GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're in love with your Acadia I'm sorry to break this to you. I too was in love with mine when I first bought it in 2008, bu that love has turned into a nightmare.

It won't ever end! I've now had many of the issues mentioned in this forum plus several more. Unfortunately, I thought that after the dealership addressed these issues while the Acadia was under warranty that the issues would be resolved and I could rest easy. After the 100,000 mile warranty was up the issues started reappearing, only now I had to start paying to fix them myself. When my transmission failed at 120k miles I actually had to park my Acadia for 4 months because I didn't have the $4,500 to get it fixed.

Often times when I turn the Acadia off and take out the key the engine continues to run, and run, and run. I finally figured out that if I open the hood and start pulling fuses I can get the engine to turn itself off. Of course my GMC dealer says they've never heard of such a thing. They also acted surprised when the power steering needed to be replaced, and when the timing belt/chain needed to be repaired (took 2 weeks), and when the sunroof was leaking and pouring water into the inside of the Acadia, and when the water pump failed & the Acadia shut down on a cold rainy night in the middle of nowhere, and when the battery kept shorting itself out and I went through 3 batteries in a week.

On top of all that... now my water pump needs to be replaced again and the dealer won't cover it because they only warranty their repairs for 12 months... and the last time they replaced it was 15 months ago. :angryfire:

If you have an Acadia sell it now and save yourself from the nightmares to come! :banghead:

·
Registered
117 Posts
OMG--I guess, if there is a positive side, you got 120k miles out of that thing... :banghead:

Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We're in the same boat. Probably the best riding vehicle I've ever owned, but mechanically it's terrible. We have an '07. I will NEVER buy the first model year of anything ever again.

The certified pre-owned warranty was a big seller or us. But we did roughly $9000 during that time. And we weren't even being "whiny", it was all stuff that needed to be fixed. Wave plate, transmission housing, 3 axles, all axle seals, front cover, water pump, timing chain, etc. It's still making an "knocking" noise when put into gear for the first time after being off. They never were able to pinpoint/fix that DURING the warranty.

And now, the CPO warranty is up. Of course it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not selling ours. It's a 2007 and has run great for us so far. We love it. Currently have 82,000 miles on it. Water pump went at around 50,000 but that was covered under warranty. Brakes and sway bar end links needed replacement about that same time and did that myself. That's it. We must really be lucky ::)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have been really lucky, for now. But when the warranty is over and the transmission fails, or any of the other failures the Acadia is known for start happening. Don't say we didn't warn you. Hopefully you'll be the rare exception to the rule. But unfortunately, that would be very rare.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A guy at work had his Civic transmission fail at 120K. Everyone sell their Civic. ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the steering column replaced around 40K miles. The sunroof gasket was replaced around 55K miles, since it was causing a horrible rattling noise. I replaced the pads and rotors around 58K, and it looked like they had been replaced before, since the torx screw that holds the rotors on was missing. I agree that the Acadia has some quality problems, especially with the steering column and timing chains, but a lot of the stuff seems like it could be prevented with common sense maintenance. 100K for transmission fluid changes? Come on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
A guy at work had his Civic transmission fail at 120K. Everyone sell their Civic. ;D
Hahaha :thumb:

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
acadias_r_junk,
there's a reason why GM went bankrupt, its because they manufacture crap. That hasn't changed as of the '12 model year either.
People buy Acadia because they don't want the behemoth size SUVs, they have lots of bells and whistles, and they're CHEAP
compared to decent SUVs. Your car or situation are not unique. Quality control will never again be associated with GM until the unions
are tossed and people are hired to design and build cars based on quality, not on job protection. My 08 was bought as a CPO, its cost
GM at least 6 large since then. But I bought it really cheap, its warrantied, and I consider it a 'throw away' if it becomes a PITA after
the warranties are up. You get what you pay for from a company that I wouldn't trust to make a toaster. And anyone who thinks their
Acadia is the 'gem', the one-in-a-million car? heh heh heh.... your day is coming.... Its not 'if' it will fail, its 'when'. I love my car, I think
Have Blue is the nicest thing on wheels. But I know, I *KNOW* its a SBW.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
capecodacadia said:
acadias_r_junk,
there's a reason why GM went bankrupt, its because they manufacture crap. That hasn't changed as of the '12 model year either.
People buy Acadia because they don't want the behemoth size SUVs, they have lots of bells and whistles, and they're CHEAP
compared to decent SUVs. Your car or situation are not unique. Quality control will never again be associated with GM until the unions
are tossed and people are hired to design and build cars based on quality, not on job protection. My 08 was bought as a CPO, its cost
GM at least 6 large since then. But I bought it really cheap, its warrantied, and I consider it a 'throw away' if it becomes a PITA after
the warranties are up. You get what you pay for from a company that I wouldn't trust to make a toaster. And anyone who thinks their
Acadia is the 'gem', the one-in-a-million car? heh heh heh.... your day is coming.... Its not 'if' it will fail, its 'when'. I love my car, I think
Have Blue is the nicest thing on wheels. But I know, I *KNOW* its a SBW.
Oh, you'll make a lot of friends with this post ::)

I do not disagree with most of it :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not sure I can completely agree with you capecod. Well, I guess it depends on what you consider a "decent" SUV. For my wife and I we had decided it was either the Acadia or an Acura MDX. The only was the MDX looses is interior space. There's no way adults can fit in the 3rd row, period. Otherwise its superior in every way and would have only cost maybe $2k more for a vehicle with tons more features than our Acadia. If we had ordered NAV the prices would have been nearly identical.

But I definitely agree unions need to be tossed. I don't see the non-union employees and Honda/Mercedes/BMW plants crying for higher wages, etc. They're simply antiquated relics of the past.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hmmm, so you come on here with your FIRST EVER post and spew this BS. I call LIAR and really wonder how much a GM competitor is paying you to post this bull. The mods should delete your thread, because it's obvious you have an agenda and are LYING!

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Sure I got rid of my 07 Outlook, main reason the darn sunroof leaks.

I did get back into a GM, a 11 Enclave and just over 17,000 miles on it and loving it more each day.

In October drove to NJ/NYC up through Connecticut and stayed at a B&B in Rhode Island. It ran like a top and handled great, even through the bumper to bumper traffic in and around NYC. The Holland Tunnel....sure happy husband was driving that leg of the trip.

Am I sorry that I am back in a GM nope. Have an 03 Saturn in the drive way, sure I spent some bucks on it the last 12 months but the plan is to drive it until the wheels fall off as it still looks like new.

There are more members who LOVE their Acadia/Lambda's then those who do not. Like I have said in the past if you hate GM so much then sell it and get your butt into a foreign car. Toyota or Honda....oops...yea they have problems with their makes as well.

No automobile is perfect and if you believe they should be....you are living in a dream world and not in reality.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The long posts about how acadias are such junk do get annoying after awhile...

·
Registered
325 Posts
The problem with forums is that they are set up for people to get assistance with problems so almost all the posts are about those problems. For every Lambda that has a problem there are probably a hundred or more that are not having problems, including my 09 Traverse. Most owners don't post about how pleasant and troublefree their last trip to the grocery store was. Who would want to read that? Bring on the death and doom that is leading GM to complete failure.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Absolutely agree Bayner. If what I read about in this forum applied to even 30% of Acadia owners there's no way I would have bought one. Clearly these cars have their problems but I know they're better than VAG products :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
vogelm1 said:
Not selling ours. It's a 2007 and has run great for us so far. We love it. Currently have 82,000 miles on it. Water pump went at around 50,000 but that was covered under warranty. Brakes and sway bar end links needed replacement about that same time and did that myself. That's it. We must really be lucky ::)
We hav an '07 and love it too.

·
Registered
677 Posts
klah2u said:
We hav an '07 and love it too.
As a bang on every piece of wood i can find, I have an 08 and have not had any major issues either. I have 112K and have replaced struts, shocks, brakes, end links , sway bar bushings.... I think that is it... not a bad list for a heavy truck. I am very good about using the best fluids and changing them often

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the post that said if you think you can drive a vehicle and not have problems, you are in a fantasy world. It doesn't matter what brand, the dealerships bays are full.. Face reality. It's a machine. It will break. Some sooner some later.
Cape Cod blaming the UAW for her problems, is way out in far right field. Your boy lost the election...get over it
I am also with the person that said, If you don't like your vehicle, buy something else!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts