GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says....was wondering if anyone has added the factory XM to a radio that doesn't have it. Have a mobile unit that the wife won't let me mount cuz she thinks it looks bad...so factory it is. I'm assuming it can be done. Does it involve just plugging up the XM module or is it more involved than that?

TIA

JB

·
Registered
19 Posts
XM cannot be added using any GM parts. I have already gone down that road. I bought the satellite receiver and antenna only to find out that GM will not be offering a harness for it. Now I have $170 of useless parts that cannot be returned. I knew the risk prior to ordering them, but thought for sure that GM would come out with a harness.

I just ordered a direct XM receiver kit and I'll let you know how it works. Supposedly it works exactly like the factory system.

Well see....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please report your findings on this. I'm the one that's pushing this issue. I can't stand the stations around here and if we do more travelling then I definately want it. Let me know how it works out.

JB

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tralr8d4x4 said:
Please report your findings on this. I'm the one that's pushing this issue. I can't stand the stations around here and if we do more travelling then I definately want it.
I didn't realize just how great sat radio is until I got my Acadia. I am totally hooked and will NEVER go back to FM at all! I took advantage of the promo code floating within this website and re-upped for $77/yr. Took it one step further and added XM to my '99 Mercedes C280 by purchasing the Delphi Roady XT (check ebay for best deals) at $7 per mo. Last but not least, when the Mercedes sits idle in my driveway, I can pop out the Roady unit and bring it in the house. The home kits run about $18-$20 per. I bought 2 of 'em for different rooms in my house. I understand that it also streams thru your PC as part of the monthly charge.

Got to admit that the XM sounds better in my 99 Benz than it does in the Acadia. Granted the confines are smaller in the Benz, but the Bose speakers in the Benz (thru a Panasonic aftermarket deck) have crisper highs and lower lows. By comparison, the Acadia's Bose speakers sound a bit muted and slightly muddy.

Long story short, there are many options available to you with XM sat radio. Enjoy!

NNJ Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tralr8d4x4 said:
Just like the title says....was wondering if anyone has added the factory XM to a radio that doesn't have it. Have a mobile unit that the wife won't let me mount cuz she thinks it looks bad...so factory it is. I'm assuming it can be done. Does it involve just plugging up the XM module or is it more involved than that?

TIA

JB
You can get the wiring harness from Crutchfield for about $80.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts