GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several people have written over the months on the subject of GMS pricing, or employee pricing. I quality for this, and would welcome comments on how GM may "take care" of their dealers when they sell for a price below invoice. I am attempting to negotiate some "extras" from a dealer, and he (general sales mgr.) continues to recite to me the fact that GMS pricing is already below invoice, therefore there's really no room for additional dealer incentives.

I had one salesman from another dealer tell me that there is an approximate $900 holdback on the Acadia - payable to the dealer at the end of the year. In an attempt to negotiate a fair deal on accessories or other buyer benefits, what might you forum contributors share with me to help me clearly understand a dealer's perspective when it comes to revenue on a sale - even a GMS sale. Up to this point I'm presuming that GM takes care of their dealers on "empl." sales, even if a bit less profitable than a retail sale. But, certainly not a loss, or even a break-even on the sale. Am I far off?

Your thoughts please...

Smooth <><

·
Registered
812 Posts
i consider myself lucky even if i bought my Acadia at $500 above invoive w/o the rebates. Most of the dealer in my area is selling them at MSRP. i went to 6 dealership including 3 from out of town just to find the right price. i dont have any supplier discount or any GM card earnings though :-[. Could have save some more if i had these two or be qualified for the Loyalty rebates if i own another GM car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Smooth,
I have bought a number of GM vehicles using GMS pricing over the last 15 years. The GMS price is below dealer cost and is, I believe, not negotiable, except for any dealer installed options. I have been told that the dealer gets a fixed profit on each GMS vehicle sale, not including any holdbacks which may vary by make and model. The GMS price is printed on the vehicle invoice which the dealer is required to show you at the time of purchase. Dealers are not required by GM to sell to an employee at the GMS price, and I have run into dealers who refuse to participate in the program

I don't know personally of anyone over the years who has negotiated on the actual GMS price of a vehicle, although I suppose it might have happened. I would doubt that you will have any success attempting this. Remember, you are getting the the employee price, which is lower than what the vast majority of other purchasers can get -all without any negotiations or hassle. I personally like this approach to buying a vehicle-fast and convenient.

I think holdbacks have become a bigger part of the dealer profit equation in recent years, one which the dealers don't really want to acknowledge because it allows them to sell at prices closer to dealer cost, let the buyer think they are getting a good deal, and still make some money on the sale.

By the way, some of my thoughts on this subject come from having dealt with GM dealers in your area as I lived there for a number of years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Snoguy - I've heard that non-GM associates can get preferred pricing from an active GM associate and/or retiree, is this true? I know Chrysler offers a Friends&Family program, does GM offer a similiar program to your knowledge?

·
Registered
403 Posts
3% holdback from GM to the dealer on retail sticker, if I remember right. Don't sweat it, they are still making money.

·
Registered
217 Posts
SEL said:
Snoguy - I've heard that non-GM associates can get preferred pricing from an active GM associate and/or retiree, is this true? I know Chrysler offers a Friends&Family program, does GM offer a similiar program to your knowledge?
Yes. GM currently has a program where friends of GM employees can get supplier pricing(not as good as employee pricing) and an owner loyalty program with an extra rebate(owner loyalty program is only good through 1/31/08).

To find vehicle pricing, visit gmfamilyfirst.com and select “Supplier Pricing” from the Vehicle Shopping drop-down menu. Then select “Build Your Own.” Once you begin choosing your options, you will see the comparison of MSRP and supplier pricing. When you’re ready to purchase or lease, ask your GM contact to give you a personal Authorization Number, and take it to a participating dealer to get your GM vehicle discount.

The GM employee and GM supplier purchase programs are different programs with different pricing structures. According to the GM rules for the employee/retiree program, the employee/retiree may also sponsor spouses and certain family members(including spouses family) to purchase at the employee price. Unless you're in this family group, a person is not eligible for employee pricing.

However, I have read on this board that some non eligible people have received employee pricing.

According to the rules:

Violations of these Rules and Guidelines including violation of retention periods or titling violations by any sponsored purchaser will result in sanctions against the eligible participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges (two [2] years per violation), repayment of monies and/or employment action up to and including termination of employment. In addition, legal action may be commenced for any rule violation.

General Motors reserves the right to audit dealership records and disqualify any sales that do not meet The Programs’ guidelines. Any money improperly paid to any party based upon dealers or eligible participants representation shall be charged back accordingly.

All dealers I or my family have ever dealt with have been very careful to verify that a person is in fact eligible for this program. That 's not to say that violations don't occur, and I don't know how closely GM checks employee sales, but for an employee or dealer to violate the rules doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Snoguy said:
Yes. GM currently has a program where friends of GM employees can get supplier pricing(not as good as employee pricing) and an owner loyalty program with an extra rebate(owner loyalty program is only good through 1/31/08).
From my experience, the supplier pricing is above the invoice price and typically I have been able to do better than the supplier pricing just working with the dealership on price based on invoice. I got my 2008 Acadia at flat invoice - $500 from the dealer. However, if you don't like doing the negotiations, supplier pricing is not a terrible deal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snoguy,

Thx for the information. I'm quite familiar with the GM pricing & FamilyFirst website. What I was interested in knowing is that the dealership still makes money - even from the GMS pricing sales. I am totally Ok with the pricing, and wouldn't hope (or attempt) to negotiate on the black & white base vehicle & option pricing. However, I am hoping to get roof-rails thrown in at no cost, and possibly a credit towards chroming of the stock 18" wheels if I have the dealership send them out when the Acadia is received. So, if they're hungry for a sale, I hope they may consider using some of the 3% holdback towards making my purchase less expensive.

Smooth

·
Registered
217 Posts
Smooth said:
Snoguy,
However, I am hoping to get roof-rails thrown in at no cost, and possibly a credit towards chroming of the stock 18" wheels if I have the dealership send them out when the Acadia is received. So, if they're hungry for a sale, I hope they may consider using some of the 3% holdback towards making my purchase less expensive.

Smooth
If it is dealer installed or performed, it should be negotiable. However, in my experience, this is the type of thing that the dealer likes to make extra profit on, so they may be reluctant to deal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My supplier pricing was $200 under invoice, got all weather mats and roof rails thrown in for free, along with cost on a tri-fold rear mat.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gee Crav...,

You can't complain about that deal :thumb: Did you ask for extra incentives, or did you just have a really nice salesman?

Smooth <><

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you never ask, you'll never get it...worst they can say is no. I think I also had a good salesman.

·
Registered
20 Posts
when you pay these prices: invoice or supplier price, is the price to drive it off the lot??
or are you adding fees to that price?

·
Registered
60 Posts
zlwheeler said:
when you pay these prices: invoice or supplier price, is the price to drive it off the lot??
or are you adding fees to that price?
True "GMS" pricing, we only had the Document fees over the GMS price we recieved when we ordered.
I am not sure if this is going to be the same from state-to-state for the "Doc Fees"

·
Registered
234 Posts
Does anyone know if GM Card points can be applied with GM Supplier pricing?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SEL said:
Does anyone know if GM Card points can be applied with GM Supplier pricing?
If the Supplier Pricing works like the Empl. Pricing [which I believe it does] you can apply your GM card savings to your purchase. AND, you are still entitled to any rebates / savings offered to the general public.

The GMS pricing represents vehicle & option pricing only. Add to that delivery (a.k.a. marketing) expense, taxes, and license fees.[/color]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks Smooth...I think one of the dealer was trying to trick a trickster and tell me I was unable to apply my
GM points with Supplier pricing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you could call the Supl. pricing rep. (or the 800 #) for your GM card and ask them for the details. You probably have a web site where the basics are discussed. Good luck. What are you thinking of buying?

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Lease ends 6/25 so with 2-month GM pull ahead I can take delivery after 4/25, so I am looking to place an order at the end of this month (assuming an 8 week build time).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I read somewhere that you can't use your GM Card earnings with GM Supplier pricing if you have the newer card(the one that has redemption limits per vehicle).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts