GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I felt a bit like Goldilocks in the 3 bears' house after a long day at the Philly auto show examining (and measuring) every vehicle even remotely in the Acadia class and finding most of them too big or too small, too high or too low, to expensive or too cheap, and so forth. We've pretty well settled on an Acadia, but wanted to do one last comparison to be sure we hadn't overlooked any viable choice. Herewith, some rambling thoughts:

The GM Lambdas stack up well with the best in terms of exterior design, fit, and finish. They leave a little to be desired in the interior appointments, especially the second row seating.

Smart slide is anything but! Every vehicle we looked at provided good access to the third row, some had second row seats that adjusted fore and aft, and none had unsightly slots in the floor or ill-fitting carpet sections.

The truck-based SUVs really get the job done, but we're tired of climbing up into the cab and worrying about clearance in parking garages.

The "Signature Edition" of the Chrysler Pacifica - an otherwise undistinguished vehicle - has a striking second row captains chair/console interior that shows what the Lambdas could be.

The Mercedes GL450 would probably be my pick if cost were no option. But even the Benz is not perfect and could use a bit more width in the cargo area and a captains chair option for the second row.

The Audi Q7 was one we never considered until finding one on the floor. Very nice, with an available 4.2 V8 and a handsome captains chairs/console and third row optional interior. Not quite as pricey as the Benz, but still in the low 60s with the right stuff. Maybe worth a closer look.

The Acura MDX was very nicely appointed and I'm aware of its excellent driving dynamics, but its a bit small for our needs.

The Acadia is still the only one of the crossovers that has (just barely) the ability to fit a 4x8 sheet of building material through the tailgate and between the wheel houses. At the end of the day, although we saw some tempting alternatives, size does matter and Acadia is the practical solution. I just wish we were more enthused.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
We had the same discussions. I kept trying to talk myself into the Mazda CX-9 or the Hyundai Veracruz, but they just don't do the interior space as well.

I found it came down to this: Was I getting the vehicle for lots of toys, and a fun driving experience? Or was I getting it because of practicality and space?

I chose the latter, and while I do get envious whenever I get passed in town by a truck or minivan (heck, even my Saturn VUE had much more torque), I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
My wife and I felt a bit like Goldilocks in the 3 bears' house after a long day at the Philly auto show examining (and measuring) every vehicle even remotely in the Acadia class and finding most of them too big or too small, too high or too low, to expensive or too cheap, and so forth. We've pretty well settled on an Acadia, but wanted to do one last comparison to be sure we hadn't overlooked any viable choice. Herewith, some rambling thoughts:

The GM Lambdas stack up well with the best in terms of exterior design, fit, and finish. They leave a little to be desired in the interior appointments, especially the second row seating.

Smart slide is anything but! Every vehicle we looked at provided good access to the third row, some had second row seats that adjusted fore and aft, and none had unsightly slots in the floor or ill-fitting carpet sections.

The truck-based SUVs really get the job done, but we're tired of climbing up into the cab and worrying about clearance in parking garages.

The "Signature Edition" of the Chrysler Pacifica - an otherwise undistinguished vehicle - has a striking second row captains chair/console interior that shows what the Lambdas could be.

The Mercedes GL450 would probably be my pick if cost were no option. But even the Benz is not perfect and could use a bit more width in the cargo area and a captains chair option for the second row.

The Audi Q7 was one we never considered until finding one on the floor. Very nice, with an available 4.2 V8 and a handsome captains chairs/console and third row optional interior. Not quite as pricey as the Benz, but still in the low 60s with the right stuff. Maybe worth a closer look.

The Acura MDX was very nicely appointed and I'm aware of its excellent driving dynamics, but its a bit small for our needs.

The Acadia is still the only one of the crossovers that has (just barely) the ability to fit a 4x8 sheet of building material through the tailgate and between the wheel houses. At the end of the day, although we saw some tempting alternatives, size does matter and Acadia is the practical solution. I just wish we were more enthused.....
Considering some of the others you mentioned above, most noteably the Benz and Audi, I'm surprised you aren't looking at the Enclave over the Acadia. I know you mentioned some were too expensive, but you did say the Audi was "maybe worth a closer look" being in the low 60's...Just a thought. I'm sure the decision also lends itself to overall looks too. And despite your "Oldtimerfan" username, perhaps you aren't quite ready to be thrown into the perceived older Buick crowd. :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You raise some good points imgntht. As to the name, "oldtimerfan" is the term our German relatives use for antique automobile enthusiasts like me and my wife. We have half a dozen collector vehicles from an early '20s touring to 1960s sports and muscle cars that we drive and enjoy. We also happen to be "oldtimers" ourselves, but we are not the least bit sensitive about image.

With regard to cost, I should have said "too expensive for the purpose." We don't own a truck, so this vehicle will have to assume the workhorse duties of our old Expedition. It will haul lumber and building supplies in addition to people. My wife will drive it to work in bad weather, when her beloved M3 convertible becomes a garage queen. It will be taken "into harms way" in city traffic and crowded parking lots.

As to the Enclave, we decided early on that it did not offer enough advantages over the Acadia to offset the functional loss of tailgate width. Our quest was to see if anything else was so tempting that we could overlook some practical compromises. The jury is still out......

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. That makes good sense then. If you not in too big a hurry, the Chevy Traverse is debuting at the Chicago Auto Show this weekend. Our sister site might already have the picture, if not Autoweek.com has at least one. I believe I read it would be in showrooms this summer and will be getting the 3.6 DI motor. Might be worth a quick look to see if it is worth waiting for. Base prices should be cheaper, but perhaps the build quality will be too! ???

In any regard good luck on your decision, and keep those "old timer" cars in good shape! :cheers:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
. We also happen to be "oldtimers" ourselves, but we are not the least bit sensitive about image.
With regard to cost, I should have said "too expensive for the purpose." We don't own a truck, so this vehicle will have to assume the workhorse duties of our old Expedition. It will haul lumber and building supplies in addition to people. My wife will drive it to work in bad weather, when her beloved M3 convertible becomes a garage queen. It will be taken "into harms way" in city traffic and crowded parking lots.
Being in somewhat the same age group? ( my favorite car was the 1970 dodge challenger 340 I got when getting out of college) I had to mention that when my father died, I took his hospital bed home with me to sell. I dropped both sets of seats and slid it into the back and closed the gate. The ability of this car to carry stuff is amazing. I also love the heated seats (dang, giving away my age again). An ya, I could afford almost anything, but I wasn't willing to pay 60 grand for what I could get in the Acadia. In my 47 years of driving, I really think this is the best car I have owned!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like you want an amount of space that only the Lambdas and maybe the GL can provide.

You can compared features and prices adjusted for said features at my site, here:

Car price comparisons

My February reliability results, which will be released in a week or so, will include all of the models you mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts