GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Acadia came with XM Radio which expires next month. I really don't use it enough to justify the monthly cost so I just purchased an HD radio from Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ePLATOlvyqD/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=186650&I=60744000 - $160 after rebate with free shipping right now) The three FM stations I listen to 99% of the time all broadcast in HD, so this seems like a good solution for me. I know I can plug it in the aux jack on the front of the radio or use the FM modulator but does anyone know if there is a way to plug it in directly, maybe even in place of the XM? I should have it by Monday, I'll let you know how the installation goes. Since the Acadia is new, Crutchfield doesn't have specific installation instructions. Has anyone posted directions about taking the console apart to get at the radio?

·
Registered
185 Posts
NY_Joe posted instructions to take off the trim in another thread:

1) You do not have to go through removing the whole console as showninthe video. I was scared to do it so i found alternate means. Starting at the top by the storage box insert a flathead screwdriver between the trim and the box. About an inch to the left of the button and pry it away. Grab the trim and do the sameon the right side. The top should now be popped out. Going down both sides just pulls it away evenly. The resistance you will feel are the metal tension clips on the trim.

The XM module is actually in the rear of the car on the left behind the car's jack along with some as yet undetermined electronics (I think it's the Onstar module and receiver for the keyfob). The Acadia uses a new protocol for communication so it is unlikely you will be able to swap HD in for FM or XM. The last gen protocal was Class-2. The new protocol used here in GM-Lan.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the console removal/installation videos here...

http://www.mediamax.com/rae0568

They were truly helpful. Thanks for the info and a huge thanks to rae0568, who created the video. This will certainly save me a lot of time.

Thanks again rae0568.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
jseck2 said:
I found the console removal/installation videos here...

http://www.mediamax.com/rae0568

They were truly helpful. Thanks for the info and a huge thanks to rae0568, who created the video. This will certainly save me a lot of time.

Thanks again rae0568.
those were great videos.

However,you do not need to remove the whole center console.

Like I said, at thetopyou can pry away and pull out fromthere.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the HD radio installed tonight and have a few things to report...

1. I have the base radio with XM. XM is definitely in a separate module and not in the radio (as others have reported) because it works with the antenna disconnected. Also there is only one antenna hookup to the back of the radio, labelled "FM- 75 ohm". So the XM module is located elsewhere, probably near the jack.

2. There is tons of room to mount amplifiers, subwoofers, etc. in the console under the radio, forward of the shifter. I assume but don't know for sure that this is where the Bose system components are located, so if you have the Bose, you may not have the space I do. This is where I put the HD module.

3. It was difficult finding a switched power connection. I searched this board and found the post about the pink wire near the right door. Sure enough, that was a good one but it required sending one wire under the dash to the right door.

4. I've still got some issues with noise. I think it may just be cheap cables. I'll see what I can do in the morning with it.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the results. Hopefully a trip to Radio Shack will solve my noisy cable problem. I took some pictures and will post them later, if I can figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
jseck2 said:
I got the HD radio installed tonight and have a few things to report...

1. I have the base radio with XM. XM is definitely in a separate module and not in the radio (as others have reported) because it works with the antenna disconnected. Also there is only one antenna hookup to the back of the radio, labelled "FM- 75 ohm". So the XM module is located elsewhere, probably near the jack.

2. There is tons of room to mount amplifiers, subwoofers, etc. in the console under the radio, forward of the shifter. I assume but don't know for sure that this is where the Bose system components are located, so if you have the Bose, you may not have the space I do. This is where I put the HD module.

3. It was difficult finding a switched power connection. I searched this board and found the post about the pink wire near the right door. Sure enough, that was a good one but it required sending one wire under the dash to the right door.

4. I've still got some issues with noise. I think it may just be cheap cables. I'll see what I can do in the morning with it.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the results. Hopefully a trip to Radio Shack will solve my noisy cable problem. I took some pictures and will post them later, if I can figure out how to do it.
Do you know if there is an input in the back of the standard radio to add the audio of a DVD player? thx.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fmesina said:
Do you know if there is an input in the back of the standard radio to add the audio of a DVD player? thx.
No, the only input is on the front of the radio (mini-jack), There is no input on the back.

Just an update on the HD radio...
I never solved the noise problem and wound up sending it back. Crutchfield was excellent, they sent me another unit to try out and when that had the same problem, I just sent them both back and got a full refund.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts