GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some day maybe GMC will realize its been a few decades since wood grain was cool, or at least offer an option, but until then....has anyone done anything to get rid of or cover it? I am looking at a 2021 Elevation Edition in the next week, and with everything all blacked out the wood grain looks silly. I did look at the interior of an AT4, and that trim looks so much better. I'll probably also look at finding myself a set of black Traverse or Blazer wheels, since all the GMC wheel options look ridiculous to me, but thats a future thread

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
A few members have vinyl wrapped interior items they didn't like. Some even went with a pattern which was borderline bizarre. You'll have the option to do that, too. Maybe a zebra stripe, polka dot, or carbon fiber mesh would be to your liking. Here's one somebody did to the steering wheel and center stack of an older Acadia:
1619536997011.png

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Some day maybe GMC will realize its been a few decades since wood grain was cool, or at least offer an option, but until then....has anyone done anything to get rid of or cover it? I am looking at a 2021 Elevation Edition in the next week, and with everything all blacked out the wood grain looks silly. I did look at the interior of an AT4, and that trim looks so much better. I'll probably also look at finding myself a set of black Traverse or Blazer wheels, since all the GMC wheel options look ridiculous to me, but thats a future thread
Vinyl wrap is about hr most popular choice and the "carbon fiber" look is often one I've seen people do on other automotive forums.

One reason we opted for and SLT in 2019 was we liked both the interior and exterior color options for the Acadia. Maybe something along those lines would appeal.

You could even look at replacing the Denali trim pieces with one from another trim level. More cost, but some have done it on other vehicles.

2017-GMC-Acadia-142.jpg

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I feel your pain. Honestly, one of the main things I didn't like when getting my '19 was the wood grain interior trim.
So... I bring it to work the day after purchase, co-worker checks it out "wow, nice wood grain". Really Don!? He was around 25 at the time.
Mine has silver and wood grain, which is even worse if that's possible. The silver is nice and modern, then they stick the wood grain right along with it.
20210427_140305.jpg
How difficulty is it to DIY vinyl wrap?
What brand is good?
I'm no carbon fiber fan-boy, but I think any other finish wouldn't look right (needs some contrast from existing trim, as perfect will never happen and might be too much), unless somebody has a thought.
Not stealing your post OP, just opening more options with my additional questions. At least that's my best excuse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not stealing your post OP, just opening more options with my additional questions. At least that's my best excuse.
Its all good. I'm interested to see anything people have tried. I have had good luck with vvivid brand vinyl before, but I've always been doing fairly simple shapes like Chevy bowties. My nieces make me change the color of their bowties all the time. One has leopard print on the front of her car now. The key is a little heat. A heat gun softens it right up, but I've still had problems with any complex shapes.

Do the woodgrain panels pop off easily? Swapping them for Denali or AT4 trim would be great if they come off within reason. Then I could start prowling the junkyards for pieces

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Do the woodgrain panels pop off easily? Swapping them for Denali or AT4 trim would be great if they come off within reason. Then I could start prowling the junkyards for pieces
Will keep the Vvivid brand (and heat) in mind if I end up DIY'g this, thanks. Unlikely I'd pay someone, as it'll likely run around $400-500 I would imagine, not worth it at that point.
You must show the leopard print! My wife would probably want some for her Rogue.
What interior trim do the Denali and AT4 have? TBH, unless the previous years (17-19) dash trim fit, you might have a hard time finding stuff for a '20-21 at the junk yards. Yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will keep the Vvivid brand (and heat) in mind if I end up DIY'g this, thanks. Unlikely I'd pay someone, as it'll likely run around $400-500 I would imagine, not worth it at that point.
You must show the leopard print! My wife would probably want some for her Rogue.
What interior trim do the Denali and AT4 have? TBH, unless the previous years (17-19) dash trim fit, you might have a hard time finding stuff for a '20-21 at the junk yards. Yet.
I'm not sure which Denali have which trim, but I have seen some that are a dark gray/black woodgrain which looks ok. My Brother-In-Laws '19 Sierra Elevation has the same gray black, and it is at least tolerable. The AT4 has carbon fiber where the rest have wood. It looks nice. Yes, I imagine it will take a couple years before there are many AT4 at the junkyard. Maybe I can find an old man with an AT4 that likes the look of wood. Doubtful

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
... Maybe I can find an old man with an AT4 that likes the look of wood. Doubtful
You could also go 'dumpster diving' at some body shop where the old man who wrecked his AT4 is getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'm an old man (well, 57), don't like it much. LOL

Reactions: Gmcde3

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking in this too with my 17 Acadia Denali which has the light interior but the wood grain is not great on it. So I am thinking of going with a darker wood look or just darker brown look to match the dash which is cocoa just not sure where to get the vinyl from. I almost bought the oem trims which would be around $100 for brown for the doors front and back but they no longer make the center console so I can not match it. I have been dumpster diving but no luck yet on that.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That's not a bad price at all! Probably cheaper than getting it vinyl wrapped I bet. But no center console parts available, that's too bad. How about the PS dash piece?
20210427_140305.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's not a bad price at all! Probably cheaper than getting it vinyl wrapped I bet. But no center console parts available, that's too bad. How about the PS dash piece? View attachment 11043
That part was also a little more at close to $200 on sale so that brought me to deciding vinyl which will probably be way I’ll go. I just don’t want any cheap looking vinyl and make my interior worst.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts