GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife came home yesterday with water POURING out of the rear lights in the headliner. Not dripping, but pouring - I had to put a bucket under it. We had the sunroof drain tubes fixed under warranty last August because water was leaking out the passenger seatbelt area. Car has 47K miles on it. I called this morning to schedule an appointment. I know there has been a water leak problem with '07 Acadias, but I was told that unless the leak is directly related to the recall (that I supposedly have had fixed) that it would be a non-warranty issue. I even have the extended warranty, but was told that normally does not cover water leaks. It's going in tomorrow, and maybe everything will work out, but right now I'm a little steamed. I'm sorry, but that should not happen, regardless that the car has 47K miles. I understand mechanical things wearing out, but a major water leak???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
As prevalent as this problem seems to be, I would think GM and/or your dealer would want to take care of this without you having to pay for it. It definitely is a design flaw beyond just the drain tube system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
No chance you should have to pay for that. Of course the extended warranties NEVER EVER COVER ANYTHING that goes wrong. Incredible - that is a scam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
mikemu said:
No chance you should have to pay for that. Of course the extended warranties NEVER EVER COVER ANYTHING that goes wrong. Incredible - that is a scam.
Some of them are pretty good. GM Protection Plan covers ALOT, so does National Warranty. Dunno about water leaks, but I have sold hundreds of transmissions to extended warranties over the years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
I hear more frequently about problems that are NOT covered than those that are. Bad investment any way you look at it. The actuaries have already done the math so the consumer will rarely win.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Water usually isn't covered under the extended warranty.

I would hope that since you got the recall done, and are still having issues that they will do the right thing, but sometimes you know that won't be the case with the Stealership.

If they refuse to cover under warranty or the goodwill. I would complete the work and pay for it, and file for reimbursement through GM customer service, or a lawyer.

take a look at the topic about the sunroof leaking, the last few pages discuss other HOLES that have been found that are likely candidates for the cause of the leak
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4311.0

mikemu said:
I hear more frequently about problems that are NOT covered than those that are. Bad investment any way you look at it. The actuaries have already done the math so the consumer will rarely win.
I have had a transmission replaced on car under the extended warranty, well worth the purchase. Another car of mine had some items that were covered under extened warranty also, but some that weren't. I would say that I have won on the warranty stuff..
Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. I would rather buy a warranty and not need it, then need it and not have it. But understand how annoying it is for them to say "well we found the problem to be XYZ, but the extended warranty says that is not covered" that is just as bad as "unable to duplicate the problem" :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
My inlaws had an electrical problem with a Toyota Avalon - you know the brand that never never needs repairs. $1,500 later, the problem was corrected and NOT COVERED by the extended warranty. They claimed the failure was due to neglect of some sort. Perhaps they didn't cover it because Toyotas never break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for replying so soon about my concern!! I'm pretty sure that it will work out. I read the TSB that says that the whole headliner was to have been dropped during the recall. I pulled my paperwork and it only shows that the passenger side door trim was removed during the repair. Hopefully this time they will perform the whole recall!! As far as the extended warranty goes - I tend to agree that they are usually a waste of money, but in this case I was worried because we bought the first model year of the Acadia. I've already received a new power steering pump out of the extended warranty. Hmmmm, if the deals are out there maybe it's time to just trade it in for a '09. I think the water leak problems are fixed on those, right?? Love the car, but yeah, we've some issues with it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
sss_tacoma said:
Thanks to everyone for replying so soon about my concern!! I'm pretty sure that it will work out. I read the TSB that says that the whole headliner was to have been dropped during the recall. I pulled my paperwork and it only shows that the passenger side door trim was removed during the repair. Hopefully this time they will perform the whole recall!! As far as the extended warranty goes - I tend to agree that they are usually a waste of money, but in this case I was worried because we bought the first model year of the Acadia. I've already received a new power steering pump out of the extended warranty. Hmmmm, if the deals are out there maybe it's time to just trade it in for a '09. I think the water leak problems are fixed on those, right?? Love the car, but yeah, we've some issues with it!!
Got rid of my 07 on Saturday and got an 09. Read...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5715.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
mikemu said:
I hear more frequently about problems that are NOT covered than those that are. Bad investment any way you look at it. The actuaries have already done the math so the consumer will rarely win.
Can also be dependant on the relationship the dealership has with the warranty company. For example my dealer sells a TON of these warranties, so we almost never have a problem getting something covered that should be. Most of them are set up to cover mechanical and electrical problems with the car, so stuff that has to do with say interior trim is usually not covered.

As long as purchase GM vehicles, I'll be getting some sort of extended warranty. Of course... it costs me less than most people...so I can see where someone might have a problem with forking over $2k or whatever, but at the same time, you bring your car in, tell the service advisor you have a contract that is close to expiring, and you think you hear a clunk when shifting... You'll get your money out of it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
I don't have an issue with the concept of purchasing an extended warranty given the outrageous cost of repairs these days. It's the "its not covered" approach that burns me up and that's usually their first line of defense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
sss_tacoma said:
My wife came home yesterday with water POURING out of the rear lights in the headliner. Not dripping, but pouring - I had to put a bucket under it. We had the sunroof drain tubes fixed under warranty last August because water was leaking out the passenger seatbelt area. Car has 47K miles on it. I called this morning to schedule an appointment. I know there has been a water leak problem with '07 Acadias, but I was told that unless the leak is directly related to the recall (that I supposedly have had fixed) that it would be a non-warranty issue. I even have the extended warranty, but was told that normally does not cover water leaks. It's going in tomorrow, and maybe everything will work out, but right now I'm a little steamed. I'm sorry, but that should not happen, regardless that the car has 47K miles. I understand mechanical things wearing out, but a major water leak???
Once again....we have another member with the leak issue. GM SHOULD cover this leak regardless....water should not pour into the vehicle via the sunroof PERIOD. GeoHawk is absolutely correct in stating that this is a design flaw that goes beyond the drain tube extension recall....GM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM --
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Serious Acadia Leaking

We bought our 2008 Acadia in October 2007. In October 2008 it started leaking under the glove compartment and then from the rear lights. It went to the dealer 3 weeks ago after the 3rd leak and they were unable to get it to leak again after 45 min of a "high pressure" hose. The car has smelled musty for months and just yesterday..yes..it leaked from the lights again. We have a file with GMC..I talk to them regularly and it goes again next week for a "final evaluation" before they pursue potentially doing a buyback. I have 3 yr old with asthma and mold in this 40k car is less than cool.

Seriously..they owe me a new car but I can tell that is somewhat unlikely. Any advice?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Some members have had successful buybacks so the possibility is there. Hopefully everything related to the leak is documented otherwise your chances aren't too good IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a followup to my original post on this thread. Someone here made reference to the 2 small holes under the rear sunroof glass. Yep, we have them, and the silicone had come off. Took care of the problem under a "goodwill" warranty. We had one more really hard rainstorm and took it through the car wash. No leaks, yeah!!

Well, I will probably have a new thread started shortly. The darn thing is in the shop again!!! This time it's a transmission. Haven't yet heard what exactly is out, but I do know it's mechanical. The tranny is torn apart right now - should know more tomorrow. My wife and I still want to love the Acadia, but I think that love is starting to die (unfortunately)!! Would consider trading it in for a '09 of the trade value was right, but I don't see that happening.

Wish us luck!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
sss_tacoma said:
Just a followup to my original post on this thread. Someone here made reference to the 2 small holes under the rear sunroof glass. Yep, we have them, and the silicone had come off. Took care of the problem under a "goodwill" warranty. We had one more really hard rainstorm and took it through the car wash. No leaks, yeah!!

Well, I will probably have a new thread started shortly. The darn thing is in the shop again!!! This time it's a transmission. Haven't yet heard what exactly is out, but I do know it's mechanical. The tranny is torn apart right now - should know more tomorrow. My wife and I still want to love the Acadia, but I think that love is starting to die (unfortunately)!! Would consider trading it in for a '09 of the trade value was right, but I don't see that happening.

Wish us luck!!
So you have the two holes and they were siliconed over? Meaning that the manufacturer knew these holes were there and sealed them over; I just wonder how or why they are there in the first place; its seems obvious that this is a manufacturing mistake since they were covered and serve no purpose. Interesting and I hope that everything turns out well for you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
jsimms said:
So you have the two holes and they were siliconed over? Meaning that the manufacturer knew these holes were there and sealed them over; I just wonder how or why they are there in the first place; its seems obvious that this is a manufacturing mistake since they were covered and serve no purpose. Interesting and I hope that everything turns out well for you
cant say for sure but someone mentioned the holes were stamped in the body in that area because the 2nd moonroof was actually suppose to be designed to be a pop up, but that didn't happen.
This was mentioned a while back in another sunroof leak thread by a gm technician if I remember correctly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
You guys have me worried that my sunroof will leak on me. So far *knock on wood* no leaks. I park mine in a garage for most of the day, but on days when it is out with a good hard steady rain no leaks. I hope if it does happen that it happens while im still under warranty. I did buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase only because I drive a lot of miles and 36k miles would be up in about two years.

BTW the build date of the car was 6/31/08 (In that ballpark). Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top