GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took extended family up to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday, and the Acadia performed admirably in most areas, got seven adults, one child and quite an amount of picnic supplies and gear into it, had to be at least 1,250 lbs counting myself; gained nearly 2,500 feet in altitude going up, and still managed 18.6 mpg on a 173 mile round trip. Smooth ride, everybody was comfortable. The "L" feature on the transmission was very handy on all the steep grades and sharp switchback curves, both uphill and downhill.

But, I experienced something that was very disconcerting, and from the sound of it, could be serious. Going slightly uphill, around 35 mph, braking into a sharp, lefthand curve, there was a loud "bbbrraaacckkk" noise and a vibration out of the right front suspension that could be felt throughout the whole vehicle. My passengers thought I'd ran over something large and it was dragging underneath. This lasted for about two seconds. What is it, Stabilitrak? Something with the strut tower? The steering rack? I didn't experience any change in steering feel. It was too strong of a shudder to be Stabilitrak alone, in my opinion. I did experience what felt like antilock brakes going off, on that same wheel, under similar conditions about thirty minutes later, but it wasn't the same. I know what antilock brakes feel like, you feel it through the brake pedal, not the entire structure of the car, and the sound is more subtle and sort of staccato, not that loud metallic noise.

I'm taking it back to the dealer to have it looked at; it scared me a little, especially with so many people in the car.

Any ideas, similar experiences, fixes that the membership of this forum is aware?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem several times. It happened to me while I was driving alone. As I drove it today it seems to have an alignment problem now too. I have only had the car for three weeks. I haven't hit any curbs/holes to mess up the allignment....
The last time it happened (stabilitrak issue), the car drifted into the other lane as it braked. The first-time it happened I thought I ran over something too. I checked some other posts and it seems to be a problem under "stabilitrak". There is somemore info. there that may help you. My car is at the dealer now (10\10\07). I'll advise on progress.

:mad: Returned from dealer w/out diagnosis. No falts/errors on computer. I was unable to duplicate the problem with the tech. in the car. Seems to be on curvy roads while braking. Hopefully others will have better luck/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts