Votes: 0 0.0%
  • n

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Acadia SLT without hid headlights, so I ordered some matrix diamond style headlight bulbs H11's back in June 2008. March 1st 2009 the driver headlight assembly was foggy on the inside and over time it got worse but the light bulb still worked. I took it to the dealership and they ordered a new assembly thinking it was water. March 28th 2009 the driver bulb went out. March 30th I took it in and they took the assembly off the vehicle and said it was fogged up due to the connector on the back of the bulb burnt up. Now i have to buy a new assembly because they said it was due to the bulb i put in and it voided the warranty. I can’t believe this due to the assembly was fogged up and the bulb still working for one month before the bulb went out. Is this normal, no where on any website does it recommend to upgrade the wiring harness for aftermarket lights? I have the same bulbs on my camaro since 2002 and have had no problems. Why did this happen on a new car and why did it take 8 months for it to happen?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You run this risk anytime you go with non OEM or after market accessories.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
mikemu said:
You run this risk anytime you go with non OEM or after market accessories.
I second that. I would say not to do any after market accessories (that involve electronics, engine computer stuff, things like that) till after the factory warranty is over. Things like mud guards, body stuff, wheels, and things like that should be OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the headlight assembly fogged up do to the bulb connection burnt up along with the wiring harness the bulb plugs into. So if you have an acadia dont put aftermarket bulbs in unless you buy the wiring harness with it. If they burn up the jack-hole aftermarket companies wont help you at all. This is the reason these big car companies are going down. they are cutting in the wrong places with cheap parts and paying these CEO's more money. I see too many vehicles around with aftermarked bulbs in them, why are they not having problems.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jsigler said:
the headlight assembly fogged up do to the bulb connection burnt up along with the wiring harness the bulb plugs into. So if you have an acadia dont put aftermarket bulbs in unless you buy the wiring harness with it. If they burn up the jack-hole aftermarket companies wont help you at all. This is the reason these big car companies are going down. they are cutting in the wrong places with cheap parts and paying these CEO's more money. I see too many vehicles around with aftermarked bulbs in them, why are they not having problems.
*devil's advocate*

The consumer assumes the risk that aftermarket bulbs could cause damage; I think the Xenon bulbs (as advertised here) are good quality and haven't caused any problems, unfortunately you pay for what you get

·
Registered
23 Posts
My passenger side headlight bulb went out. I bought a replacement, but when I disassmbled everything and got to the bulb, the connector was somewhat melted and one of the wires was pulled out. When I tried to remove the bulb, the connector cracked. Note that this was the original bulb. Has anyone else had this problem? It does appears the Saturn Outlook had a similar issue. I have 37,000 miles, so I assume this would not be under the standard warranty. I reassembled things with the old bulb and it sometimes works, but I do need a permanent solution.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
did a few quick searches and couldn't find anything on this one before, and don't recall hearing anyone say anything about it. I would seek dealership assistance soon. If the light is occasionally working, and the wires are metled and pulling out this poses a fire hazard and could end up a larger problem. I would see your dealer and ask for them to look into this. This sounds odd.
You have made not alterations to electronics or wiring with the headlights?
The dealership may work with you on this one.

Good luck and update us on your progress

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
you may also have to apply some dielectric grease.

·
Super Moderator
21,793 Posts
rbarrios said:
you may also have to apply some dielectric grease.
Is that something like 'trans-fat?' :angel:

·
Super Moderator
21,793 Posts
carbon1 said:
My passenger side headlight bulb went out. ... the connector was somewhat melted and one of the wires was pulled out. ...It does appears the Saturn Outlook had a similar issue. ...
carbon1, is this where you found the Outlook issue?

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=804.0

rbarrios, thanks! I already know about 'goose grease!' ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, that is the post on the Saturn.

I have made no changes to the vehicle, everything is stock.

·
Super Moderator
21,793 Posts
bonk1313 said:
The dealership may work with you on this one.
This is worth your while to try out your dealer's customer loyalty! :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a very similar issue on my 2007 SLT2 but it was my passenger side DRL bulb. I have the HID headlights. My local dealer ended up having to replace the entire headlight assembly just to replace the burnt connector. When I went to pick it up they said they had a problem they wanted to talk to me about. Because the passenger headlight assembly had been replaced the headlights were no longer the same color. A call to the GM Tech Line by the service manager and they were instructed to replace the driver side assembly as well since the internal parts on the headlights had changed? I never got a straight answer on what changed but they illuded to cutoff shield for the HID bulb. I was pretty amazed and pleased to see that level of service. A one dollar bulb ended up costing GM about 1K. And we wonder why they were in so much financial trouble.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jqb0001 said:
I had a very similar issue on my 2007 SLT2 but it was my passenger side DRL bulb. I have the HID headlights. My local dealer ended up having to replace the entire headlight assembly just to replace the burnt connector. When I went to pick it up they said they had a problem they wanted to talk to me about. Because the passenger headlight assembly had been replaced the headlights were no longer the same color. A call to the GM Tech Line by the service manager and they were instructed to replace the driver side assembly as well since the internal parts on the headlights had changed? I never got a straight answer on what changed but they illuded to cutoff shield for the HID bulb. I was pretty amazed and pleased to see that level of service. A one dollar bulb ended up costing GM about 1K. And we wonder why they were in so much financial trouble.
True, but at least they ensured your vehicle was correct before they returned it to you; I'm sure there are dealers out there that would have replaced the one and called it good

·
Registered
359 Posts
speleos said:
carbon1, is this where you found the Outlook issue?

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=804.0

rbarrios, thanks! I already now about 'goose grease!' ;D
Yes, the harness and/or connector may be melted. This was replaced under warranty for my Outlook. It's a TSB, but if this is happening across the Lambda's and on more than just one model year, some people have had it occur more than once... sounds like it should be a safety recall. And that should extend into the out-of-warranty folks too.

I don't believe it's just the dielectric grease. Probably needs a whole redesign if you ask me. But that's just my humble opinion. I'm not an engineer.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Acadia Aficionado said:
True, but at least they ensured your vehicle was correct before they returned it to you; I'm sure there are dealers out there that would have replaced the one and called it good
:ditto:, Maybe this is the new GM, to take care of the 4 core ???.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue. H11 aftermarket bulb received @ 100 watts. Informed supplier that oem bulb was 55 watts. Supplier said "55w is old design. The one I sent 100w is upgrade version, they are compatible to your stock bulbs." Wire harness now melted. Why doesn't the fuse trip to prevent damage?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
5782 said:
I had the same issue. H11 aftermarket bulb received @ 100 watts. Informed supplier that oem bulb was 55 watts. Supplier said "55w is old design. The one I sent 100w is upgrade version, they are compatible to your stock bulbs." Wire harness now melted. Why doesn't the fuse trip to prevent damage?
How long after you installed the bulbs did the wiring harness melt. Your fuse didn't trip because the amps weren't high enough

1 - 20 of 258 Posts