GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing postings where people call the head up display the "heads up" display. I know it is picky on my part, but just as an FYI to all. The purpose of the device is to keep us from looking down, and thus keep our head up. If we had more than one head, then it would be a heads up display. :angel:

·
Registered
11 Posts
GAR said:
I keep seeing postings where people call the head up display the "heads up" display. I know it is picky on my part, but just as an FYI to all. The purpose of the device is to keep us from looking down, and thus keep our head up. If we had more than one head, then it would be a heads up display. :angel:
Wow, not enough to do?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DockMan said:
GAR said:
Wow, not enough to do?
Plenty to do. Just obsessive compulsive. Or AR as some would say. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the option was on only one Acadia, then it would be a "head up" display. Since there are several thousand Acadias with that option, it is appropriately called a "heads up" display as it is keeping several thousand heads looking up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I thought that they had taken the term from the fighter jets that employ the technology. These have been around for many years and I have always heard the term "heads-up-display". I really don't care which term is correct. I think that "heads-up" sounds cooler than "head-up". One of those incorrect items in the English language which will stay that way. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies for not putting in the hyphen. Dang. As AR as I am you would think I would not have missed that one. ;D

Back in the early 80s when I worked on the F15 flight simulators, it was head-up display. Here is an AF fact sheet with it referenced. http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=101

The option on the Acadia is "UV6 Head-Up Display". Thank goodness GM got it "right".

Finally, I agree that it is "One of those incorrect items in the English language which will stay that way." The fact is that if anyone says "heads-up" display in conversation, nobody will even think twice and everyone will know what they are talking about.

It's just one of those things my nature compelled me to make note of. Hopefully you can all forgive me for being AR and we can all down a few and laugh about it. :beer: :cheers:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny that GM got it right when they are single-handedly trying to get us all to spell "gauge" as "gage"!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gills said:
Funny that GM got it right when they are single-handedly trying to get us all to spell "gauge" as "gage"!
That is funny!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
GAR - pretty funny. I've been saying it wrong for a long time and didn't even have a clue! Oh well, at least the Acadia is a "head-turner".

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hunt - Thanks for making me laugh!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts