GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have decided to pull the timing cover and the head. I have to know if the valves on cylinder #6 are bent or not, if the lower chain is tight, and that the engine is timed correctly. The Acadia ran like it had 3 dead cylinders not one. I had a honda odyssey with one burnt valve and it had a hard miss. But, it had way more power than the Acadia.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I have decided to pull the timing cover and the head. I have to know if the valves on cylinder #6 are bent or not, if the lower chain is tight, and that the engine is timed correctly. The Acadia ran like it had 3 dead cylinders not one. I had a honda odyssey with one burnt valve and it had a hard miss. But, it had way more power than the Acadia.
You'll also have an opportunity to look at the valve seats. Hope the cylinder head is salvageable. It might not be if the valve was slammed into the seat at an odd angle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The SUV has 149000 miles and I don't know the history. I am going to check the timing chains, guides, tensioners, etc. I thought about just scoping cylinder 6 and buying the tools to replace the valve spring from the top. But, decided it won't be that much more work to pull the head after I pull the front cover.
I may regret this if I find no problems with timing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I had a little good news today. Put the crankshaft at the stage 1 timing mark position and checked the number of links between the r and l marks on the cam gears . Both sides were 12 links between marks. Also, my cam holding tools go on the ends of the cams. So, I think my timing is Ok. The chains and guides are worn though and need replacement. I hope to pull the head tomorrow and inspect cylinder 6.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
interesting thread- thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
New chains, new guides, and new tensioners installed. Used melling video. All marks aligned. Need some info on checking the tensioners before I rotate the engine a couple times for check out.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts