GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Check engine light is on again. Code P0496. I've had the purge valve replaced twice in the last couple months. Once replaced, the check engine light disappears for about 3 weeks, comes back on, and they have to replace the purge valve again. There's got to be something else going on. I'm taking it back in on Tuesday for another purge valve replacement.

Car also started very hard after filling with gas today; I didn't think it was going to start but then it did. I want to state, I have never capped off the gas. I learned years ago, once you hear the click to stop.

Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
You should have someone fully check out operation of the EVAP system.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Maybe the evap canister is contaminated. And, isn't there another valve on or near the canister?

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Could also be the canister is plugged or other problems. A complete diagnosis will require a scan tool and someone with knowledge about how to use it. This link contains some good info about it: P0496 EVAP Flow During Non-Purge Condition

Reactions: divotdug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help! Check engine light is on again. Code P0496. I've had the purge valve replaced twice in the last couple months. Once replaced, the check engine light disappears for about 3 weeks, comes back on, and they have to replace the purge valve again. There's got to be something else going on. I'm taking it back in on Tuesday for another purge valve replacement.

Car also started very hard after filling with gas today; I didn't think it was going to start but then it did. I want to state, I have never capped off the gas. I learned years ago, once you hear the click to stop.

Anyone have a similar issue?
I had the issue and I believe it was the purge valve that when it fails allows vapor that is generated in the fill to enter into the throttle body during fill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could also be the canister is plugged or other problems. A complete diagnosis will require a scan tool and someone with knowledge about how to use it. This link contains some good info about it: P0496 EVAP Flow During Non-Purge Condition
Canister plugged would make it difficult to fill without premature shutoff, the canister vent valve on the canister is normally open and closed for leak test If that failed closed it would also make it hard to fill. Both would not create the hard start issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts