GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the June issue of Tralier Boats Magazine, there is a test of a 2008 GMC Acadia. It is tested towing a 3960 lb, 19' Chaparal open bow boat.
Unfortunately, as of today, trailer boats did not have the article on the web, only in print. Watch for it though at www.trailerboats.com.
It was a great article, and they had a lot of praise for the towing capability of our favorite rig!

One particular note, was that they had a 2wd version, and stated in the article that they wished they had an all wheel drive test version. The front wheel drive version slipped a lot on the boat ramp when pulling the boat out of the water. They also said that the engine pulled well, but that the transmssion shifted around a lot until they used the manumatic function to control upshifts.

I am more excited than ever to tow my Sea Ray 185. Based on the trailer boats test, I'll have no issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
812 Posts
its funny how the new feature "Hill Start Assist" in the 2009 Honda Pilot which automatically engages the brakes when on a steep incline to prevent slip, ( a useful feature when towing a boat out of the water ) showed the Pilot vs. Acadia (looks very well like it) on the demo video.....

heres the link ---> http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/features.aspx?Feature=hillstart

:uzi: Honda GUYS!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
EKinMN said:
I am more excited than ever to tow my Sea Ray 185. Based on the trailer boats test, I'll have no issue.
You shouldn't even feel your Sea Ray back there. We towed our Sea Ray 180 behind our Montana and it did very well back there, even with the van full. Your 185 shouldn't be much heavier than our 180, good luck (but you won't need it)

P.S. NICE BOAT!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have towed my Maxum 1800SR a number of times including a 5 hour one way trip to the Colorado River a few weeks ago from the San Diego, CA area and it towed fine. I was only able to get around 11.5 MPG and had to stop to get gas half way through the trip. My boats gas tank was about 3/4 full on the trip out there and on the return trip I was pretty much empty. I was surprised to see that my fuel milaege actually went down with the lighter boat. On my return trip my milaege went downt to 9.5 MPG. I will atribute that that to the fact that it is a long uphill grade coming out of the desert. My only dissapointment was all of the transmission shift changes. I will try the Trailer Boats recommended shifting method on our next trip to the river in August and see how it works. I have launched/recovered the boat about 10 times and have never had any ramp slippage problems, although I do have an AWD version.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, toyjunkie and and expreschef!
I hit 2000 miles, and decided the Acadia was broken in enough to try towing. We went about 20 miles to a nearby lake, and it towed just great. You could tell there was some weight back there when accelerating, but other than that, it was great. The Acadia pulled up a moderately steep boat ramp with no issue. Lots of people at the boat launch were asking about the Acadia.
Hot wife, new tow vehicle, great boat, sunny day, couple beers...wow...what an awesome day to be ME! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SioXie said:
its funny how the new feature "Hill Start Assist" in the 2009 Honda Pilot which automatically engages the brakes when on a steep incline to prevent slip, ( a useful feature when towing a boat out of the water ) showed the Pilot vs. Acadia (looks very well like it) on the demo video.....
Wow, that video just makes me want to go out any buy a 2009 honda pilot.....NOT!!!!!

Anyway, God gave us two feet for a reason. If you can't utilize both feet in that kind of
situation, maybe you shouldn't be towing anything!

·
Registered
164 Posts
SioXie said:

heres the link ---> http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/features.aspx?Feature=hillstart

:uzi: Honda GUYS!!!
They have to have some sort of gimmick to cover the "stellar" gas mileage that the fancy cylinder deactivation doesn't return despite its smaller size when compared to a Lambda. For the room and looks, I'd still stick with my Lambda.
I've learned to use both feet driving steep hills in Seattle.
I can imagine someone getting used to the hill assist in their Pilot and then driving the other family car which doesn't have it - oops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have been towing a 22' 3300 lbs TT for about 1000 miles with my Outlook. TT is 8' wide so I get a lot of wind drag. Initially, I was using the Tow button feature but switched to manual selection during first trip. What a difference. Better mileage and I am in control. Keep the tranny on 4th gear uphills and on 5th on flat terrain, if I get to 65 - 70 mph mark. Stability is great thanks to Lambda's long wheelbase - I don't even have a sway control - no need.

J33

1 - 9 of 9 Posts