GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For folks who have ordered acadias and waiting for the delivery: there is bad and good news! First the bad news: Your vehicles might not be delivered as soon as you wish. Good news: New orders will be picked up soon, but not sure how soon.

This is my experience:
I am in Texas and signed a “buy order form” for a new acadia (because none of the dealers arounds me had the specs on the acadia as per my likes) at a local dealership during the last week of April 2008. I waited for the order number for a couple of weeks before I visited the dealership atleast twice. Eventually, I had them place the order and generate the order number in front of me. Well, actually the general manager was nice enough to do that for me personally. He also said that even though a order number is generated, it would be picked up by the GM manufacturing plant only during the once-a-week batch order pickup process. 2 full weeks had passed since the order number was generated and the order has not been picked up yet. This morning, when I talked to the dealership, I was told that the American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc strike at the acadia/outlook/enclave plant ended only last Fri (05/30/08) and new orders on acadias will be picked up soon and mine will be in the pipeline as the orders get picked up. As per my research, the strike lasted for 3 months until 05/30/08. See below article for more details:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/23/news/companies/american_axle.ap/index.htm

Good Luck!
Aslesh

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
kanderna said:
lingohocken said:
The American Axle strike has/had nothing to do with any of the Lambdas.
Really?

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/16/news/companies/gm_strike.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008051618

The Delta Township factory is the only one that makes the crossovers, and industry analysts have said the strike was aimed at getting GM involved in a bitter 80-day strike against American Axle and Manufacturing Holdings Inc (AXL).
He may have been referring to the fact that American Axle doesn't produce parts used by the Lambdas. But yes, the strike at LDT may have "unofficially" encouraged GM to help settle the strike at AXL.

·
Registered
166 Posts
GeoHawk said:
He may have been referring to the fact that American Axle doesn't produce parts used by the Lambdas.
Ah, of course. I didn't even land there for some reason. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
He may have been referring to the fact that American Axle doesn't produce parts used by the Lambdas. But yes, the strike at LDT may have "unofficially" encouraged GM to help settle the strike at AXL.
Yup, exactly. Sorry if there was any confusion.

(PS, GeoHawk, hope you didn't encounter those tornadoes last week. We just returned from Mitchell and Jewell and got out just before they hit several places, including an in-law's house in Glen Elder. Hail today, too.)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
lingohocken said:
Yup, exactly. Sorry if there was any confusion.

(PS, GeoHawk, hope you didn't encounter those tornadoes last week. We just returned from Mitchell and Jewell and got out just before they hit several places, including an in-law's house in Glen Elder. Hail today, too.)
I'm about 80 miles south of KC, so most of the 'nados were well west of us over Memorial Day weekend, but it was wild watching all the coverage on the Weather Channel. Even so, we've had plenty of close encounters this year as well. Luckily most of them have tracked about 20 miles south of our location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aslesh,

What's the status of your order? We ordered one in early May, but try as we may, our dealer has kept us in the dark. Oh well, we'll keep them in the dark unless we get a great incentive! ;D

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
After waiting about a week and a half from the time I gave my dealer a monetary deposit, I finally became aware of some progress. ::) :eek:
He actually sent me an e-mail (unsolicited) and informed me that I now have an "official" order number! ;D :thumb:

Well . . . Now I can say that I will be an "confirmed" member of the Acadia owner's club in say, . . .
3 months? (I hope it will be sooner). :(

But, at least there is some hope that I will eventually get one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
detnick said:
After waiting about a week and a half from the time I gave my dealer a monetary deposit, I finally became aware of some progress. ::) :eek:
He actually sent me an e-mail (unsolicited) and informed me that I now have an "official" order number! ;D :thumb:

Well . . . Now I can say that I will be an "confirmed" member of the Acadia owner's club in say, . . .

Congrats detnick!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my 2008 GMC Saga:[/color] Bottomline is that I ordered my vehicle on 04/23/08 and got the order ACTUALLY placed and got the order number on 05/19/08 and GM bailed out on me on 06/09/08 saying that the ORDER WILL NOT BE HONORED.

04/23/08: Signed buyer’s order with the internet salesrep (IS) at dealership and made a $500 deposit

05/01/08: Tried to reach the internet salesrep ‘A’ to get order number. I was told that he is OOO.

05/02/08: Talked to ‘A’ and he said that he would call GM rep to get status

05/15/08: Met ‘A’ and blasted him for the delay and said that I wanted to meet his supervisor. Met General Sales Manager ‘B’

05/16/08: Talked to ‘B’ and he said that he left a message for the local district GM rep ‘D’. Later found out that it was a blatant lie.

05/17/08: Talked to ‘B’ and he said that he has the order number on table and he would get back to me after dealing with 2 customers

05/19/08: Talked to ‘B’ and he said that he has not placed the order and he can either refund me the $500 deposit or place an order within 24hrs and get me an order number. Met him and told him that I wanted to meet his supervisor. Met general manager ‘C’ and he obliged and placed the order in front of me and gave me the order number. Also got in writing from ‘B’ on the final sale price. You won’t believe the price that I got it for when I signed it for the options that I ordered…it was the bext Acadia deal I had come across. Literally I squeezed out the dealer’s profit on this deal.

05/23/08: The order gets picked up during the nightly batch processing every Tuesday and we will know if GM really picked up that order number on Fri morning. I talked to ‘A’ and he confirmed that the order did not get picked up this week.

05/30/08: A week later, I talked to ‘A’ and he did not know how to see if the order got picked up this week. I am surprised how an internet salesman is so ignorant. I asked him if ‘B’ or ‘C’ can assist him, but ‘B’ was out with a customer and ‘C’ was in a meeting. Later, ‘A’ called back and said that he talked to ‘C’ (general manager) and he showed him how to check the order pickup status and he confirmed that the order was not picked up this week. However, he said that as ‘D’ (local district GM rep) is OOO today, ‘C’ would call him the 1st thing on Monday and make sure that the order got picked up next week.

06/02/08: ‘A’ called and said that ‘C’ talked to the district rep who told that the acadia manufacturing plant was on strike until last Fri and the production might start from today. But according to the CNN report that I had, the strike lasted from Apr 17-May 18, so it was kind of very conflicting.

06/09/08: ‘A’ calls me and says that even though the order number was generated, GM has stopped accepting new 2008 Acadia orders and they are about to start 2009 ones once the in-production 2008 Acadias are complete. Meanwhile I heard from another dealership that once an order number is generated, GM will HONOR the order for the customer, but that is not TRUE in my case. ‘A’ said that ‘C’ talked to ‘D’ (local GM district manager for Austin area) and he said that GM cannot pickup new orders for 2008 acadias anymore. So, can GM be sued for this?

06/17/08: After my repeated calls to the dealership, they refunded me back my $500 deposit. If I had not called, they would have swallowed that amount like money-suckers!

So, now I have to wait until mid July to order a new 2009 Acadia, because that is when the dealerships at Austin will accept orders for 2009 ones.

Lessons learnt
During these 2 months, I found out that A and B are big liars and I am not surprised. You should have seen the face of A when I went to meet him in person without giving him any notice on 05/15/08 (see above details for that date). He was surprised, shocked and sweating when he saw me. He never in his dreams would have thought that I would drive 15-20 miles just to get my order number. Once the general manager C ordered me the vehicle and gave me the number, the behavior of A completely changed and has been very responsible since then.

Also one more thing I learnt was that just the order number does not guarantee you that GM is going to start the production process from that day or the next day. GM allocates a “new order” quantity limit for every dealer for every week. If the limit has reached for that week, then your order has to wait until next week before the batch process can pick it up. Also, the dealer can mark your order under different categories. Make sure your order is marked as “sold out” which will prioritize the order pickup process.

-Aslesh

·
Registered
812 Posts
detnick said:

Congrats for another future Acadia owner!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just received a response from my dealership regarding an inquiry about the Status Codes on my order. I wanted to confirm that GM had actually picked-up the order. ???

He informed me that, in fact, GM had picked up the order but actual production will not start until July 21st. ??? He also indicated that production weeks are assigned to different dealerships or areas, and suggested that although GM picked-up the order there is no guarantee that his orders will be produced in the first or second week of production. He will advise me when they do. ::)

Is anyone else aware of this target date for production? Isn't that sort of late as compared to production start-up and re-tooling over previous model years?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
detnick said:
I just received a response from my dealership regarding an inquiry about the Status Codes on my order. I wanted to confirm that GM had actually picked-up the order. ???

He informed me that, in fact, GM had picked up the order but actual production will not start until July 21st. ??? He also indicated that production weeks are assigned to different dealerships or areas, and suggested that although GM picked-up the order there is no guarantee that his orders will be produced in the first or second week of production. He will advise me when they do. ::)

Is anyone else aware of this target date for production? Isn't that sort of late as compared to production start-up and re-tooling over previous model years?
July 21st is the date I've seen for 2009 production start-up http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3910.0 The original switchover date was mid-June but was pushed back because of the Lansing Delta Township strike. IIRC, GM wanted to build-out as many of the 2008 orders as possible that were already in the system and sequenced. That pushed the final build-out of the 08s back about a month to mid-July and thus pushed back start-up of the 09s by the same amount.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just happened to come across an article in the Santa Cruz Sentinel dated June 23, 2008. The title of the article addressed the increase in price for all of the GM lines, including the 2009 Acadia. The article also mentioned GM's projected production schedule. The article, which was lengthy, made reference to a number of GM factory shutdowns and temporary layoffs to offset the reduction in demand for trucks and SUV's. It mentioned a reallocation of resources to bolster production lines of GM badges that were in demand.

I also found a reference at another site regarding the cut-off dates for ordering the 2008 Acadias and the start-up of the 2009 model year which they list as July 16, 2008. The site address is listed below.

Also to handle the market shift, GM announced that it will add Saturday production at its Kansas City, Kan., and Delta Township, Mich., factories. The Kansas City plant makes the hot-selling Chevrolet Malibu and Delta Township makes the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossover vehicles. The company already has plans to add a third shift in Lordstown, Ohio, and Orion Township, Mich., to increase car production.

http://fleetnews.gm.ca/news_flash/en/production_schedules.shtml
[[url]http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_9674709/url]

By the way, I had to modify this post because, as coincidence would have it, I just received an e-mail from my dealer. He stated that GM notified him that "target production date for [my] Acadia is July 21, 2008". There was no mention of Status Codes or additional information. Hopefully, the July 21st date will give others some idea or reference point where their order may be in the pipeline.
So, GeoHawk, looks like your information was correct about the date of production. What the dealer gave me was just a generic date that the 2009 production will start, not the date they will begin building my particular vehicle.
Hmmm . . . this is starting to get really interesting. ??? ::)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
asleshgt, that was a well-documented bad experience. I was facing a similar deal for a new Dodge before we were Lambda shopping. Is it any wonder why these places are not selling new vehicles? It shouldn't be a part-time job on your part to order a new vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts