GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..Just bought a 2008 Acadia..Love it!

I bought the GMX-320 from CostalTech, and have the unlock features for DVD/Nav System...I just bought the Telephone5000vi...I installed the GMX-320 last night without any issues, and I did it by tucking the wires in the spare compartment to the right behind the Nav system...With the new box I have to connect a bunch of wires, which should be pretty easy, the only challenge is I need to run the microphone underneath the steering wheel and up to the top. Does anyone know how to get the panel underneath the steering wheel off? I don't do to much car work or anything, so pretty much a newbie at this... It looks like there are some round plastic bolts that expand when pushed through a hole...Do I need to get some pliers and crimp the large ends together or something, and get those off that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never taken apart my new acadia just yet. But I was wondering if you had any trouble hooking up the backup camera wire to the back of the car? You know the green wire you are to hook the blue wire from the GMX-320 kit. And one more thing... is it really that eas to install the lock pick??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm also really interested on how this thing works. I've read a few posts about its integration with OnStar. But as of right now I'm holding off to hear about someone people using it. I don't really care too much for the features except the Bluetooth. So let me now how it goes.
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
I purchased the IPOD & GMX-320 lockpicks. The IPOD connection on the 2008 Acadia is a P-A-I-N in the A$$!! Just got to remember to pull down the blue tab - it pulls down quite a ways. And don't be fooled by the fake plastic backing in the back of the compartment. It inhibits removing the XM connection. It took me 30 minutes of vane attempts until I realized I can push in the rubber/plastic backing to allow the connection to pull out.

The blue wire for the rear camera doesn't seem long enough to reach the back of the 2008 Acadia. The Coastel ETech video (and manual) show clipping the original wire next to the connector. For the 2008 Acadia, this forces one to run the blue wire all the way to the back. Why can't you clip the wire closer to the Nav system and use the more of the existing wire? I actually got an email response from Coastal today (emailed them yesterday) - woohoo!...they don't have the 5000vi at the moment... anyway, I asked a few questions about the systems. Hopefully they respond back.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Installed the GMX-320 today and will wait for the GM bluetooth option this summer (OnStar gadget).

I bought same gauge wire as the additional blue wire (20 AWG), from Radio Shack. They provided 20 ft continuous. I thought it would be way long, but I didn't need to cut it down. Slight excess at beginning and end but not too bad. I installed clip releases on original green wire so, in the event I remove the GMX, I can still have original rear camera setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Installed the GMX-320 today and will wait for the GM bluetooth option this summer (OnStar gadget).

I bought same gauge wire as the additional blue wire (20 AWG), from Radio Shack. They provided 20 ft continuous. I thought it would be way long, but I didn't need to cut it down. Slight excess at beginning and end but not too bad. I installed clip releases on original green wire so, in the event I remove the GMX, I can still have original rear camera setup.
Hi,

This is great info, but what is a "clip release"? Can you provide a photo?

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can pick them up at radio shack or from an auto parts dealer:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103502&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=crimp+on+connectors&kw=crimp+on+connectors&parentPage=search

You can buy them insulated (as shown) or uninsulated. BUY INSULATED!! For the back connection, I removed the electrical tape around the camera wire housing and replaced the tape after connection. I have wire that runs the length of the vehicle with these crimp connectors on each end, allowing me to remove the GMX if necessary - and put it back in - if necessary - in a pretty quick fasion.

Putting in the GMX was like changing brake pads, initially initimidating idea...until you do it the first time...and then you wonder why you didn't do it earlier...

The below is what the GMX comes with:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103511&cp=&sr=1&origkw=crimp+on+connectors&kw=crimp+on+connectors&parentPage=search

This impedes your ability to make adjustments. You could probably pull the wire out of the butt connector but not a prefered method.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so if I understand things correctly -- GMX comes with a round connector and GM uses a bladed
on for the camera? -- why not build a blade to gmx round interface instead
of running a complete second wire setup.

I'm about to lease a Ent #4 Enclave with rear camera -- and bought a GMX-320, I'll of course want
to put things back the way they belong when I return things.

I'd prefer to be ready to install the GMX completely before ripping things apart
and realizing I need to "do something different" or "run to the store for some parts"
if you know what I mean.

thanks,

M

·
Registered
381 Posts
GM has wires attached to harness connectors. No clips.

In order to use the GMX, you need to CUT the GM green wire that comes out of the existing camera harness. On the other end, I cut off the GMX provided butt connector and replaced it with insulated clips so I can quickly remove the GMX if I choose. I followed by doing the same at the camera end, and just retaped the wire harness (which now has the new connection and the original wire leading back to the NAV - all with clips attached).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts