GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 07 Acadia with a sun roof. Last night while driving home the sun roof suffered a pressure differential, it blew out. Not exactly but it did crack (shatter), on the inside, the outside window is basically intact, the bulge is inside to outside. At first I thought it was a rock but upon inspection once I got home indicates that it is not a rock.
We took the vehicle to the dealership, and they told us that the service manager had to look at it, he did, then we were told that the next level manager had to look at it (they took pictures) and make the decission on warranty or not, and if he would not it would have to go to the next level. Interesting!
I have several questions.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Does anyone know if GM has had any reports on this.
Perhaps a thicker section of glass it required to withstand pressure differentials.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some more info please...

Picture if possible?
Which sunroof?
What was the outside temp?
Location-driving through mountain/hill area?

I have heard of isolated cases in which the tailgate window of a vehicle (non lambda) has shattered.

This is a mysterious occurrence. I wonder if the tempering of the glass was incorrectly completed at the glass factory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have an 07 with a factory sunroof, how can it not be covereed by the warranty? Why did so many people have to look at it. It seems that they should have told you no problem, it will be replaced. And they probably should give you a loaner to drive while they are waiting for parts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
scarpi said:
If you have an 07 with a factory sunroof, how can it not be covereed by the warranty? Why did so many people have to look at it. It seems that they should have told you no problem, it will be replaced. And they probably should give you a loaner to drive while they are waiting for parts.
My guess is that they are trying to determine if the glass was defective in some way or if it was damaged after it left the dealership. If it was damaged after it left the dealer it may be an insurance claim.

The OP doesn't mention if it's the front or back sunroof. The front sunroof sort of floats in its opening and if there was a pressure differential I'd think that it would just pop up. The rear one is fixed and I'd guess that if the glass was defective in some way it could just spontaneously shatter with any vibrations from driving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did a baseball, football or soccer ball hitting the sunroof create the pressure differential? ;)

Never heard of anything like this before - I'm sure the service managers and performing their due deligence as any good service department would before they hand out cash and replacements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well first off it sounds like no one else has had that occur to them which is some what comforting.

I will try to answer all questions.
no NOTHING hit the window from the inside or the outside.
it was about -10 C we live in Canada (you do the math)
it was the front one
I have no idea why so many people have to look at it
I have no idea why it is not (yet to be determined) warranty
If I knew how the PD occured I could explain that (dealer people think that) I have no idea.
We were in the city not mountains

As I said "Has anyone else had this issue" but I gather not.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Due to the bulge going from inside to outside and the temps being so low, I'm going with a glass manufacturing defect. I'm assuming that the sunroof is two pieces of glass with a laminate sheet in the middle counstructed like a windshield. It seems as if the interior glass attempted to expanded further than the exterior glass which was exposed to some pretty cold temps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts