GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eTrex Legend GPS unit. This is not a unit designed for car navigation, but it can be used that way.

Does anyone have experience with GPS reception when the unit is sitting on the dashboard? My understanding is that some windshields have a coating to reduce the heat load - and that coating interferes with the GPS signals. I can't, for example, put my GPS on my dash - it won't get reception.

Is that the case with the Acadia?

jh

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've had a few Garmin's over the years. My GPS V does just fine inside the car but it has to be near the window. My 76CSx does fine RAM mounted on the dash next to the steering wheel BUT it has the newer SiRF antenna which does far better than the older Garmins. I assume your Legend is the older one and probably performs similar to my old GPS V. You can also get an external magnet mounted antenna for it which will both improve reception and allow placement anywhere inside the car. If you haven't seen the NUVI's, they are fantastic (my parents have the 370) and they also work just fine anywhere inside the Acadia.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My Magellan 200 works very well even in the cupholder. No problems whatsoever. By the way, my speedometer matched the GPS exactly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
:ditto: I too have a Garmin on the windshield and it works great every time!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I used a Garmin NUvi over the weekend and it worked fine in the windshield and on the center console down by the shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Same here. Got a Nuvi 200w for christmas and it works flawlessly on the dash. It's truly amazing how far along these have comes in the last few years, even the very affordable ones.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My Garmin C340 works well on the windshield and actually anywhere else within the Acadia too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts