GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Our 2020 SLE has the hands free lift gate with a "GMC Logo" puddle light on the drivers side to show you where to swipe your foot. Does not work 100% of the time but most of the time it does.

9 speed transmission on ours is very smooth.
Do you or anyone with the 2020 hands free have a problem with it opening by just walking by the side of the vehicle? I turned it off in settings because if this. Probably will bring it up on my next oil change. But seems like a safety issue.

(mod edit - started new thread in Technical Discussions)

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
Do you or anyone with the 2020 hands free have a problem with it opening by just walking by the side of the vehicle? I turned it off in settings because if this. Probably will bring it up on my next oil change. But seems like a safety issue.
Strange occurrence! Mine works fine. It's not supposed to activate until your foot is kicked ~6 inches from the sensor. Hope you can duplicate the condition at the service center. Let us know what they find that causes this condition.

·
Registered
2020 Acadia, SLE, V6 w/trailering package
28 Posts
Ours has not ever opened on its own. The puddle light does come on seeming on its own some times but probably just senses the key near by.

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
Ours has not ever opened on its own. The puddle light does come on seeming on its own some times but probably just senses the key near by.
Seems the puddle light illuminates when the RKE transmitter (fob) comes within a distance from the vehicle ~15-20 ft. away - well before the kick sensor is 'active and ready' for input. The kick sensor isn't supposed to operate the liftgate until the fob is ~3 ft. away from the sensor's receiver.

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
Seems the puddle light illuminates when the RKE transmitter (fob) comes within a distance from the vehicle ~15-20 ft. away - well before the kick sensor is 'active and ready' for input. ...
Have to add that the puddle light will turn off in a short time while the fob is still in proximity if no one does anything to the vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2017 Denali does this intermittently!! I’ve had people tell me “sir your lift gate is open” while walking in the parking lot to a store. And while washing the corner it opens intermittently also. I’m about ready to disable it. If you turn it off at door control, it opens 100% and doesn’t work with fob😡.

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
My 2017 Denali does this intermittently!! I’ve had people tell me “sir your lift gate is open” while walking in the parking lot to a store. And while washing the corner it opens intermittently also. I’m about ready to disable it. If you turn it off at door control, it opens 100% and doesn’t work with fob😡.
Disabling hands-free shouldn't affect touchpad, door control, and fob functions. Turning off the liftgate with the door control puts it in 'manual' mode - remote opening with the RKE transmitter (fob) is disabled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mod thanks for making a new thread. I will revisit when I get it checked. Oil levels around 80 so might be a while. I noticed an update not to long ago maybe I will turn the function back on and try it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Disabling hands-free shouldn't affect touchpad, door control, and fob functions. Turning off the liftgate with the door control puts it in 'manual' mode - remote opening with the RKE transmitter (fob) is disabled.
Yes. That was the only way I found to turn it off. Manual mode! Sounds like there may be another way somewhere? I’ll have to read the manual again🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally go to take this in for the lift gate issue, the service person walked by the side and it opened so no saying they cant replicate this or that. So I'm in a loaner it has more safety features than mine. Does anyone know what this is on the dash and what it means when it flashes red? the red flashing happened once, pretty annoying.

car.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Acadia, SLE, V6 w/trailering package
28 Posts
I believe that red light is for the front collision avoidance. Pull up behind someone too fast/close and it activates. I could be wrong, mind does not have it but the 2020 AT loaner had it.

As for the lift gate, mine opened on its own twice when I was washing the back of the Acadia, the water motion must have set it off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what it is on mine. Annoying for a reason - gets your attention.
definitely got my attention. I found a setting for the distance, thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So they changed the module, number 42581710 module 12.243 all seems to be well now. Strange that its had this issue since new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine did this this morning, so I'll have to play around this weekend and see if there is a certain set of circumstances that does it. This time I was putting my lunchbox in the back seat and as soon as I touched the silver button on the rear door handle the liftgate opened. Had to stick my hand behind it cause the garage door was closed and it would definitely hit. Couldn't duplicate after that though.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Mine did this this morning, so I'll have to play around this weekend and see if there is a certain set of circumstances that does it. This time I was putting my lunchbox in the back seat and as soon as I touched the silver button on the rear door handle the liftgate opened. Had to stick my hand behind it cause the garage door was closed and it would definitely hit. Couldn't duplicate after that though.
Wow. . fast thinking on stopping the liftgate opening. It seems something to the tailgate motor logic is getting an errant signal.

And your're right. . . something that isn't easily duplicated is difficult to trouble shoot and correct the cause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts