GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the brakes are extremely "grabby" when the Acadia has been sitting for 8+ hours in wet or very damp weather. It only lasts for 2 or 3 applications, but it is really annoying. When I say "grabby" I mean they practically lock up (or go antilock) with just a slight touch of the pedal. I think this is related to the type of brake pads used (ceramic) and I did have the same problem with my '02 Silverado HD2500.

Does anyone else notice the wet/damp brake grab? ???

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, I've noticed a little bit of that tendency. I can't relate it to wet or damp particularly, but usually happens on the first drive of the day and in cold weather. I never felt like they were going to lock up, though. Seems to go away after one or two stops. It hasn't concerned me very much since it doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
tm59 said:
I've noticed that the brakes are extremely "grabby" when the Acadia has been sitting for 8+ hours in wet or very damp weather. It only lasts for 2 or 3 applications, but it is really annoying. When I say "grabby" I mean they practically lock up (or go antilock) with just a slight touch of the pedal. I think this is related to the type of brake pads used (ceramic) and I did have the same problem with my '02 Silverado HD2500.

Does anyone else notice the wet/damp brake grab? ???
It's rust buildup on the rotors.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only had the problem on the two vehicles (the Acadia & Chevy Silverado HD2500) that had ceramic pads. Both are OE from Akebono. If it's rust on the rotors wouldn't it happen to most other vehicles as well? ???

·
Registered
217 Posts
It doesn't seem to me that much rust would form overnight after being burnished off during the previous day's driving.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Same thing occured with my Yukon...just ease it out, gently apply the brakes...no biggie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happens on my vehicle as well. Was almost rear-ended recently because of it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know about grabby but mine seem to be more touchy in colder weather but my touchy is probably the same as your grabby.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
tm59 said:
When I say "grabby" I mean they practically lock up (or go antilock) with just a slight touch of the pedal.
Just think of it as a seat belt check as your brakes try to throw you through the windshield. ;D

Our Acadia doesn't do this buy my Silverado's brakes squeal the first time or two I apply them after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
garco 57 said:
I don't know about grabby but mine seem to be more touchy in colder weather but my touchy is probably the same as your grabby.
Touchy is probably a better word than grabby to describe my brakes too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Touchy", "grabby"... Hmmmm, is this going somewhere... ;D

Maybe touchy is a better way to describe it. So long as we remember to burn it off with a couple of applications before getting into traffic it's ok. But if we forget...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I paid a little more attention today and it feels more like the brakes are being slightly applied as I back out of the driveway and then it still feels like the brakes are slightly applied going forward. Seems to go away after a driving a short distance. It reminds me of driving with the parking brake applied. If you apply the brakes during this time they do feel grabby/touchy. This is all at fairly low speeds, but I don't remember this condition when the weather was warmer. If it continues I'll probably have it looked at by the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts