GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this topic has been discussed once, however, I was looking to replace my headlights with either PIAA bulbs or Silverstars.
I can't believe that the front fascia needs to be removed. I have a hard time believing that the engineers at GM would make changing a lightbulb such a pain for their techs much less the DIY'er. Does anyone have the repair guide by Hayes to clear this up or has anyone attempted it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried this too and while I did not confirm with any manual or the dealer, it looks like there is no other way. :banghead:

I could almost get the passenger side bulb out of the compartment after taking the assembly loose and removing some of the underhood trim but stopped short of pulling off the fascia. I could not get anywhere near the driver side bulb.

Very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the standard headlamps just remove the fender liner to access the back of the headlamp, there is a cover for each bulb that rotates counter clockwise to remove.
HID headlamps do require the removal of the facia and the capsules are extremely expensive. There is always a price to pay for better lighting. Best left to the dealer because the HID's are also high voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try...have you done this successfully?

·
Registered
17 Posts
ATVER said:
With the standard headlamps just remove the fender liner to access the back of the headlamp, there is a cover for each bulb that rotates counter clockwise to remove.
HID headlamps do require the removal of the facia and the capsules are extremely expensive. There is always a price to pay for better lighting. Best left to the dealer because the HID's are also high voltage.
I would hope no one is replacing HID bulbs at this point. They are high voltage, but not to the extent that it is overly dangerous if care is taken. Obviously, making sure the headlights are off is the main safeguard as there is no voltage storage in the ballast. I doubt the ballast will develop voltage anyway without load, but care is always warranted when working with the electrical system. BTW, the headlight assembly (HID) is $700, each!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am just trying to upgrade my halogen bulbs to Silver Star...no HID here, just an SLT-1 owner who hated to give up his Xenons on the last car! Should have sucked it up and got the SLT-2!

BTW, I did what ATVER suggested (thanks) and that made the job much easier - only about 10 minutes to get to the bulb housing. Only problem was the bulb I pulled out did not match the 9005SU bulb I bought. I don't think that is the right Sylvania part # for the 2008. I have a buddy in sales at Sylvania and am waiting for him to let me know the skinny. Will post his answer once I hear back.

This forum is great...thanks to all who share their stories and info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, according to my friend at Sylvania, no Silver Star bulbs for the Acadia yet. He did not know when they would be available.

Anyone out there have a different experience with another supplier?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boschguy,

Good to hear that things worked out ok for accessing the headlamps. I'm assuming that th 9005's are for the high beam. Did you find high intensity halogens for the low beam? There are racing bulbs that you may be able to buy, thank the street racers for that. Did you look at the bulb numbers when you took out the lamps? You may be able to cross them over to another manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
if the engine bay and top area by the radiator is anything like the traverse.... then going in by the top-- is not the best thing..
GOing in by the wheel well is easier.
And--- Ive done it (traverse) and now takes me 10 min per side... 1st time longer-- because of the learning experience

·
Registered
361 Posts
Definitely do not follow the "eHow" guide. You have to go through the wheel well. :eek:hno:
According to Sylvania, there is a Silverstar available. Here are the sizes--I did this for my 2008, but I think all years are the same:

2008 GMC Acadia (With halogen capsule headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
H11
H11SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H11ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

High beam headlamp
9005SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
9005ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
9005XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
9005CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
EKinMN said:
High beam headlamp
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
What the heck do they mean by this? :shrug: :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
:rofl:

I must have missed that the first time around; it seems they are appealing to the environmentalist out there

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
wow-- ecobright... had not seen that option...
But wheel well is the way to go.

I run the Silverstars in my Traverse

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
AA/78U said:
I must have missed that the first time around; it seems they are appealing to the environmentalist out there
Do you seriously believe a headlight can cut CO2 emmissions and give you better gas mileage? (unless you're using Coleman Lanterns) :hilarious:

I'll sell you a tidal wetland in Wyoming!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Speleos said:
Do you seriously believe a headlight can cut CO2 emmissions and give you better gas mileage? (unless you're using Coleman Lanterns) :hilarious:

I'll sell you a tidal wetland in Wyoming!
No, but I am interested in your tidal wetlands ;D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,

I just wanted to thank all the people contributing to this thread that I read all of your posts and performed this procedure while recording it with my IPhone 4. I was mainly thinking of inspiring those budding do-it-yourselfers that just need that extra inspiration to do this headlight bulb installation, but wanted to see it done first.

Please share your experiences as well if the videos have helped in any way.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=8457.0

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yessir the GMC engineers win the SFB award for this design. That would be the SH!T FOR BRAINS award. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just remove 2 screws from the wheel well cowling, start car to turn wheel since screwdriver doesnt have clearance, remove other 3 screws, start car turn wheel other direction, remove screws from other side, pry it down (doesn't come all the way off), pinch forearms when cowling snaps back into place, blindly unscrew cover then blindly 1/4 turn lamp holder and pull out, then hold flashlight in your mouth and use both hands to pry back metal tabs from bulb nubs to release the bulb.

Geniuses!!!!

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
titleist1 said:
Yessir the GMC engineers win the SFB award for this design. That would be the SH!T FOR BRAINS award. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just remove 2 screws from the wheel well cowling, start car to turn wheel since screwdriver doesnt have clearance, remove other 3 screws, start car turn wheel other direction, remove screws from other side, pry it down (doesn't come all the way off), pinch forearms when cowling snaps back into place, blindly unscrew cover then blindly 1/4 turn lamp holder and pull out, then hold flashlight in your mouth and use both hands to pry back metal tabs from bulb nubs to release the bulb.

Geniuses!!!!
Perhaps with the difficulty of getting to that area they, in their infinite wisdom as engineers, said "they will take it to the dealer for bulb replacement". Of course we all know that is not cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts