GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions for anyone familiar with this program. I am eligible for this program as the grandchild of a retired employee. The program is now called GM NVPP (New Vehicle Purchase Program). As I read the Rules and Guidelines brochure (4 pages), there are a few unaswered questions:

1. Which rebates is one eligible for....regional bonus cash, conquest, and holiday special (e.g. presidents day)?

2. Max "document fee" that dealer can charge is $75, does this include bank acquisition fees (lease transaction) as well?

3. Dealer participation is voluntary....has anyone come across a dealer that chose not to participate? If so, did the dealer just opt out upfront or did they play games (e.g. keep rebates, offer finance rate in excess of GMAC base rate, etc.)?

I called the Information Hotline, but the operators seemed not to certain about most of the questions asked.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use the GMS program as well (my dad worked for GM) and have always bought my cars this way. I will answer what I can:

1 - I believe I got the regional bonus cash, the president's day and a GM Friends & Family card extra bonus. The Conquest did not apply (story I got was they belive you are already loyal if you are an employee or family member).

2 - don't know about the doucment fee...don't think I have been charged that

3 - I'm in a fairly small town and know the dealer pretty well (my husband is their Architect) or they have always treated my very fairly.

One thing to remember with this is that you will probably be better off selling your old vehicle as opposed to trading in -- in a normal setting that is usually part of the whole package and they really don't have a lot of room to offer you much when purchasing on this program.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elgmom--

Thanks for the quick response, just a few more questions that i thought of after the fact:

4. There is no indication that there is a difference in pricing if you purchase stock on the lot vs. a customer order....is this the case?

5. How is the dealer compensated under this program?...It is my understanding that they are re-invoiced at the GMS Price and paid 5% of the re-invoiced amount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
4 - you are correct, same price for off the lot or ordered (years ago this was different, but has been this way for quite a while).

5 - I really am not sure, but that sounds about right.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If there is a particular vehicle you have your eye on I can look on the GM employee website to see exactly what the price for that particular vehicle is.Just give me the vin and zip code it's located in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interceptor--

Thanks....but i have access to the site by logging on as my granparent.....however, i don't believe you have to be logged on to see the GMS pricing....give it a try without logging on.

The vehicle i'm interested in is in-transit (due on the lot some time in the next two weeks)......i saw it posted on the inventory site on Tues.....on Wed I gave the dealer a refundable deposit via credit card (is the practice of a few dealerships that are selling them as soon as they arrive)......on Thur i noticed that is was no longer showing on the inventory site.

Will see if we can close the deal once it arrives on the lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
GMS Pricing and Lease documentation fees.

I just closed on an Acadia with a 2 year lease and GMS pricing.

They charged me a $575 documentation fee.

Besides being alot of money, is this allowed under GMS rules?

·
Registered
43 Posts
67% residual, 20K miles, 1st months payment, 7.2% lease factor through GMAC. GMS price about $38K, plus Michigan Use tax of 6% monthly. Payment worked out to about $720. I don't have the paperwork in front of me or I would be more specific.

Given the 67% residual after 2 years, I took the deal. I have sold other vehicles after 2 years only to have to pony up additional money $$$$ to pay off the financing. I like the certainty of the lease (and the idea of a new vehicle every two years).

Just my opinion, but it works for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For $720 a month you could have owned the Acadia with 5 years of the same payment I think.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That's what I am paying for my STL-2 with my trade in as a down payment. We didn't put any cash down. We even got our deposit check back! ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: GMS Pricing and Lease documentation fees.

morpheus said:
I just closed on an Acadia with a 2 year lease and GMS pricing.

They charged me a $575 documentation fee.

Besides being alot of money, is this allowed under GMS rules?
Dealers are permitted to assess up to $75 in doc fees per the guidelines of GMS progam effective Sept 1, 2004....I was charged the max of $75 when leasing the Acadia in March.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a couple questions about GMS pricing:

1. Does anyone know if there are limits on the marketing/advertising fees when using
GMS pricing? And would these fees be included in the taxable total, or are they after tax?

2. Is sales tax calculated on the GMS price? My dealer gave me an GMS price quote that has the sales tax calculated on a higher price. The price is listed as follows:

GMS $32,629
MEMO $1,550
TOTAL $34,179

He then calculates tax as 7% of $34,179 = 2,478. This results in a total of 36,657.
He then backs the $1,550 out at the end resulting in $35,107.

Does this make any sense to anyone who has used GMS before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Max doc fee also seems to apply to Supplier Pricing as well. I ordered an Enclave a few weeks ago under Supplier pricing at that is what I'm being charged.

On GMS and tax. I have purchased 6 vehicles over my lifetime with GMS pricing from 1986 to 2003. (I used to be eligible, but I lost my eligibility last year due to the loss of the family member/retiree). On sales tax (in NJ) I was always charged based on the GMS price. Of course, if there was a rebate, that tax is calculate before the rebate. My last purchase was in 2003, so maybe the states are getting smart to this and want the dealers to base it off the invoice price?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Warren said:
I have a couple questions about GMS pricing:

1. Does anyone know if there are limits on the marketing/advertising fees when using
GMS pricing? And would these fees be included in the taxable total, or are they after tax?

2. Is sales tax calculated on the GMS price? My dealer gave me an GMS price quote that has the sales tax calculated on a higher price. The price is listed as follows:

GMS $32,629
MEMO $1,550
TOTAL $34,179

He then calculates tax as 7% of $34,179 = 2,478. This results in a total of 36,657.
He then backs the $1,550 out at the end resulting in $35,107.

Does this make any sense to anyone who has used GMS before?

GMS price is set and is listed on the invoice...the destination charge is already included in GMS price.....ask him to see the invoice and look at the bottom of the far right hand column.....my dealer did not add any marketing / advertisng fees to the GMS price..the only things that were added to my GMS price were: bank acq fee (lease), doc fee, window etch fee and motor vehicle fee.

Is sales tax calculated on the GMS price? My dealer gave me an GMS price quote that has the sales tax calculated on a higher price. The price is listed as follows

Tax was calculated on sum of: GMS price, bank acq fee (lease), doc fee, window etch fee, motor vehicle fee net down pymntand/or rebate.....can't remember if rebate is applied before or after the tax calculation...given the small rebate it is somewhat negligible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Memo is NOT Taxed. This is a credit given to the selling dealer for handling a GMS deal. Tax should have been charged on the GMS price + adds. Also the Maximum Doc fee is $75.00 for GMS purchases.

Remember if you Lease from GMAC, they have a $595 acquisition fee which includes diposal of the vehicle at lease end. This is on all Leases with GMAC regardless of GMS or not.

I hope that this helps. I worked for GM for 30 years and I am a GM Retiree. I also now sell GMC Trucks for the last 4 years here in California. Hope that this helps..

·
Registered
143 Posts
monstersinc1 said:
...On sales tax (in NJ) I was always charged based on the GMS price. Of course, if there was a rebate, that tax is calculate before the rebate...
This was not true for my GMS purchase. My $500 bonus cash rebate was subtracted from my GMS pricing before any tax was applied.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts