GMC Acadia Forum banner

gmc emblem on steering wheel

14K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  DeForger 
#1 ·
laid into my horn the other day when someone cut in front of me and now my GMC emblem is dented. Has anyone tried to remove/repair theirs, or do I have to live with it??? :banghead:

#2 ·
Mine is dented too for some reason. I'm gonna have them replace it under warranty.

#3 ·
I took mine in yesterday. They did not have the part but ordered the entire horn pad with the emblem to replace mine under warranty. The service advisor wrote it up as a "deformed" emblem. I had not thought about it, but "dented" sounds like it had been damaged and "deformed" sounds more like a defect. It worked for me and when the new part comes in, mine will be fixed. :) Good luck getting yours replaced as well.

#4 ·
Exactly how hard did you hit the horn?!?! :)

When I had to have the horn button on my Venture replaced, it took three trips to the dealership. After the first visit they ordered the part, called and told me the part was in when it wasn't, and finally I had to wait until their "electrical expert" got back from vacation before they could get it repaired.
Glad to hear the GMC folks are getting it done!

#5 ·
mrvids said:
Exactly how hard did you hit the horn?!?! :)
I'll let badkarma answer too, but I personally am not 100% sure the dent or deformity on my is from hitting the horn.

#6 ·
Same dent, er, deformity on mine. Don't know how it happened but it's been there almost since day 1.

I'll have to try the warranty idea; I figure the dealer owes me one after three unsuccessful trips to fix the leaky roof!

#7 ·
Gills said:
Same dent, er, deformity on mine. Don't know how it happened but it's been there almost since day 1.
I'll have to try the warranty idea; I figure the dealer owes me one after three unsuccessful trips to fix the leaky roof!
Leaky roof or no leaky roof. That emblem should not become deformed under normal use and should be covered by warranty. Good luck!!

#8 ·
Finally took my truck in for service/recalls, service man said the emblem is part of the airbag assembly and costs $800.00!!! Also he said NOT covered under warranty, I'll try Deformed tomorrow,,thanks..

#10 ·
I just got the card from the dealer and my replacement part 15813149 Airbag Module, LF is in and I will schedule the replacement of my deformed one. Good Luck!!!!

#11 ·
badkarma said:
Finally took my truck in for service/recalls, service man said the emblem is part of the airbag assembly and costs $800.00!!! Also he said NOT covered under warranty, I'll try Deformed tomorrow,,thanks..
WOW that is suprising that it can be replaced individually.

GAR said:
I just got the card from the dealer and my replacement part 15813149 Airbag Module, LF is in and I will schedule the replacement of my deformed one. Good Luck!!!!
Sounds like a good service guy!

#12 ·
bonk1313 said:
GAR said:
Sounds like a good service guy!
Yes! Not only a good service guy, but a good service manager, and a great dealership. They call me after every service call, even oil changes, and ask if I was 100% satisfied. If there are any issues they have a full time guy that resolves them and they bend over backwards to get keep me happy. I like the service so much I don't even look at other brands of cars. I go to that GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealership and pick the best car for me at that time. I'm just glad that this time it was the Acadia!! :)

#13 ·
I noticed a few times on mine, when I am pulling my seatbelt out to fasten it quickly, I almost always strike the horn pad and have many times hit the emblem with a "tock" only to look down and find that it's ok. I guess if you smacked it hard enough, it would dent......and no, that is not a warranty situation from GM's standpoint. :banghead:

#14 ·
I noticed the GMC emblem and said to myself this is going to get scratched and chipped. These are usually plastic encased to avoid damage. I do believe a safety recall is going to be coming on this. Not for scratching or denting but what happens when the air bag deploys? Do you get a GMC logo stamped in reverse on your face? All the air bags I see have the logos cut in the material. I lost my last car due to an accident with the air bags going off. Maybe the emblem would stay connected some how but I wouldn't count on it. I would like to hear your opinions.

Bobby

#15 ·
That's a good point; I am hoping the emblem will stay on the steering wheel and not fly off in the case of airbag deployment.

#16 ·
DeForger said:
I noticed the GMC emblem and said to myself this is going to get scratched and chipped. These are usually plastic encased to avoid damage. I do believe a safety recall is going to be coming on this. Not for scratching or denting but what happens when the air bag deploys? Do you get a GMC logo stamped in reverse on your face? All the air bags I see have the logos cut in the material. I lost my last car due to an accident with the air bags going off. Maybe the emblem would stay connected some how but I wouldn't count on it. I would like to hear your opinions.

Bobby
When an airbag deploys the cover stays attached to the steering wheel. I think that if it didn't stay attached the GMC logo would be the least of your worries.

#17 ·
They may stay attached, but usually have weak points or designated rip areas where they open to allow the airbag to come out. Question is, will that force or is that area near the center emblem ???

#18 ·
Ironically the company I work for is "CMG ...", so if the emblem "branded" my forehead in a crash I'd likely be voted "most dedicated employee"!

Happy New Year to all,

Drew

#19 ·
no wonder why the big three are going under...bogus warranty claims...that not the only reason, but i am sure it adds to it.
CMG ;D, ha...you would be employee of the year!

#20 ·
coloradoGM said:
DeForger said:

Bobby
When an airbag deploys the cover stays attached to the steering wheel. I think that if it didn't stay attached the GMC logo would be the least of your worries.
When my wife crashed our Pontiac Bonneville and the air bags deployed. The drivers side bag at the steering wheel split open from the middle with four slices in an X shape. The bag caused marks on her face but the worst was the powder that came out caused shortness of breath. She had to go to the hospital and get treated for inhaling that stuff. Now with that GMC logo(metal disk) in the center where the bag should deploy maybe it would stay on one of the flaps and just move to the side. If it didn't and came straight or at an angle at you it could cause a serious injury. I don't remember see anything like this put on an air bag before.

Bobby

Bobby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.