GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclave CXL owner looking to get help anywhere I can find it.

So I've read all that there is to read about the trailer brake provision not being connected on my tow packaged equipped Enclave. I've read in the owners manual that it needs to be done by the dealer, but Im a DIY kind of guy, and Im short of time. Last night I spent a few hours looking over the connections and was wondering of anyone can point me in the right direction to get the trailer brake working. I am planning on taking the car camping this weekend and need the reverse brake lockout working on my trailer and car.

I found a single unplugged connection in the right rear jack cubby hole, could this be what I need to connect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Lucas

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you have the tow package, it should be mostly ready to go.

The lights, blinkers/brakes & neutral work from the factory. (brown, yellow, green and white)

The book says the 12V does not work but it did on my car from the factory.

The reverse should work, however, some of the early ones do not (including mine). This required a trip to the dealer to fix.

The brake line is not connected. There is a separate wire that came with the car, One end plugs in under the dash, the other end is connected to your brake controller (which does not come with the car and must be purchased separately).

For a light duty trailer, all you need is a 7 way to 4 way converter. (Wal Mart stocks them for around $10)

For a trailer with electrically disabled surge brakes, you'll need the reverse circuit to work. (You can test it with a meter or light yourself) You'll probably also need a 7 way to 5 way converter.

For a trailer with electric brakes, you'll need to purchase a controller and set it up where you can reach it while driving. Your trailer might have a 7 way round or 5 way flat (so you may need a converter)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Have tow package... need help enabling Trailer brake provision HELP HELP HEL

jseck2 said:
If you have the tow package, it should be mostly ready to go.

The lights, blinkers/brakes & neutral work from the factory. (brown, yellow, green and white)

The book says the 12V does not work but it did on my car from the factory.

The reverse should work, however, some of the early ones do not (including mine). This required a trip to the dealer to fix.

The brake line is not connected. There is a separate wire that came with the car, One end plugs in under the dash, the other end is connected to your brake controller (which does not come with the car and must be purchased separately).

For a light duty trailer, all you need is a 7 way to 4 way converter. (Wal Mart stocks them for around $10)

For a trailer with electrically disabled surge brakes, you'll need the reverse circuit to work. (You can test it with a meter or light yourself) You'll probably also need a 7 way to 5 way converter.

For a trailer with electric brakes, you'll need to purchase a controller and set it up where you can reach it while driving. Your trailer might have a 7 way round or 5 way flat (so you may need a converter)
This all does help, but where do I find the reverse circuit wire that I connect so the brakes dont engage in reverse. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now to get the last few items resolved and I'll do it myself!

Thanks in advance

Lucas

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Have tow package... need help enabling Trailer brake provision HELP HELP HEL

Below is the info about the reverse wire. I looked at mine and was tempted to do it, but i'm not planning on towing anything with surge brakes or have a need for backup lights. But i may try it soon, but will probably talk to a friend at the dealership first and see if i can get them to do it.

Towing a Trailer with a Vehicle with Trailer Provisions (RPO V92)
The following procedure may need to be performed to the backup lamp circuit. Perform this procedure only if the customer will be using the vehicle to tow.
1. Disconnect the X7 connector from the Body Control Module (BCM).
2. Remove the terminal for pin 3 from the BCM X7 connector. The wire to this terminal is dark blue and is the 38 circuit.
3. Re-connect the X7 connector to the BCM.
4. Cut the terminal off the end of this wire and strip the end of the wire.
5. Splice this wire into the 24 circuit wire that goes into BCM connector X6, pin 2. The 24 circuit is light green.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Since yours is an '08, it is likely the backup circuit works. It's only the early '07's that have the problem, as far as I know. Just check it with a light or meter. Place it between the backup blade on the 7 way lug and the neutral blade (orange to white). With the car in drive, it should read 0 volts or the light is out. With the car in reverse (parking brake on!), it should read 12+ volts or the light is on.

Below is a picture of the connector and the lugs.

Now the next issue. You probably need a 5 way flat connector. They sell an adaptor for this but it may be wired for the 5th pin to connect to the brake lug instead of the reverse. You may need to modify the 7 way lug or the adaptor to relocate the reverse to the brake lug, so you are getting the right signal on the 5th pin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jseck2 said:
Since yours is an '08, it is likely the backup circuit works. It's only the early '07's that have the problem, as far as I know.
I have an 08, built in 9/07 that doesn't work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts