GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why doesn't GM use number pads on their cars? I've grown so accustomed to my Expedition that I keep leaving the house to grab something out of the car, only to have to come back in to grab my keys. If they had the key pad option, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That so 1990's... Please don't put a 9-keypunch touchpad on the side of my car!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohh, guess I'm dating myself. So it's supposed to be "in" to carry keys everywhere...hmm, I must have missed that evolution...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Ohh, guess I'm dating myself. So it's supposed to be "in" to carry keys everywhere...hmm, I must have missed that evolution...
Hey Jake, I like the idea too! Especially when I leave the keys in the car. I guess I could call OnStar but what if I leave my cell in the car too?? Who cares if your dating yourself, not physically dating...(took me a minute to understand) I missed the era of the key pad on the door thing as well. I wouldn't mind having it now. Better yet, fingerprint, voice or eyeball recognition would be cool as well as long as I can get into the dang car. ;)
I'm with ya buddy!! :cheers:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I guess it would be competing with On-Star. I know it's a big seller of On-Star to fix the keys in the car problem...Funny, I never had that problem with my Expedition...and I ALWAYS leave my keys in that car...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Jake_99 said:
Yeah, I guess it would be competing with On-Star. I know it's a big seller of On-Star to fix the keys in the car problem...Funny, I never had that problem with my Expedition...and I ALWAYS leave my keys in that car...
Smart that way a thief only has to break the window or pick the lock to take it. No need for any other extra work they'd have to do.... :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I want a high school locker dial on my drivers' door. True keyless, even with battery failure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
toasteroven said:
I want a high school locker dial on my drivers' door. True keyless, even with battery failure.
Too funny... ;D

I'll use the ole Fonzy elbow on the door and it should pop right open.

·
Registered
339 Posts
joebrandon1977 said:
...Please don't put a 9-keypunch touchpad on the side of my car!
:ditto:

I don't want anything like that on mine either.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Why doesn't GM use number pads on their cars? I've grown so accustomed to my Expedition that I keep leaving the house to grab something out of the car, only to have to come back in to grab my keys. If they had the key pad option, I'd buy it.
Go to an automotive upgrade store, and see if they can wire a hidden push button switch on the underside of the car to the chasis. Have it wired to your door locks so when you push the button it unlocks the door. Some Fire department units have that so that we can lock the doors and unlock them without keys. I would imagine it could be done on a normal Private vehicle. Just a matter of finding someone to do it. It is probably not common at all, so many thieves wouldnt even look for the button, just don't leave your keys in the ignition for them to see it. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ya know those neat stick on vents from autozone would compliment the keypad quite nicely.... :thumb:

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need to purchase a Mercedes or Lexus, all you need to do is have a fob or card on your person that contains a chip, as you approach the car the doors will automatically unlock, then sit in the seat and press a button and the car will start, they use a Radio Frequency. We could just implant one of these RF chips under our skin and never ever have to worry about not being able to open our doors again ::)

Check this out - if you have 20 minutes you to can break the keypad code and get into any of these vehicles in 20 minutes. http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1520430

Not sure I could press 3129 keys in 20 minutes but heck - A brick through the window seems much faster :cheers:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Jake_99 said:
Does your house have keyless entry too?

Whats better about memorizing a code and punching in numbers? Just push the keyfob button and you are in.

I did notice at the latest car show that Ford was the only one still putting these on their cars. Another reason not to buy a Ford!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually, my house DOES have keyless entry! I installed Powerbolts on the main entry door and garage/mudroom entry. Combination locks FTW! ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
A lot of cars do true keyless entry. No keys to unlock doors, and no key to start the engine. You need the fob. That's it. It unlocks the car when your within 10 to 15 feet. Push button start. Toyota, Nissan, and others are doing this. Why GM hasn't started yet is beyond me. I have heated windshield washer fluid and a HUD, why can't I have keyless entry and start?

·
Registered
71 Posts
THE TOOTH said:
A lot of cars do true keyless entry. No keys to unlock doors, and no key to start the engine. You need the fob. That's it. It unlocks the car when your within 10 to 15 feet. Push button start. Toyota, Nissan, and others are doing this. Why GM hasn't started yet is beyond me. I have heated windshield washer fluid and a HUD, why can't I have keyless entry and start?
GM does and you can, just have to buy a Vette.... ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
rolloffhill said:
GM does and you can, just have to buy a Vette.... ;)
Or an STS, or XLR. The CTS has it too but you have to turn a dummy key in place where the real key would be instead of pushing a button.

I don't think that this feature would fit the rugged, truck type look that GMC is going for. I think this feature would be better suited to any of the other Lambdas (the Enclave and Traverse especially). Who knows in the near future it will be odd for a car not to have this feature! Even the 2009 Corolla has it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Traclavelook said:
Actually, my house DOES have keyless entry! I installed Powerbolts on the main entry door and garage/mudroom entry. Combination locks FTW! ;D

You'll never believe what I have....It's totally getto....2 nails hammered into the trim of the garage door that are wired to the garage door opener...I just take off my ring and lay it across the nails and magically the door opens. We had a key pad, but my husband had to keep changing the code so the kids...teenagers...would stay out of the garage. It's a secret so don't tell anyone. This is usually for when we go riding and don't want to bring a set of keys. K... y'all can stop laughing now!! :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Exactly how does that work? Seriously? Two nails? :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts