GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday was the first big drive in the snow and ice. I had a 2 hour drive turn into a 4 hour drive due to the weather in in the northeast. My AWD did great in mixed condition, ice and at the end 5 inches of snow. The traction control kicked in a couple of times and did well. I used the low gear self selector going down several hills and was able to do all except the most steep by gear braking. 1st keeps you under 15 and second is good to about 25 mph. All in all a good car in bad conditions!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you running factory tires on 18's, factory tires on 19's or something else? I have the 19's and live in NC, we do get winter weather, but not frequently enough to switch out to snow tires, so I'm curious about the performance of the factory 19" tires, particularly in more icey conditions, which is what our winter weather most often is here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mktuttle said:
Are you running factory tires on 18's, factory tires on 19's or something else? I have the 19's and live in NC, we do get winter weather, but not frequently enough to switch out to snow tires, so I'm curious about the performance of the factory 19" tires, particularly in more icey conditions, which is what our winter weather most often is here.
I have the factory 19"s on a FWD Acadia, and I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the footedness. While there's little ANY tire can do on sheer ice, I was backing into a slightly downslope parking space when my wheels started to spin...and my Acadia began to crab walk...then slide perilously toward the wall behind me. It took a lot of convincing to get my car out of that spot unscathed.

In snow, I've had quite a bit of wheel spin too (and crab walking)...so I don't have the greatest confidence in that rubber.

Unfortunately, FINDING snow tires for the 19's is not easy...or cheap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nothing works on black ice, other than cleated chains or cleated snow tires. It's best to just stay off the road entirely, if at all possible. Several years ago, I was coming home from a New Years Eve party, and a light rain surprised everybody by freezing on the roads. I was in a Toyota 4WD pickup with mud and snows, and it was nearly uncontrollable, even creeping along at 5 mph. I got it home unscathed, but had to drop the passenger side wheels off onto the gravel shoulder, to get any traction at all. Drove all the way home that way. Had a tension headache that wouldn't quit from the stress of it all, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My FWD SLE handles fabulously in the snow and on ice. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The traction control works great! I haven't had any instances where I felt like the vehicle was out of control whether heading straight forward on the road or making turns. And we've definitely been dealt with some snowy/icy conditions here in Chicago over the past few weeks. I've even purposely tried to get it to slide around a turn, and it just won't.

:thumb:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Aclavelook said:
mktuttle said:
I have the factory 19"s on a FWD Acadia, and I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the footedness. While there's little ANY tire can do on sheer ice, I was backing into a slightly downslope parking space when my wheels started to spin...and my Acadia began to crab walk...then slide perilously toward the wall behind me. It took a lot of convincing to get my car out of that spot unscathed.

In snow, I've had quite a bit of wheel spin too (and crab walking)...so I don't have the greatest confidence in that rubber.

I have to agree with the 19's review, we had a lot of mixed snow/sleet yesterday and driving home from work the slush on the road controlled the car more than me, I we being pulled in all direction, I had to slow down to not get completely pulled off the road. Overall I feel a quality M&S rated tire would make it better handling in the slush. Did not have a problem getting up a snow covered hill, the AWD pulled it up, it was more the control in the slush. My MDX with Michelin Cross Terrain tires handled that stuff much better,dispersed the slush out and waay from the tires much better than the Goodyear's mounted to the 19" rims.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
18" are Mud/Snow tires while factory 19 inch are NOT. 19 inch will hydroplane due to tread design. If you have 19 inch, might want to consider 4 snow tires!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the factory 19's and did not have the pulling problem anymore than I had in my Explorer. The thing I was most impressed with was the ability to gear brake - it added a lot of security!

I cringe to think what 4 snow tires for this car would cost - the 19's are not widely available yet. Maybe by next winter.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Of course the 18" has a more aggressive tread than the 19's. Sometimes using the transmission to apply a little more power (not speed) to the wheels helps. Using the trasmission to get more torque to the wheels helps the wheels power through the built up slush instead of the slush deflecting the wheels to one side or the other. A little more power, but not more speed. Of course the tranny is great for controlling speed down a slippery slope too. (IMO) :thumb:

·
Registered
542 Posts
tm59 said:
Of course the 18" has a more aggressive tread than the 19's. Sometimes using the transmission to apply a little more power (not speed) to the wheels helps. Using the trasmission to get more torque to the wheels helps the wheels power through the built up slush instead of the slush deflecting the wheels to one side or the other. A little more power, but not more speed. Of course the tranny is great for controlling speed down a slippery slope too. (IMO) :thumb:
For us dummies out there-How do you increase power, not speed? Lower gear?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep. Select a lower gear. :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aclavelook said:
mktuttle said:

Have you considered siping your tires? (gives tires more grip -- involves using a machine to slice shallow grooves perpendicular to the sidewalls). Supposedly makes the tires last longer, gives more traction, and more. Until I can get snow tires, I am considering this option..

·
Registered
677 Posts
teetertotter said:
18" are Mud/Snow tires while factory 19 inch are NOT. 19 inch will hydroplane due to tread design. If you have 19 inch, might want to consider 4 snow tires!
The 19's are M+S rated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts