GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>:D If you have not I would suggest a quick look from under the passenger side. I did my first oil change and was shocked to see what looked like an oil leak. It was not enough to see any drops on the floor but, obvious enough to readily notice on my clean new engine. I have seen some posts that indicated a leak from the powersteering. I guess I will be making my first trip to the service center. :banghead:

·
Registered
956 Posts
What color is the oil? Power steering fluid will look and smell completly different than engine oil. If it is not power steering fluid and since you just changed the engine oil I would clean the affected area and see if the oil reappears. Might save a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
After looking at the position of the oil filter, it looks like we are going to have some problems in making a 'clean' change. You may be seeing some residual run off from when the filter was changed.

Has anyone taken off their plastic engine cover to see what's under it? I've never seen an intake manifold like this one. It even has an 'isolator diaper' wrapped around the manifold. I must get hotter than normal in our engine bays.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had my oil changed at firs by the dealer, but now I'm doing it mostly to save time. It is not any harder or dirtier than other cars I've owned. The ground clearance is a little though. You want to see a mess you should see my Toyota Tundra. The oil runs all over the chassis.

·
Registered
284 Posts
xseler said:
Has anyone taken off their plastic engine cover to see what's under it? I've never seen an intake manifold like this one. It even has an 'isolator diaper' wrapped around the manifold. I must get hotter than normal in our engine bays.
MANY manufacturers use the same thing, both for appearance, and for--especially in the case on the Lambdas--extra sound insulation properties to deaden even more engine noise. Taking it off will just show the "raw" engine & intake, but also get rid of the extra insulating properties it was designed to give.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Removing the intake insulation could possibly hurt the performance. I have not looked at the intake yet, but I wouldn't doubt that it is a thermoplastic material. If the engine bay is hot the insulation may keep the incoming air in the manifold from getting too hot and causing a performance loss. Just a guess. Engineers and the bean counters don't spend money on parts that aren't necessary.

·
Registered
812 Posts
can someone post pics of the manifold pls., so we can see what Xseler is talking about...

·
Registered
294 Posts
The cover is really easy to get off. All you have to do is remove the oil filler cap and then pull up on the cover. It has 3 attachment points that utilize rubber grommets to to hold the cover on. To replace the cover, just align the attachment pins with the grommets, push down, and replace the oil filler cap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
xseler said:
Efficiency is related to temperature. A cold running engine is nearly as bad as a hot running one. With all the CAD and design software being used to fine tune designs, i would not be surprised if the cowling is as important to temperature control as it is to sound deadening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no doubt it is a leak! It runs down the front of the engine. Which is facing tward the passenger side since it is transverse. I noticed it before I changed the oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts