GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have decided GM needs someone else to write their instructions for them. Horrible directions missing about 4 steps in between.

But I digress.

Installed roof rails following instructions from this site. Very easy. Words of advice.....

1- go to Sears or somewhere and get a torx screwdriver that matches the head size. Makes life so much easier.

2 -test fit all tie down knobs before you slide bars down the rail. IF it doesn't screwcorrectly change the way you have the metal insert facing

3 - the screwsthat have brown/red marking or without the post inthe middle are for the mounting on the slider rail

4 - do not attempt to pre-assemble and then slidedown the track. It won'twork...trustme.

Installed the Thule Box. Nice box and what looks like easy mounting instructions. Using the above listed rails you willhave to cut the rubber inserts in the rails.

Words of adivce.....

1 - Test fit the box. Get a sharpie and mark the rubber as where to cut.

2 - replace the end covers before mounting the box

Pics tocome soon

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I mounted the GM Thule box, I removed the rubber inserrt. I reinstalled it after I took off the box. BTW, I really like the color of your Acadia.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kantkwit said:
When I mounted the GM Thule box, I removed the rubber inserrt. I reinstalled it after I took off the box. BTW, I really like the color of your Acadia.
Likewise on the color. :thumb:

I was going to do that but was afraid of wind noise or whistling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got some rails from the dealer. I went to install them and they are too big. The smaller rail won't slide back past the 2nd moon roof. The larger rail (38" + inches long) wont fit in the 36" gap between the widest part of the rails.

My initial thought is that that 2008 might be narrower than the 2007 and the parts list isn't updated yet....or I just got the wrong part.

Did the part change, or did the dealer mess up?

The part number on the web shows 12499868, but the instructions that came with the rails show the part number as 19159818.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
524 Posts
They should adjust. Did you try sliding them in and out? Seems to me I remember they are not front back specific either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dont know. It sounds like you may not have got the correct rails. I had no problems on my 08. The one rail was maybe a 1/4" - 1/2" larger than the other.

·
Registered
230 Posts
one of them is definitely longer than the other, but I don't recall which. there's another thread on this site with specifics.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan-M said:
They should adjust. Did you try sliding them in and out? Seems to me I remember they are not front back specific either.
Incorrect. They are frontand back specific.

Stand them side by side and the tallerone is the front rail.

They also both adjust.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sigmax164 said:
I just got some rails from the dealer. I went to install them and they are too big. The smaller rail won't slide back past the 2nd moon roof. The larger rail (38" + inches long) wont fit in the 36" gap between the widest part of the rails.

My initial thought is that that 2008 might be narrower than the 2007 and the parts list isn't updated yet....or I just got the wrong part.

Did the part change, or did the dealer mess up?

The part number on the web shows 12499868, but the instructions that came with the rails show the part number as 19159818.

Thoughts?
No offense,but why would the make a car or the distance between roof rails ona brand new vehicle narrower in a few months??

Make sure the sliding part on each rail iscollapsed.

Do not installthe brackets on the roof rail and then try and slideonthe roof rails. Follow the directions. Insert the guides into the rail,slide into place, mount one side of the rail and then extend other side and mount the other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just contacted Thule about what boxes fit the GMC Acadia. According to THULE (directly), they don't have a box that fits!

They are expecting an update in September from Thule HQ in Sweden, but there is no guarantee that the current boxes will be warranteed with Acadia.

While the GM/Thule box looks OK, I'm looking for something a bit larger.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much larger?

this takes up most (3/4) of the roof space.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How much is the Thule-GM box?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I paid $329. Ordered through dealer. called parts dept and they didn;t have one. Located one in MA and they had it 2ndday to them.

Didn't cost shipping.

Ordering through Gm Partsdirect will cost $$$$$ in shipping. oxis a lot cheaper but shipping will kill you. They quote very little but they will change it on you.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anyone have pictures of the mounting hardware for the Thule box
or even a copy of the GM direction sheet?

I'd like to see how different the mounting hardware is to the hardware
in my current Thule Box.

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
We only paid 300 for our GM Thule box when we ordered it we like the box but the opening is a bit small to load things I wish it opened more like the Sears box and it would then be perfect.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
crazycrew said:
How much can you actually fit in here. I have been thinking about ordering it for my 2010
:welcome:

This post hasn't seen action for over a year; you may want to go to the Thule site directly since you are asking about a 2010; there may be some differences from the previous model years. Let us know what you find out if you decide to go with them

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
crazycrew said:
How much can you actually fit in here. I have been thinking about ordering it for my 2010
I just used mine on the way to FL for vaca. It will hold 110lbs-50lbs in the center and 30lbs on each end. The part# is 19132632. We filled it up with space bags,shoes etc. you can only open it from the back and you have to stand on something to get into it(kind of a pain). On the way down it was downpouring rain and when we got to FL I found a little bit of water had gotten in and some of the stuff got wet :sosad:. Look for one that you can open from the side, you will be happier :).

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I had a Sears cargo carrier that looked very similar to the Thule. Very water tight when I drove through heavy rain in FL.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I have this.... not hard plastic--- but easy to fold and store when not in use.
I have used it for long trips.
I put soft stuff up there- clothes and such- I place the stuff in plastic bags in case it rains---
Its water resistant.... not water proof...
It will keep water out for a bit--- but with water coming at you at 60 MPH- it will eventually get in thru the seams etc...
but a good alternative of you dont have the room to store the large plastic one.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts