GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about tinting the headlights/tail lights on my Carbon Black Acadia... I've seen the tint overlays on ebay. Has anyone done this yet? Have any pics?

If not.. anybody out there have time to photoshop some tinted headlight/tail lights on a Carbon Black Acadia???

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've been tempted to try the headlight tint on Ebay, but when I contacted the seller I never got any response back. I also am not sure I would like it on the headlights...safety concerns. I currently have the taillight tint on my Carbon Black Acadia from a company called Lamin-X. Looks to be the same as the stuff on Ebay, but much more pricey. I used the Smoke tint which allows 83% light output still and just bought small sheets of it. At the time I bought it, the company did not offer the Acadia kits and I was not looking to cover the entire light anyway. Here's the link to my original post on this subject.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2585.0

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would be worried about the reduction of light output. The headlamp is a saftey device.

Also It has been well documented that when a decorative cover is placed over a headlamp lens the heat from the bulbs will be trapped inside the lamp creating risk for the outer lens to melt. This also applies to anti-scratch blankets put over the lamp while someone works on the engine. Make sure the blanket is removed if you turn the car on, because the DRL or the low beam will turn on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not talking about covers... but the smoked vinyl overlays. I'll probably do it in the future... maybe when I get a little "free time".. if nothing else.. just to see how it looks. I might hate it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just bought the optic blue tint for my front hid lights. I'll let you know. I bought it of ebay for 20 bucks. If I like it, I will do the rest. I don't think one small layer of tinting is going to destroy the lights....IMHO

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
patman75 said:
I would be worried about the reduction of light output. The headlamp is a safety device.
Bingo. It is illegal in Florida to place any material over a lamp required by law- i.e. headlights, taillights, stoplights, turn signals. Lights on vehicles serve only two purposes: To see (headlights) and be seen (all of them).

What is the benefit for covering/tinting your lamps? Some food for thought:

1) A majority of crashes involve the front of one car hitting the rear of another. If you are the car in front & have deliberately reduced the output of your lamps, not only will this cause concern for your insurance company, but the personal injury attorney for the one that ran into you will have ammo to mitigate any damages you may receive. Unlike criminal cases where the standard is guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, civil personal injury cases are decided by percentages of liability. You're hit and get a $100K judgment. The jury finds you were 20% liable since you covered over your lights. This modification just cost you $20K!

2) Any reduction in output from a headlight or taillight is dangerous here in FL and anywhere visibility can be suddenly reduced by weather. On our way south this weekend, we drove through a heavy daytime rain shower. Visibility was reduced and it was difficult to see the taillights of the vehicle in front of us on the Interstate.

3) Every responsible manufacturer that sells anything like this always has a disclaimer to the effect of "show or off-road use only, check local laws before ordering." There is a reason for this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ya and I'm seriously asking what is the point of doing this?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would not want to get into an accident w possible legality issues, that is for sure. Why do people want to reduce light vision? If anything, why don't they install under carriage blue neon lighting as alternative to make the vehicle really appealing! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Maybe all these follow up posts are intended for the original poster, but did anybody by chance follow the link that I posted regarding the first application of the tint on an Acadia?

I was smart enough to only use it as a way to modify the appearance of the rear of the vehicle without altering the functionality/visibility of the red brake lights. I merely covered the upper white portion of the lights which only reduces the light output on the reverse lamp. Remember the outer light doesn't even light up in the white section.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My reply specifically was for lights as required by law, this generally does not include backup lights. As one poster noted in your other thread though:

I bet that tint makes the already poor back-up lights even worse.

To each their own, and it is yours to do with as you please. I have been there and upset scores of Supra and RX7 owners with the Chevy motors in "their" cars, although had I not bought them they may well have been part of our new Acadia by now. :) My point is, I've never understood the desire to modify a vehicle for less performance.

EDIT
Meant to reply to teeter earlier- here in FL only police vehicles can display blue lights, and fire/EMS red visible from the front.

All this stuff falls into the category of "fad" lighting to me. 30 years ago, the "fad" was to have your front turn signals come on with your brake lights, so people in front of you would know when you were braking. ??? At some point came the multi-color flashing lights around the license plate, or that worked with the turn signals. As mentioned, the underbody lights came along. Another "fad" was to replace entire taillights with tiny retro or blue-dot lights. IMO, stuff like this is great for car shows, but our public roads are not car shows. Drivers are distracted enough these days and don't need all the additional lighting input or lower lighting levels of the existing lights.

I spent many hours getting the stock taillights to work on my Toyota- it has some type of monitor box there that causes problems & 20 years of corrosion didn't help things.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
My reply specifically was for lights as required by law, this generally does not include backup lights.
And that's the point I was trying to make really. Depending how you tint the lights it could be considered against the law or endanger others. I personally don't see how my application causes a problem in either instance, and I agree covering the entire light is not a smart thing to do. If it were for a car show, then cool, but take it off when on the streets. Maybe I was just being overly sensitive to the comments since it is a mod in which I performed.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
As one poster noted in your other thread though:
I bet that tint makes the already poor back-up lights even worse.
Of course it lowers the light output...isn't that what tint does? Kinda stating the obvious there. So if someone performs this mod and expects the light output to get better, they probably shouldn't be modifying their cars in the first place. :sosad:

·
Registered
108 Posts
It would look sharp, but it's not legal in some states including mine. You may want to check first. I got stopped at a check point, had to remove my tinted plate cover then go to an inspection station and have them check and sign that I removed it. A real hassle!
lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts