GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
We are very frustrated by the whole DVD/sound issues. What makes it worse is there is no info in any of the manuals (we got a Nav manual, and the standard manual -- both with NO info in it about how to work the DVD player and all the stuff with that)

Our *current* issue is that the sound is such that when you are playing a DVD, the background music is piped to the front and back speakers, but the people's voices are only piped to the front speakers. I want to be able to put ALL the sound on the back speakers and whenever it goes all the way to the back the voices are cut out!! AHHHHHH!

Issue number two is that the rear console controller seems to not work. We press the power button, but can't figure out how to control the volume in the back (the console volume controls do nothing!). I am wondering if there is some switch to "allow" the passengers to work the controls, or if ours is just broken.

Unfortunantly, our dealership seems CLUELESS about any issues beyond "how fabulous the all new Acadia is!". The salesman didn't even know how to work the SmartSlide system to get into the third row! When I call with these kind of questions they are beyond lost! (combination of a few new salesmen and the management who "don't get onto the sales floor very much, but do management, maybe a floor salesman can help you with that" (see above info on the new salesmen who don't have a clue either) :mad: ::) )

Can any of you DVD pros help me out here?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
arwmommy said:
Hello all,
We are very frustrated by the whole DVD/sound issues. What makes it worse is there is no info in any of the manuals (we got a Nav manual, and the standard manual -- both with NO info in it about how to work the DVD player and all the stuff with that)

Our *current* issue is that the sound is such that when you are playing a DVD, the background music is piped to the front and back speakers, but the people's voices are only piped to the front speakers. I want to be able to put ALL the sound on the back speakers and whenever it goes all the way to the back the voices are cut out!! AHHHHHH!

Issue number two is that the rear console controller seems to not work. We press the power button, but can't figure out how to control the volume in the back (the console volume controls do nothing!). I am wondering if there is some switch to "allow" the passengers to work the controls, or if ours is just broken.

Unfortunantly, our dealership seems CLUELESS about any issues beyond "how fabulous the all new Acadia is!". The salesman didn't even know how to work the SmartSlide system to get into the third row! When I call with these kind of questions they are beyond lost! (combination of a few new salesmen and the management who "don't get onto the sales floor very much, but do management, maybe a floor salesman can help you with that" (see above info on the new salesmen who don't have a clue either) :mad: ::) )

Can any of you DVD pros help me out here?

Thanks ;)
I'm not an expert, but I think I know a little bit that might help.

The voices come from the front speaker because the DVD is playing in 5.1 surround sound mode. The front speaker will play anything that is on the screen and the side and rear speakers will play the other sounds to give a theater like experience.

If you press the power button on the rear console the speakers in the back turn off on purpose. That power button is used by the rear passengers to direct the sound to their headsets and the assumption is that when they are listening with the headsets that they don't want the sound from the rear speakers to interfere with the headsets.

If you are playing a movie that has THX or Dolby EX, and if you use your fader to fade to the rear speakers, all the voices will kinda fade away and sound like they are faintly in the background. That is normal when in surround mode.

You have a couple options that I think might work.

1) Have the rear passengers press the power button and use the headsets. Then you can tune the front to XM or FM or through in a CD and listen to what you want.
or
2) After the movie is playing, press the rear power button to turn the headsets on, then press it again to turn the headset off. I think doing this will put the system into "stereo" mode. After you do that, then when you balance the speakers to the rear, the voices should be loud and clear as the surround mode will no longer be on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would also add that as in a typical home theatre setup, a majority of the dialogue is played via the center channel speaker as in the Acadia, Outlook and Enclave. (If so equipped)
Since this speaker is located forward of the dash storgae compartment, any fading will reduce the dialogue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 5.1 system in the Acadia, but GAR's explanation makes total sense when I think about how a 5.1 home theater system works.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I cannot remember if there is this option under audio, but turn it to stereo not 5.1 Dolby and the voices will come through all the speakers.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Boltbacker said:
I cannot remember if there is this option under audio, but turn it to stereo not 5.1 Dolby and the voices will come through all the speakers.
I have been all through the manual, and the menu on the radio, and I cannot find any setting to put it into stereo. I did stumble on a way to do it. If you turn on the rear power to turn on the headsets, it puts the system into stereo for the headsets. When you turn that power back off, it stays in stereo for all speakers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
GAR said:
Boltbacker said:
I have been all through the manual, and the menu on the radio, and I cannot find any setting to put it into stereo. I did stumble on a way to do it. If you turn on the rear power to turn on the headsets, it puts the system into stereo for the headsets. When you turn that power back off, it stays in stereo for all speakers.
You can do it with the remote.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I looked at the remote and could not figure it out. What button do you press?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just brought my SLT 1 home tonight and am having the same issue, we tried to get into stereo mode using your suggestions and we could not get anything to work! Does anyone else have a magic trick or a suggestion we could try? Thanks and great forum!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Most DVDs themselves have audio options on the DVD Menu. It's not exactly an elegant solution, but you can go into the DVD menu, go to audio options in setup and change it from 5.1 to stereo or 2.1.

I'm curious why you are trying to fade the cabin speakers to the rear? If you are trying to have rear passengers listen to the DVD without the front passengers, wouldn't the headsets be a better solution? We actually modified one of our headsets by taping a 4 inch section of "pipe insulation" to the top of it for a better fit for our 3 year old. It now fits her little head perfectly and mommy and daddy don't have to listen to Nemo for the 487th time on long trips :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your response! I did try to change the audio settings on Herbie Fully loaded and Meet the Robinsons and the only option they give you is dolby surround in a different language. The reason why I wanted to do this is so my kids don't have to where a headset all of the time, not that they are complaining now, but I am sure as time goes by the headsets will get old. Also I had a group of adults I was driving to a dinner and I turned on the movie old school and the couple sitting in the very back bench could not hear what the movie was saying clearly from the speakers all of the way up front they could only really hear background noise and music. Other than this issue I just love my Acadia, could not ask for a better vehicle! Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The quick and dirty solution would be to do the "stereo trick". Reach back between the seats and power on the rear audio controls, then power it back off a few seconds later. That should kick the cabin speakers into stereo mode where voices come out of all speakers. THis will also help fix the "lost audio track" that sometimes happens when you turn off the vehicle in the middle of watching a DVD then try to resume it later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We tried to do what you suggested by powering the rear audio on and then off and it still wouldn't work for us... :banghead: The third row can't here the voices in movies at all. Any one else still having problems with this or have gotten it to work?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
apples said:
We tried to do what you suggested by powering the rear audio on and then off and it still wouldn't work for us... :banghead: The third row can't here the voices in movies at all. Any one else still having problems with this or have gotten it to work?
Powering the rear headsets by pushing the rear power button on/off worked for us. I have also read that the remote control can change it too, but I have not tried that one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GAR said:
apples said:
Powering the rear headsets by pushing the rear power button on/off worked for us. I have also read that the remote control can change it too, but I have not tried that one.

This has not worked for us either. The reasons we want to do this are as mentioned before by others-- sometimes the kids don't want to wear the headphones, other times they can't hear the voices unless the volume is up so loud that the driver/front passenger are blasted away.

Seriously, this CAN'T be this hard!!! Is there really no way to do this???????? Grrrrr!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hear your pain...same frustration :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
arwmommy, Make sure you are trying what I suggested exactly. I think it sounds more confusing than it is. This IS annoying, but easily fixed. This has been verified by MANY owners, so I think it's a universal quick fix.

Whenever you notice that the center channel (voice track) sound is missing (this almost always happens when you are playing a DVD, shut the car off to go inside a store, for example, then get back in and start the DVD playing again), reach back to the rear audio controls and turn on the power, wait 5 seconds, then turn the power back off. Do all of this while the DVD is playing. Sound/voices should instantly be restored to all speakers.

You have to do this cycle on/off every time you stop and restart the car and continue playing the same movie. I've heard from a reliable source that a real fix is in the works, and might be offered very soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure we are trying to "fix" the same issue.

I have never had the voice track get "lost", the problem (which may have the same solution as that problem, for all I know!) is that I want the voice track to be on the BACK, and not have the surround sound so the driver is blown away by the voices so that it is loud enough for the passengers in the third row to hear it.

I just went out to my car and (again) did what you suggested, with no luck. I would be interested to know if I have a defective system, or if yours does the exact same thing mine does:

1- turn on DVD
2- hit the console audio control button to on
3- Wait 5 seconds
4- hit button again to turn rear audio off
5- hit the "music" button on RH side of screen
6- adjust sound all the way to rear speakers
7- once on final rear speakers line, only hear background sounds on the DVD
8-hit the "front" button one time, to bring a bit of the sound to front speakers, and suddenly hear voices again-- but only when sound is on a portion of front speakers.

Is there something I am doing wrong?? Is something wrong with my car? Is there something I am missing here??

·
Registered
113 Posts
admin

We've tried this MANY times. Have you actually gone and sat back in the third row put your head down to the speakers to see if you can hear voices. We have and and it hasn't worked. Have followed your directions to the "T" and still no voices in the third row. From the front and second row you can't tell. I sat in the drivers seat and my husband got into the third row to hear if it changed and it never did :'(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Admin???? Any thoughts on this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts