GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The same guy that replaces the windshield in my F-150 for $140 wants $400 for the Acadia (non-HUD). What did you pay to have yours replaced?

P.S. Our insurance has a $500 deductible and no glass coverage. :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had mine repaired for a cost of $40. The same shop said that if I wanted to replace the windshield, the cost would be $160. I've since found out that there are different types of replacement glass. I don't know exactly what glass the quote was for.

By the way, the rock ding that was fixed happened on our 2nd day of ownership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little bit about the damage: The rock (or whatever it was) hit about midway on the drivers side in the black area next to the "A pillar". The cracks (there are two) run towards the center. They are about 10" long.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have Farmers Insurance and their policy is if the crack is longer than a dollar bill they replace the windshield if not it just gets repaired. On my old vehicle it was repaired and you couldn't even tell where the crack was. They did an excellent job - not sure of the cost since the insurance covered it. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't find HUD replacement windshield here in Alberta, Canada! Have to get an aftermarket and have been quoted $1000.00!!!!!! Wish I had glass coverage now!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My policy with State Farm will replace one windshield a year for free. I had windshields replaced on both of my Saturn Vues under that policy... those things are rock magnets. Thankfully, I have not had any issues with the Acadia as of yet. Hopefully you find a better quote. Can you work through your insurance company even though it's not covered? They may be able to assist in finding a reasonably priced shop.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I paid the $100 deductible on my glass coverage to replace a HUD windshield.

Typically the aftermarket windshield companies around here will waive your insurance deductible and replace the glass at no out of pocket charge.

That was not the case on the Acadia's HUD glass. They claimed it cost nearly $1000 for the part.

I was happy to get it for "only" $100. It was an official GM part, and not aftermarket, based on the GM logo printed onto the corner of the glass.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i_like_f150s said:
A little bit about the damage: The rock (or whatever it was) hit about midway on the drivers side in the black area next to the "A pillar". The cracks (there are two) run towards the center. They are about 10" long.
That is almost exactly where mine hit, near the pillar in the black about halfway up, but on the passenger's side. I thought the black would help cracks from spreading. Is glass weaker at the edges? I had a bird slam into the windshield and no damage and with all of the Ike cleanup, lots of other stuff, but that is my first chip and boy howdy did it spread!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am waiting to get my new windshield. It should be in next Tuesday and will take 3 hours to install. I am getting an aftermarket one, but State Farm says they will warranty it. Also, they told me that the aftermarket was the supplier to GM but I could get a dealer one if I wanted. State Farm is paying after my deductable, does this all sound right? I told the rep. to go with the cheaper of the two as long as they were the same glass. She assured my they were the same, but it just sounded strange that they were offering me the same glass, but from different suppliers and I assume the dealer would be more $$$. They say aftermarket would be $800 but could not be done by mobile, had to be done in shop. Yes, I have HUD.

Any opinions or am I just reading too much into this?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Our Envoy took a boulder (that's what it looked like when it hit the windshield) and did a nice crack............as far as I know that was the OEM windshield. I had it replaced with an aftermarket windshield and sold it without any issues. I don't think the HUD plays into a certain windshield, but I could be wrong. You could always ask to go through the dealer, I am surprised that you have a deductible for glass though. The Envoy windshield was fully covered and it cost $650. I don't have any experience with a HUD windshield as xcskier posted earlier about there being an Acadia windshield.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
State Farm sent me through an independent installer. I really don't care what glass I get as long as it is just as good as the one replaced or better. I was assured they were the same, made by the same supplier. I just wondered why they gave me the option of one over the other. Seems like the same glass going through a third party is a waste of $$.

It's funny you said that about the deductible. I was happy at a $200 one. When my agent told me I said "OK, how do I get it fixed?" She told me I was one of the calmest people she's had when it comes to the glass. She said that most people get mad because windshields usually cost around $200 or so. I laughed and said that mine was going to cost much, much more than that and I was happy that I wasn't paying for the whole thing!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have had the windshied in mine replaced as well. With Geico they will replace up to 2 windshields a year with a 50 dollar deductible without it going against you. They will also fix rock chips free of charge. Here in the Houston area geico has contracted with Safelite auto glass which gives a lifetime warranty on their installation. I am glad I didnt have to pay for the glass out of pocket because it was over 500 for the glass, I dont have HUD in my SLE.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I paid $200, State Farm, $442

·
Super Moderator
22,429 Posts
xcskier said:
I was happy to get it for "only" $100. It was an official GM part, and not aftermarket, based on the GM logo printed onto the corner of the glass.
To my knowledge, US auto makers use glass made by either PPG or Safelite. The GM logo on your glass seems to me a 'feel good' addition and replacement with Safelite- or PPG-labeled glass would get you the identical item.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts