :thumb:
One reason is because they (Mythdusters) are trying to do it in a very short period of time. To realize the fruition of using less energy is computed based on the car's lifetime (10+ years).

·
Registered
96 Posts
:thumb:
ok
:banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts