GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe tire treads matter, but given the bulk of the Acadia, can it still hydroplane?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We did during Ike, but it was very easy to get it back under control and we felt very safe driving it around. Even in 45mph winds it stuck pretty well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
few weeks ago i was driving in I5 going to seattle and man, it was raining cats and dogs. there were several areas that accumulated water (puddles) and i was just breezing thru. i kept my speed at 75 mph. my acadia is still relatively new (5 months) so i say if the threads on the tires are still pretty good, the acadia will handle it nicely. but of course, its always better to be on the safe side. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
19inches said:
I believe tire treads matter, but given the bulk of the Acadia, can it still hydroplane?
Any vehicle can hydroplane irregardless of the weight. Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can dissipate. Water pressure in front of the wheel forces a wedge of water under the leading edge of the tire, causing it to lift from the road. The tire then skates on a sheet of water with little, if any, direct road contact, resulting in loss of control.The likelihood of hydroplaning increases with the speed of the vehicle and the depth of the water. Tread wear and underinflation also increase the risk for hydroplaning, as do wider tires. Narrower tires are less vulnerable to hydroplaning because the vehicle weight is distributed over a smaller rubber contact patch, resulting in a greater ability for the tires to press water to the sides, allowing tire contact with pavement.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning

·
Registered
659 Posts
Snoguy said:
Narrower tires are less vulnerable to hydroplaning because the vehicle weight is distributed over a smaller rubber contact patch, resulting in a greater ability for the tires to press water to the sides, allowing tire contact with pavement.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning
Not to pick nits, but the engineer in me seeks a bit of clarification on this. The contact patch of a narrower tire is not actually smaller, it is only narrower, but longer. Without getting into the physics of a pneumatic tires, if the weight of the vehicle, tire pressure, and general tire design are equal, tires of different widths will have exactly the same tire patch contact areas in square inches and the force to the ground (in psi) through any of those square inches will be exactly the same. The narrower contact patch will just be longer. There are two basic reasons why the narrow one will hydoplane less. One is that it encounters less water (to be cleared by the tread) to begin with, and also because the patch is longer in size it has more time (more travel in the circumference) to clear that water.

Again, not trying to be argumentitive, but I have read so many times on forums that narrow tires push down with more force. In the real world, people often put more air pressure in their low profile tires and that ultimately ends up with a truely smaller contact patch on the wider tire, the opposite of what some would guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First time we drove our new Acadia in a decent rain storm I was not impressed with the tires at all. Seemed to hydroplane quite a bit, esp with new tires and all. I wonder if it had anything to do with the highway being made of cement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My father-in-law has an Outlook and we're constantly making Acadia/Outlook comparisons. He mentioned just recently he wasn't too happy with the stock tires - because he has had at least one incident when he hydroplaned.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My other work "car" is a 140,000+ pound aircraft... and that will hydroplane no problem on 6 tires so you can bet the Acadia when pressed will hydroplane too. The 18 inch tires have been good to me (I got them specifically due to their superior rain and snow performance to the stock 19 inch tires) and I am satisfied with the car's performance in the rain so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been very happy with how little the acaida hydroplanes -even in very heavy rain and snow up here in the northeast. The tires seem to have enough lateral "channels" in them to expel the water and keep good contact with the road.

However, mine is just coming up on 34,000 miles, and the tires have not been rotated, so the front ones were approaching the wearbars....and I did feel it hydroplane on my last two trips in heavy rain.

So, I just had the front tires replaced with the same original tires ($200 ea at dealer, $244 at Towne Fair Tire Chain) and I expect it to be back to it's usual performance for the next 30k miles.

I also had one experience driving in the high speed lane in slushy snow where the car started to pitch toward the median....and I was amazed and impressed that the vehicle sensed the beginnings of a spin, the right two tires applied their brakes and it pulled itself right out of it without me touching the brakes. My minivan would have spun right out for sure.

So in my opinion this vehicle performs almost flawlessly with regard to not hydroplaning at 60-70 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To bring back an old topic. YES, I have just hydroplaned the hell out of my Acadia today. :-\

I was traveling home, about 4 hours away from home. Hit a little bit of heavy rain, the conditions were perfect for what happened, must have been raining there for a while. As I removed the cruise control to prepare for the bad weather, the car must have already been in a hydroplane. The front of the car slowly drifted left and then continued to spin counterclockwise. It performed a complete 360 on a 2 lane divided hwy. Luckily, there was an off ramp to our right, once the car almost completed this 360 spin, it slid into the grass between the hwy and off ramp then I was able to gain control in the wet grass (who knew). Once I got the car on the off ramp after taking the exciting version of a hwy exit. I noticed the engine had shut off from the obvious difficult steering and braking. I thought it was odd that the engine shut off/stalled in this situation. Is this a safety system? It seems as if breaking or steering might be important in a situation like this. ???

Once I restarted the engine, checked over the car and systems, everything was ok. We continued on the trip and noticed my traction control light coming on and off once we got back on the hwy. Must have been a very bad spot.

No cars were around, no trees, no guard rails and no telephone poles, it happened just before the bridge. So glad this happened where it did. The car was easy to regain control and seemed to handle the situation fairly well. My old suburban might not have ended in the same result.

·
Registered
88 Posts
:eek: More power to you folks. I am certainly not looking forward to it. I'd rather that it never happens in my case. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
when you began to spin and where in it-- any signs of stabilitrack kicking on?

I know the situation didnt lend itself to you paying attention to the DIC.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
You could hydroplane a tank under the right circumstances.
Any vehicle will hydroplane if the driver isn't paying attention to road conditions.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Question is, urbanburban91 - were you really 'hydroplaning,' or had you fallen victim to 'slippery when wet' road conditions. There is a difference.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
btw, it's a natural tendency for an engine to stall if your going in an opposite direction from what the gear selector is set - like in a spin. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
rbarrios said:
when you began to spin and where in it-- any signs of stabilitrack kicking on?

I know the situation didnt lend itself to you paying attention to the DIC.
I did not notice any notifications on the dash or HUD. I really wasn't really concerned about what the car was doing at the time, just where it was going and how I was going to stop it.

capecodacadia said:
You could hydroplane a tank under the right circumstances.
Any vehicle will hydroplane if the driver isn't paying attention to road conditions.
Yes it can. If i was distracted or not paying attention, I can only imagine how bad this could have turned out.

Speleos said:
Question is, urbanburban91 - were you really 'hydroplaning,' or had you fallen victim to 'slippery when wet' road conditions. There is a difference.
It certainly was not a hydroplane like I have experienced before in any other vehicle. The car felt like it simply disconnected from the road, just like on a large patch of black ice. Could have just been the the perfect condition for this situation. I am convinced it could have happened in any vehicle.

Speleos said:
btw, it's a natural tendency for an engine to stall if your going in an opposite direction from what the gear selector is set - like in a spin. :eek:
I was wondering if it stalled of just shut off. I can see it stalling in this situation.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
First off, let me begin by saying, I am very glad you and your passengers are safe.

Since you experienced the traction control light coming on and off once you got back on the highway, do you have plans to have the vehicle to the dealership to have this looked at?

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
8 Posts
GMC Customer Service said:
First off, let me begin by saying, I am very glad you and your passengers are safe.

Since you experienced the traction control light coming on and off once you got back on the highway, do you have plans to have the vehicle to the dealership to have this looked at?

Michelle, GMC Customer Service
I plan to call my dealer tomorrow AM.

The light came on and went off as traction control was being activated. It was still very slippery and traction control was working to gain traction. I do not feel this was a problem with the vehicle. I will call and drop off if necessary. Thank you, and we are very glad we are safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.