1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Okee, Dokee, Great news!

·
Registered
99 Posts
:blob: That is great news! Now hopefully my vehicle will ship! This has made my day. I went from being excited first thing Monday morning that my vehicle had a status of "produced" to having my bubble burst at 11:00 am Monday when they went on strike. This is great news! Hopefully now I should see my vehicle within the next two weeks. :blob:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dah...I was really hoping GM would finally rid themselves of the UAW. They are a cancer...and GM would be so much better off without them (see Toyota and Honda plants...their non-union workers seem quite happy).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't want to get flamed, but unions are for the stone ages.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cravenfan said:
I don't want to get flamed, but unions are for the stone ages.
No disagreement from me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There was a time in America when they were absolutely necessary. Now they are breaking the back of American industry. Time to phase them out but I don't think the current UAW workers should be just dumped in the streets. Many of them are honest hardworking individuals who bought into the deal, rite or wrong, in good faith. They should be helped in some way. Others are as lazy and corrupt as the system they work in and take advantage of. I guess they deserve what they get.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My big takeaway (and I will admit uneducated on the UAW) is that the union will now be managing their own benefits for their retirees instead of GM - I know that is a huge expense and it will be interesting to see if the union does any better.

FWIW, I saw my father's union go to bat for him 10 years ago when he was suffering thru depression and anxiety attacks that were directly brought on by his job - 25 years in 911 emergency and police dispatch - and the union demanded a position be created for him to maintain his employment and not just be put on disability. It was the best decision for my dad - he probably could have been on disability and not returned to his job but I bet it would have been very "depressing" and would have made it worse. But they created a position in research and PR that was perfect for him and when he retired 4 years ago, they had to replace him with 2 people.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mama2girls said:
My big takeaway (and I will admit uneducated on the UAW) is that the union will now be managing their own benefits for their retirees instead of GM - I know that is a huge expense and it will be interesting to see if the union does any better.
I think it is just for FUTURE retirees, not the 500,000 current ones. They still had to give them something like $50B. GM is only worth $20B. The math astounds me. By my claculation, GM saved $11 Mil in pay in the 2 days that they were idled. No doubt, the production loses will be nil. Makes you wonder if this was not a pre-conceived pseudo-strike. Either way, all is well, I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.