GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum but have not found anyone that has tried to add a USB port to the O/H console.

Want to mount a dash cam to the top of the windshield and prefer not to have a cord swinging in the breeze. I am hoping that I could tap the sunroof power in the hopes of avoiding any BUS issues.

Any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I assume the camera is powered through the USB port? There are kits available to convert the USB cable to hard wired. When I installed the dash cam in my Mustang, I ran the power wire and the data cable for the rear camera through the front edge of the headliner and down the A-pillar trim panels.

I know that wasn't exactly your question, but it may be an option.

·
Registered
2015 Acadia SLT-1
1 Posts
I dissected the cigar lighter of the cable that came with my dashcam and soldered wires onto the 12v input.

The only ignition switched power in that area that I could find comes from the BCM and I got myself into trouble using it to power my camera. I'm guessing that source doesn't have the ampacity to power additional devices?

I ended up using t-taps on the backside of the USB port near the shifter and running the cable up the A-pillar. It wasn't as difficult as I thought and I wish I took this route in the first place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Somewhat off topic but it would be nice to be able to utilize the existing front (if equipped) & the rear cameras already on the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts